Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were working on the roll at the lake and some guy told me I was doing it all wrong. He started explaining how I should change but I didn’t understand him. This is a video of my roll when everything feels right, can you look at it and give me your opinions. YouTube - Kayak Roll

·
Registered
14 Posts
A few things to try

Pretty good to perfect your roll try this.
Keep your offside hand lower to the deck as you roll up.
Try not to let the offside had move past the center line of your chest as you rotate back. (turn your torso more arms less).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not saying its broke, but it could be better.

He asked for a critique and I gave it to him. He is making a few fundamental mistakes that may hinder the rolls effectiveness in moving water.

·
Registered
7 Posts
looks good if it works for you. try a weakside roll too - you never know which side you'll go over on when in fast moving water. When weakside roll is bomber, try a hand roll - it's really not that hard and a damn good thing to know when you flip and your paddle gets ripped from your grip.

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
As Boatcrasher said your left arm seems to coming a bit high and punching some.

But...I also swam today.. so...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Try your hip snap sooner, you must pull with the inside hip/knee a micro second before you sweep the paddle through. This will let you rotate the boat upright faster without pulling your paddle so deep.:grin:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rolls looks pretty solid except that your paddle is diving pretty deep. Keep your left elbow in tighter to your body and try to sweep your paddle across the top of the water instead of straight down. Try a sweeping action instead of a c to c stroke.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not my style but looks like you have a solid roll. From my point of view it looks like you are muscling the boat back up with the paddle. Pulling the blade down requires some energy and can hurt your shoulder. Check out this sweep roll video.

YouTube - Twist and Slice Kayak Roll Identifier.

He calls it a "Twist and Slice" I call it a sweep. Try that out It's effortless when you get it right.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would say that looks pretty solid for your first year. If you have been having problems with combat rolls I would watch your right hand blade closely in the video. It would change your roll some, but if you can get the blade to sweep across the surface more, you will get better purchase (resistance) off the water and will come up easier.

I also second the wait ten seconds and then try. Also try practing falling to your right and then coming up on the right.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It's working, but it could use some work, too.

Of course your first and biggest mistake was asking for people's opinions/criticisms here on the buzz :rolleyes:
That being said, you seem to be wasting a lot of energy by pulling your paddle blade down in the water and 'punching' with your off-side hand. My guess is you miss a fair number of first-attempt combat rolls. Try twisting more at the torso, keeping your shoulders square, and following your rolling paddle blade with your eyes more. Roll your off-side wrist backwards as you finish the roll, which helps shed resistance on your rolling blade. You'll have a stronger roll, fewer shoulder problems, and you'll make more first rolls in aerated or burly river conditions. 'Punching' with that off-side hand will only make your paddle blade dive straight down along the boat, either contacting with the bottom or just making you miss your combat rolls entirely.

The Spelius video is good, but there are better teaching methods out there now, specifically many of the instructors who have been through Mick Hopkinson's school down in Murchison, NZ. People coming out of that school have the most effortless, bombproof rolls I've ever seen. Have modified my technique to try and use some of their new ideas accordingly, which is helping this old dog learn to save his shoulders and make more rolls in shitty places.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Of course your first and biggest mistake was asking for people's opinions/criticisms here on the buzz :rolleyes:
That being said, you seem to be wasting a lot of energy by pulling your paddle blade down in the water and 'punching' with your off-side hand. My guess is you miss a fair number of first-attempt combat rolls. Try twisting more at the torso, keeping your shoulders square, and following your rolling paddle blade with your eyes more. Roll your off-side wrist backwards as you finish the roll, which helps shed resistance on your rolling blade. You'll have a stronger roll, fewer shoulder problems, and you'll make more first rolls in aerated or burly river conditions. 'Punching' with that off-side hand will only make your paddle blade dive straight down along the boat, either contacting with the bottom or just making you miss your combat rolls entirely.

The Spelius video is good, but there are better teaching methods out there now, specifically many of the instructors who have been through Mick Hopkinson's school down in Murchison, NZ. People coming out of that school have the most effortless, bombproof rolls I've ever seen. Have modified my technique to try and use some of their new ideas accordingly, which is helping this old dog learn to save his shoulders and make more rolls in shitty places.
You know of any links to vids of that method? ty

·
Registered
286 Posts
You know of any links to vids of that method? ty
I'll have to ask Mick. He lives just down the street here during our summer. Not sure if there's any video posted anywhere. Several Kiwis who work in NZ for him come up here and work for the summers, and they all are pretty much badass Kiwi paddlers who get a lot of hours in the boat, both here and down there. I've just never had my roll work so effortlessly since incorporating a few changes they suggested. Of course, it's like everything else in kayaking: practice, practice, practice, especially playboating, so the combat rolls are intuitive in the shit when creeking.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We went to the lake again tonight and while I can see what he is doing with the paddle in the other video, I couldn’t get the paddle to do it, my paddle sinks every time. I had my buddy, who’s also is learning, hold the blade of my paddle to keep it from sinking so I could feel the motion but I can’t recreate it yet. Oh well, thank you all for the info we’ll keep working on it. Oh and 10 seconds is a long time to hold your breath upside down, I almost didn’t have time for a second attempt when I failed, 3 seconds was plenty. I did the go over right come back up right it didn’t change anything accept setup time. I also started drilling offside T rescues so I can work on the offside role. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts