Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Used to be called an Invasive Species Permit.

You can buy online. You might be able to get one at the check in station too.

Either way, it’s required.

·
Shapp
1,824 Posts
Enforcement of the waterway access permit does not start until August 1, 2020 according to the Marine Board website. So if you have a trip before then, you don't need one.

Also my understanding is that if you have to pay a fee for a launch permit then you don't need the additional waterway access permit.

My John Day permit details state:
"Since you paid a fee for this permit, you do NOT need an Oregon Waterway Access Permit for this trip on the John Day River".

My impression is that this rule should also apply to other rivers in Oregon where a fee-based float permit is required, such as the Deschutes and Rogue.

Can anyone confirm similar language on recent permits acquired for the Deschutes or Rogue?

·
Registered
RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
457 Posts
Rangers on the Rogue are saying you need one but have not asked to see them...yet.

·
Shapp
1,824 Posts
Rangers on the Rogue are saying you need one but have not asked to see them...yet.

Which is because enforcement of the waterway access permit requirements does not start until August 1, 2020:
https://www.oregon.gov/osmb/boater-info/Pages/AIS-FAQs.aspx

The waterway access permit is not required if floating a federally designated wild and scenic river system for which a separate fee system is in place per the regulations (note that subsection 1 describes when the fee is required):

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to
c) A person operating a boat on a federally designated wild and scenic river for which a separate fee system is in place.

The Rogue River wild section requires a $10 per person fee. As a "separate fee system" is in place and the section is federally designated as "wild and scenic" then the regulations seem pretty clear that a waterway access permit is not needed for the wild section of the Rogue no matter what the rangers seem to think.

·
Registered
18 Posts
While I agree with Shapp's interpretation of the regs, I was specifically told that I needed the waterway access permit by the ranger when I picked up some cancellations for mid-July last week. Already have it for other rivers, so not a big deal to me, but they are definitely sending out mixed information.

·
Shapp
1,824 Posts
Keep in mind that the waterway access permit is new and is State of Oregon regulation. The BLM river rangers have no more authority to enforce this Oregon regulation than they do to check you for correct state of Oregon hunting or fishing license, check to make sure you have a drivers license when operating a motor vehicle, or write you a speeding ticket on the road to the putin. It is very clear from the waterway access permit language that a waterway access permit is not needed on the wild and scenic section of the Rogue if you are paying an additional fee to the BLM to float the river, so long as you are using the putin and takeout associated with that wild and scenic section. If you say, putin upstream at Hog Creek, then you would need the waterway access permit to float from there down to Grave Creek

1 - 8 of 8 Posts