Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lurker
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I tried a search but I came up with nothin' so I ask......

Is it possible to eskimo roll a duckie?

Any tips?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I thought I saw someone who was strapped into one do it once in a video somewhere.

D

·
Registered
99 Posts
I know a ducky paddler who runs gnar, but every time he flips over he falls out. I'm pretty sure he's only got thigh straps to hold him in, so maybe you'd need something a bit more confining.

I tried a strider once and was kinda able to roll it (until my knee tapped out), but your feet are pretty well anchored in those things.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Rollin' a doobie would be easier - I've seen that done before.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I've rolled a duckie w/leg straps using a sea kayak roll; where you extend the paddle and hold the near-side blade with your hand- simlilar to this:
Or this one,

(without the other guy holding the paddle). You get twice the leverage with the paddle out that far and your hand on the end of the blade, because you can pry from below the waterline. But it's very difficult not to fall out of the duckie. Took me forever to get the roll.
Regardless, it would be very impractical or even dangerous in anything but flat water, so I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Rolling a duckie is tougher than being a western sloper posting on the buzz with a dial up connection and an alias. (all apologies)

But seriously, the hardest part of rolling a duckie is telling your parents you are gay (again all apologies, I love gay folks).

Is it just me or does that sea kayaker have s paddle sticking thru his arm? I wouldn't try rolling a duckie.

Steve.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's been done. I've seen a solid kayaker roll my stiletto on the skykomish at the big eddy takeout. took him 2 tries and he could barely do it.

The aire force is rollable, if you search boatertalk, or read the old posts in the rafters forum, there have been several threads about it.

But practically, it ain't all that useful. We were talking the other day about how different swimming is in the ducky. once we're out of the boat, yeah we're swimming, but we've got 700lbs of flotation, we've got a huge soft fender to ward off rocks, we've always got air to breathe, and we can self-rescue.

A hardsheller, though, once swimming is in a lot worse situation. When we separated from the boat, only then are we really in the shit. I may swim a lot, but I also almost always keep my boat, so it doesn't usually end being as long or as dangerous a swim as swimming out of a hardshell.

--B
Riverlog Redirect

·
Registered
428 Posts
There was some crazy French exchange student here in D-town a couple years ago who would use that sea kayak roll every time he rolled. Seemed like it took him forever to set up. He also didn't understand the idea of waiting your turn to get in the wave, but that's another story

·
Lurker
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I guess I do want to avoid the "talk" with the 'rents sward.

I may just take Geezer's suggestion anyway...

In seriousness though I am taking a flatwater trip and I'm sure it's going to be somewhat boring so I want to try some developing some sick-made duckie skills... You know.... so the sponsorships start rollin' in.

I hear duckie teams are the next big thing in whitewater. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have done it and it is a bitch. I agree with those who say that it is worthless on anything other than flat water. In gnar it is better to fall out and get back in. (probably a lot safer for all those involved)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I bet if you found a way to hook your feet under some type of strappage along with the knee straps you could get enough leverage to keep yourself in the boat long enough to attempt it.

Good luck.

Steve.

·
Registered
254 Posts
After hardshell kayaking for 20 years I picked up a couple of duckies last year. My back and hips just couldn't take being locked into a kayak anymore and a duckie is more comfortable. Also I wanted to do more self-supported trips and they are easier in an IK.

So my experience is limited. The only boat that I've attempted to roll is my Force Expedition. 1. It ain't easy. I could hand roll my hardshell but it took a lot of work to roll the IK - and occassionally I still miss or fall out in the process. The only reliable way for me to do it is with an extended paddle roll. It's not my preference but that's what it takes.

I don't have enough experience to say if an IK roll is useful or simply a trick. I've only done a combat roll a couple of times, but I can say it was a much more enjoyable experience than swimming. I HATE swimming. I got throttled in one violent rapid last year and there was no such thing as hanging onto the boat. Personally, if I'm going to run some continuous IV I sure feel better having the option of rolling. Maybe with more experience I'll give it up and just try and hop back in but I don't think so.

Note: I've seen an open canoe hand-rolled, both sides, so we're all nothing but wimps if we can't roll a lil ole IK :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts