Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water Plant Water resources Plant community Fluvial landforms of streams
Hey everyone, thought I would give a rundown on our most recent trip out to the Rogue. It was first time running that river with my BF and some friends. It was pretty low and the river was technical most the way. We had a few mishaps, that was me who put us on the rocks so I was trying to push off while my BF ran the boat 🤭

Question for all you experienced Rogue runners. Seemed like a weird vibe down there towards us from “locals”. They looked at our boats and gear and asked where we were from “we don’t run that stuff around here are you from Colorado?” Which we were 🙄.

One of the hangups occurred at Wildcat rapid there was a whole group of boaters with all custom boats sitting there drinking beers laughing at everyone not making it through the run. They were saying “ is that how Mountainbuzz told you to run it” why I found this group!
Just seemed kind of rude, no one offered a line or any help and they said “We like to spend part of our day watching kooks at Carnage Corner”

In the night at camps we would hear gunshots and partying. It was a full moon one night while we were camped at Tacoma and we swore we saw a small group float by in the moon light. When we woke up in the morning we had condoms over our oarlocks and our beer was all gone out of our cooler. Someone had written “Catboat Mafia” in the sand and “Stay Home”

Overall it is a beautiful place but I have never seen anything like this on any river. I may just be looking for some reassurance this is not the normal down there, we were planning to go back next summer. When we hit Foster bar the people we were loading next to us said “ Get off the ramp if you don’t have a trailer, *****ing out of staters on our river.

I was at a loss this place was like the Wild West with no rules or river etiquettes. Sorry for my first post ramble I had to get this off my chest

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sounds like a case of one bad apple spoiling the bunch. Southern Oregon unfortunately has more than its fair share of white trash but this is by no means to be expected on that stretch of river. I have never had anything but an amazing time with great River company.

unfortunately a sign of the times and an unlucky / bad experience.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Some of the gentle ribbing might be Ok in my book, or at least it used to be. The non helping, raft/camp stealing, and ramp behavior is BS. Would only hope the gunshots were from hunters possibly? Drunk target practice at camps seems to cross a line as well…

Sorry you had a bad experience and hope it’s not a new trend for any stretch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We spoke with a very nice couple from California and they were saying they tell everyone they are from Medford because it is a yearly thing down there later in the summer. They said the locals get really protective and nasty over out of state boaters later in the season after dealing with tourists all summer.
We also talked with some very nice rangers in a small raft and they said you gotta watch out for the “Catboat Mafia” we have no idea who they are, they run without permits and no one has been able to catch them. They had them boxed in one time with radios and the 3 cat boats vanished off the river and they hate non locals. We had no idea there was stuff like this happening.
Gunshots definitely weren’t hunters, loud music then bam bam bam at 2AM from upriver.

We couldn’t believe we were robbed of our beer in the middle of the night!

Very nice weather and lots of wildlife to see it was 🥰

Sounds like a case of one bad apple spoiling the bunch. Southern Oregon unfortunately has more than its fair share of white trash but this is by no means to be expected on that stretch of river. I have never had anything but an amazing time with great River company.

unfortunately a sign of the times and an unlucky / bad experience.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I thought you were about to post about the guy who put sharp rocks in the river to purposely pop rafts. I won a permit for July 1st in the January lottery, but the rangers somehow didn't tell me until the first week of June. We tried to put a trip together but with the 44 hours driving round trip, the fires and evacuations, and some injuries in my crew we called it off about a week before.

BUT... apparently the week we were supposed to be here a local took a grinder to a triangular shaped piece of rock, and placed it in the middle of a mandatory raft channel. From what I hear at least 10 or 12 boats got ripped to shreds this way and some people ended up bailing from the trip while on-river because of it. What a stupid way for your trip to end.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh we were told about the rocks! We got the actual story from an “ official” not for public info as they are investigating it. It wasn’t natural someone purposely made them sharp. They weren’t placed but were altered and there is a hikers video recording of 3 black cat boats doing stuff to the rocks. All the boat operators had black buffs over their faces and heads, the rock had like a cave picture of a cat face on it after they left . The rock was fixed but they didn’t know who came in and fixed it, rumored to be an outfitter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like yall are more polite than I would have been...

I personally enjoy screwing with entitled local trash as a hobby if they present attitudes. Being a former TX resident you get used to being given a ration (rightfully so for the majority of my people) more so than most... The irony of Coloradans catching a hard time from being out of state is slightly amusing to me, but the beer missing would have crossed the line.

Sorry yall had a rough experience though, as I'm looking forward to getting back out that direction next season! If you ever are looking for someone to float/set shuttle with feel free to reach out! I still have the boating resume printed in my truck from when I used to travel boat to CO I can supply if requested!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Quoted from random law firm: The most dangerous models of slingshots sold in stores today require three people to launch the water balloon. Two people hold each end of the sling while one person pulls back the pouch containing the balloon and then releases it. This “toy” can hurl a balloon over 200 yards at speeds of up to 230 miles per hour.

with a couple of NRS bars / lopros mounted vertically on front of frame and some carabiners you could launch from the Captain’s Bay solo - INFLATABLE GUNSHIP

·
Registered
138 Posts
Oh we were told about the rocks! We got the actual story from an “ official” not for public info as they are investigating it. It wasn’t natural someone purposely made them sharp. They weren’t placed but were altered and there is a hikers video recording of 3 black cat boats doing stuff to the rocks. All the boat operators had black buffs over their faces and heads, the rock had like a cave picture of a cat face on it after they left . The rock was fixed but they didn’t know who came in and fixed it, rumored to be an outfitter.
Douchebags. Funny how the same people who value "freedom" over all else including safety, science, logic, and reason, tend to be the same people who don't want other people to have the same rights to freedom over the same public spaces

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry for your experiences.

My friends and I were on the river all last week (double trip!!!) and I think we passed each other along the way. The vast majority of folks we met on the river were perfectly fine. The Rogue is a beautiful river and is tricky at the low levels we had, even for experienced veterans. Lots of folks got stuck on that rock on Wildcat, as you did.

We met a group of friendly enough backpackers at the Graves launch spot. One of them had an AR15 strapped to his pack, so I suspect that's were the shots were coming from. We heard them at night too, though thankfully no one touched our boats.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I doubt they will play their games for much longer. You can only play cat and mouse for so long before the dog gets you. Law enforcement will eventually catch up with these thieves. It's one thing to heckle out of staters. It's another to steal your shit.

Just because Colorado is a blue state..........doesn't mean our outdoor citizens don't believe in guns. A lot of us have them in our first aid kits. 😉 Through experience..........when the bullets start whizzing overhead.........time to let them know where you're camping.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry for your experiences.

My friends and I were on the river all last week (double trip!!!) and I think we passed each other along the way. The vast majority of folks we met on the river were perfectly fine. The Rogue is a beautiful river and is tricky at the low levels we had, even for experienced veterans. Lots of folks got stuck on that rock on Wildcat, as you did.
We met a group of friendly enough backpackers at the Graves launch spot. One of them had an AR15 strapped to his pack, so I suspect that's were the shots were coming from. We heard them at night too, though thankfully no one touched our boats.
Good to know about the hikers I know it was loud! We were woke up and said what the hell is happening ha ha. We saw lots of bears so were wondering if a bear got in someones camp. We had 3 rafts in our group and one was fishing most the time. Glad I wasn’t the only one stuck on the rock, I felt silly with everyone sitting in the eddy drinking beer laughing. We saw lots of hikers in the dark too!

1 - 20 of 201 Posts