Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 40 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wish James err Jamie the best with their transition. Watch out for those KKK rafting gangs!

It’s true that the rogue in fall has a bit of a territorial feel like a surf spot (count the non-Sotards next time). I’ve only experienced it as good-natured and friendly. If this is a genuine post, I’m sorry this happened to you. Look me up if you’re out here again; I’m glad to help right these wrongs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I wish James err Jamie the best with their transition. Watch out for those KKK rafting gangs!

It’s true that the rogue in fall has a bit of a territorial feel like a surf spot (count the non-Sotards next time). I’ve only experienced it as good-natured and friendly. If this is a genuine post, I’m sorry this happened to you. Look me up if you’re out here again; I’m glad to help right these wrongs.
If you are meaning the Sotar boats yes those were all the people who we got that vibe from, I am guessing locals? We had a Hyside boat and DRE frame and someone said welcome to Oregon time to get a real boat and frame although they seemed very nice and were joking around. Why would this not be a genuine post? I will send you a message for sure we are wanting to come back! But truthfully a bit put off by the vibe

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Water Boat Watercraft Fluvial landforms of streams Rafting

My boat is the Hyside my friend is in, we rented the Trib and I jumped in to help row through , oops my bad ha ha. Not sure what yall are talking about with these weird comments. Did I miss an inside joke? I said we had a Hyside in out group?
But your boat is a Tributary!

·
Registered
194 Posts
No idea what you are referencing
Did you see a kid with a buzz cut and swinging a banjo up on a bridge or high rock when you shoved off? (Deliverance)

Kidding aside, I have shared river space with un-ethical and self absorbed skum - it's out there. Stealing beer is about a step below messing with a daughter!

It's only a matter of time before someone is waiting for them and I know how I would mitigate nightime BS on the Rogue if I ever floated it. Don't get mad, get even.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Exceedingly rare to be treated like this. Your post was reminiscent of a Oregonian troll, hence some of the comments. Truth is, fall permits and campsites are plenty, business is slow. Locals have no motivation to discourage you from the river. Don’t mind the gunfire :)

FWIW I’ve been stuck on that rock and was pulled off within 2 minutes and offered a beer. I do not row a Sotar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
View attachment 70371 Hey everyone, thought I would give a rundown on our most recent trip out to the Rogue. It was first time running that river with my BF and some friends. It was pretty low and the river was technical most the way. We had a few mishaps, that was me who put us on the rocks so I was trying to push off while my BF ran the boat 🤭

Question for all you experienced Rogue runners. Seemed like a weird vibe down there towards us from “locals”. They looked at our boats and gear and asked where we were from “we don’t run that stuff around here are you from Colorado?” Which we were 🙄.

One of the hangups occurred at Wildcat rapid there was a whole group of boaters with all custom boats sitting there drinking beers laughing at everyone not making it through the run. They were saying “ is that how Mountainbuzz told you to run it” why I found this group!
Just seemed kind of rude, no one offered a line or any help and they said “We like to spend part of our day watching kooks at Carnage Corner”

In the night at camps we would hear gunshots and partying. It was a full moon one night while we were camped at Tacoma and we swore we saw a small group float by in the moon light. When we woke up in the morning we had condoms over our oarlocks and our beer was all gone out of our cooler. Someone had written “Catboat Mafia” in the sand and “Stay Home”

Overall it is a beautiful place but I have never seen anything like this on any river. I may just be looking for some reassurance this is not the normal down there, we were planning to go back next summer. When we hit Foster bar the people we were loading next to us said “ Get off the ramp if you don’t have a trailer, *****ing out of staters on our river.

I was at a loss this place was like the Wild West with no rules or river etiquettes. Sorry for my first post ramble I had to get this off my chest
My wife and I have enjoyed the Rogue many times over decades of rafting. We also went down the river this summer but we will never do a summer trip again. The locals were fine. I didn’t appreciate the commercial groups sending a lone scout boat ahead of the group to secure the best campsites for them. Our first day was well over 25 miles on very low flows. All the sites were taken and often by a single boat with lots of chairs set up but no one in them yet. I want to enjoy a river and not feel like I am in competition for a site to camp And to share it with others who need a place to stay.
I would suggest a spring or fall trip. The crazies are gone by then and the river is way more chill. Because access is a little tight with lots of people looking for access, I also do my put in above the bridge so that I stay out of other folks way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks Rafter Larry, we actually put in above the bridge on a tip and it was a complete shit show, busy and people all over. That was the first place we got scolded by the locals saying “ How did you hear about this spot to put in, Fucking internet forums Fucking everything up for everyone” we were like whoa ok and brushed it off as someone having a bad morning

Early every morning near daylight we did see gear boats pushing hard and heading down river, we never had any interference with them fighting for a camp.
Multiple people told us it is now getting busy later in the season but early Spring is good

My wife and I have enjoyed the Rogue many times over decades of rafting. We also went down the river this summer but we will never do a summer trip again. The locals were fine. I didn’t appreciate the commercial groups sending a lone scout boat ahead of the group to secure the best campsites for them. Our first day was well over 25 miles on very low flows. All the sites were taken and often by a single boat with lots of chairs set up but no one in them yet. I want to enjoy a river and not feel like I am in competition for a site to camp And to share it with others who need a place to stay.
I would suggest a spring or fall trip. The crazies are gone by then and the river is way more chill. Because access is a little tight with lots of people looking for access, I also do my put in above the bridge so that I stay out of other folks way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
One other thing I totally forgot about at the take out. A small group of 6 was loading their trailer and we heard them saying “ Whole fucking parking lot is out of state plates Fuckers need to go home or start loosing tires”
The karma was the ranger was loading their boats and walked over and said “ Is everything ok guys we wanna try and make everyone feel welcome” which I thought was awesome of them.
Downside was the guy looked at him and said “They sending you kids down here with no guns now, thats not very smart”

We packed up and got the hell out of there! Thats why I posted this, we were so blown away by the hatefull attitude towards visitors and it wasn’t just an isolated incident to like one group of people. We definitely felt that we weren’t welcome in someones sand box.
On the flip side everyone who was not local to the area was very sweet and happy

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think James has transitioned.
Yeah, this 'lady' is a troll.

I literally live 5 minutes from Rand, and I worked around 20 trips down the W&S section this year. One of my coworkers had a thing with one of the BLM staff, and she spent a lot of time with us sharing all of the river gossip, not a single word was said about this at any point this summer. And believe me, if someone had actually wrote "black cat mafia, go home" in a visible place like a Tacoma, everyone at Baldini's in Merlin would've been talking about it. This is a small river, and all of us that are down here regularly know eachother.

The black cat mafia thing is 100% the musings of a Mtn Buzz troll. A close friend that I work and boat with year-round grew up in CJ, and he sure as hell has never seen or heard of anything resembling these stories (though many people hit him up and asked when these stories first started getting posted). Fun fact, someone vandalizing vehicles and gear like that would have much more to fear from the real locals out here than law enforcement...

I can offer additional commentary on some the things being said here if desired, but I don't want to feed this troll any further.

·
Registered
14 Posts
View attachment 70380
My boat is the Hyside my friend is in, we rented the Trib and I jumped in to help row through , oops my bad ha ha. Not sure what yall are talking about with these weird comments. Did I miss an inside joke? I said we had a Hyside in out group?
None of the outfitters out here that rent boats for the W&S section have Tributaries in their rental fleets.

EDIT: OTT/WW Cowboys added a few to their fleet this year, so I am 100% wrong here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
I have multiple witnesses as well as another person in this thread who saw us. Were you in the Orange boat listening to your music when you went by us pushing gear? I am certainly not a troll or lying and doubt the Forest Service law enforcement guy would lie to us ?

It was written right in the sand and our beer was gone and condoms on my oar locks! You saying I am lying. And it didn’t say “ Black Cat Mafia” so we really can’t count on your comprehension skills can we. Maybe you were one of the jerks!

None of the outfitters out here that rent boats for the W&S section have Tributaries in their rental fleets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have multiple witnesses as well as another person in this thread who saw us. Were you in the Orange boat listening to your music when you went by us pushing gear? I am certainly not a troll or lying and doubt the Forest Service law enforcement guy would lie to us ?

It was written right in the sand and our beer was gone and condoms on my oar locks! You saying I am lying
Yes I am. I find every aspect of this story ludicrous, and completely inconsistent with a river and community I am closely involved with. And while your yarn is good and juicy to read, it has just enough holes in it that someone like myself who knows the scene well can see through. Also, you don't write like a lady at all. You respond and write like a guy pretending to be one.

I often do row a large orange boat, although I personally don't listen to music when rowing. Many of my colleagues do. You clearly know this river, and you probably have seen me IRL at some point. Say howdy next time you see a big guy in a dress rowing with pink sawyer MXs James, I'm sure you and I would actually have a funny conversation face to face. Camp season is over anyways, so I am in no rush to be at my destination. Cheers 💖🦄🌈!

21 - 40 of 201 Posts