Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
That's an awesome price for a great night's sleep on the river. Toss on a thermarest and you'll never go back to sleeping on the ground again. Not even on one of those hot, heavy, bulky Paco Pads. :p:p:p

·
Registered
374 Posts
My bro turned me onto these in 2004 before my first GC trip. Mine is still kicking, I thought it was excessive until it was like day 5 and everybodies stuff was covered with sand. Best money I have spent for camping.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Roll-a-cots

A Roll-a-cot and an old Thermarest is the frosting on any muti-day River trip! AND they really don't take up any more room than a hot,sticky paco pad.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I know that putting down the Paco Pad is considered sacrilegious by some, but.... I say arise from the ground my river brothers and sisters. Denounce the evil Paco and his ground dwelling ways. Rise above the sand, dirt, mud, and crawling creatures that dwell within your tent or in your campsite. Arise and see the light. Get thee therefore to the roll-a-cot, and repent of your Paco ways.
Sorry....I got a little carried away there....the roll-a-cot spirit was moving me. :):):)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I could see a roll-a-cot / paco combo working out pretty well too. Doubt I'll be dropping my paco for a thermarest, no need to bring both (el paco brings dual functionality for me)

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Only prob with the roll a cot is the height makes it harder to fit in a small tent. Several nights this summer just slept under the stars but could see how rain could put a damper on this

Anyone use a bivysack on their paco on their rollacot?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Amen brother !!!!! The Paco Pad is a false prophet of comfort.
If I didn't already have a roll-a-cot (9 years old and going strong) I'd be sorely tempted by that REI price.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Only prob with the roll a cot is the height makes it harder to fit in a small tent. Several nights this summer just slept under the stars but could see how rain could put a damper on this

I sleep under the stars on my RAC quite a bit. I've never thought about a bivy. If it looks like rain, or is raining, we have the tarp up, so I just move under the tarp for the night. I also keep a small tarp next to the cot just in case a storm pops up in the night. I can quickly throw it over me to ride out a quick mountain shower. If you have trees available, you can rig a small tarp for cover. Yes, the cot can determine you tent choice. I used mine for years with an REI Taj and now have a Big Agnes Coulton Creek. Because of a knee issue, I just couldn't do the ground dweller thing anymore. The cot has been a savior on the river. One thing I like about the RAC is that with four cot legs you can micro adjust with rocks to get a perfect level. No more sliding down or rolling off like a pad on the ground.

·
Registered
711 Posts

Yes. It works well. Bibler Tents makes, or made, it. Last time I went probing around it seems they got acquired by some company, maybe Black Diamond?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Slept under the stars at Jones two on Lodore, would have been great except for the skunks that kept coming in to see if we wanted to feed them. I pulled one of the dang things by his wiskers, I was asleep when it felt like a spider crawling on my hand, being half asleep I had the knee jerk reaction of smashing and pulling what ever was crawling on my hand. When I looked up there was a skunk running for the bushes, glad he did not try to defend it's self. Oh ya rool a cots...I have found that setting up on the sandy beaches you can sink in with the four leg models. I picked up some of the little carpeted discs that are made to put under furniture. This keeps you from settling into the sand, or from punching a hole in the floor of your tent. Those discs are way less bulky and lighter than blocks of wood.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Those carpeted discs you have will fit in the cot bag. You can also cut up little squares of scrap carpet. Many other ways to have sand support and tent floor protection.

By the way, Camptime makes a good mostly dry bag that holds two cots, or one cot and a fold up chair.

My cot is from 1999 and still works well. Great, simple design.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts