Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Launching a 6 day on the Rogue early Aug. Recommendations for shuttle service?
Thanks....

·
um...er...oh...uh...wa
14 Posts
Orange Torpedo Tours told us they would hold the car in their locked, secured yard until the day before our takeout.
And then they would deliver the car the night before our takeout or the morning of the takeout.

They didn't do what they said they would do.

They took the car to Foster Bar the same day that we dropped it off with them.
The car sat at Foster Bar for 3 days before it was stolen.
They were absolutely no help in dealing with the stolen car.
They even blamed the owner of the car at one point.
Messed up vacations for everyone else on the trip, can't leave a friend at the takeout without his car and trailer.
OTT never accepted any blame for the mess they created by shuttling the car early.
They denied that they did anything wrong.
They kept the shuttle fee. I would have thought that a shuttle company that screws up this bad would at least refund the fee that they charged.

We now use Morrisons.

Perfect shuttles and service every time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Orange Torpedo Tours told us they would hold the car in their locked, secured yard until the day before our takeout.
And then they would deliver the car the night before our takeout or the morning of the takeout.

They didn't do what they said they would do.

They took the car to Foster Bar the same day that we dropped it off with them.
The car sat at Foster Bar for 3 days before it was stolen.
They were absolutely no help in dealing with the stolen car.
They even blamed the owner of the car at one point.
Messed up vacations for everyone else on the trip, can't leave a friend at the takeout without his car and trailer.
OTT never accepted any blame for the mess they created by shuttling the car early.
They denied that they did anything wrong.
They kept the shuttle fee. I would have thought that a shuttle company that screws up this bad would at least refund the fee that they charged.

We now use Morrisons.

Perfect shuttles and service every time.
This is not exactly accurate.
As we always do and have discussed with you, we picked up your car the day you launched from your launch point. We stored your vehicle at our shop overnight and then delivered it to Foster Bar. We strive to deliver vehicles to Foster the day someone is coming off of the river and at that point, about 80% of the time we are able to do that. However, sometimes are are forced, due to scheduling, to deliver cars the night before the person comes off the river and in very rare occasions we have had to deliver them two night before (but this is very rare). While we strive to not drop cars early sometimes we simply don’t have a choice and prior to this event felt reasonably secure in doing so as Foster Bar has historically been a very safe location for vehicles. In 12 years, including your event, I can think of 2 vandalism incidents at Foster Bar in total (not just that happened to us) during core summer months.

Since your event we have altered a number of our practices to further increase the likelihood we deliver cars the day someone comes off the river and to my knowledge we have seen zero vandalism incidents since. As for your point about refunding your shuttle, I was under the impression we had refunded it and if we have not I will do it right now as that is absolutely the correct thing to do.

I truly hope you have had some great trips on the Rogue this summer and wish you the best.

Erik Weiseth
Managing Partner
Orange Torpedo Trips and Whitewater Cowboys.

·
um...er...oh...uh...wa
14 Posts
Eric,

Wow.
Yet again, another BRILLIANT defense.

"OTT never accepted any blame for the mess they created by shuttling the car early."
Like then, you continue today with the, "Deny, Deny, Deny" tactic.

You did not do what you said you would do.
The only discussion we had was about delivering the car the day before or day of our takeout.
Your website used to state as much. It's been changed now.
Simple enough to use the Internet Wayback Machine to see the changes.
One of the reasons we used your service was that you claimed that you would store our vehicles in your locked, secured storage yard until the day before or day of our takeout.
Again, you didn't do what you promised us.

Not once did anyone say anything about delivering the car early.
It would have been simple to make us aware, and we would have taken our business elsewhere.
But you chose to not do what you promised a customer.

You seem to not be aware that one of the vehicles you shuttled had a GPS tracking unit on board.
The tracking logs show that the vehicle was moved to Foster Bar the day we launched on the river.

You really should discuss with the sheriff how often there are problems at Foster Bar.
After a discussion and a bit of time spent with a sheriffs deputy, I'm aware of more problems at Foster Bar than you remember.
What you "feel" is secure is not accurate.
I never wanted to learn about problems at Foster Bar from the sheriffs point of view.
Shame on you for putting us in that situation.
We hire shuttle companies to make our vacation easier, not create problems as you did.

I spoke with you on the phone about a refund and you told me, "no".
After we disputed the charge with our credit card company and asked them to refund the charge, you wrote a response detailing why the charge was valid.
So, again, it's you being inaccurate when you state that you had refunded the shuttle fee.
I'll be happy to publish your response to the credit card company about the charge to remind you that you did not issue a refund.
"absolutely the correct thing to do"?
Then why did you not issue a refund when we asked?

I'm sure you're going to figure out a way to spin this so you can defend yourself and your company.
If the roles were reversed and you came to my business and ended up being unhappy with what you received.
The first thing I would do is apologize. And then refund your money. And then try to make it right. I might not succeed, it might be too late to keep you as a customer, but I would try.
You have still not apologized.
How hard is that?
With the cost of a shuttle compared to all of the other business you do in a season, I don't understand why you want to continue your defense instead of just making your customers whole again.
I don't think you really care about your customers and whether the service that they received is what they expected.
For me, I would rather have happy customers and a solid reputation that the minuscule profit from a transaction like this.
You seem to willing to spend a significant amount of time disputing, denying and pointing out how you are right.
Seems it would have taken you less time to do the right thing.
Even when given a chance to make things right you don't.
I prefer to do business with those that will take care of me as a customer, instead of with someone who makes the situation worse by doing the wrong thing.
I would think that a review that states we had a problem and the shuttle company took care of us would be far superior to a shuttle company that continues to compound the problem.

Waiting to the "spin"....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@phumpher & @eweiseth, While I appreciate the honesty I was hoping for recommendations not not a rehash of what appears to have been a shitty experience. As unresolved issues are quite clear here how about taking it to private messaging so the rest of us can do what this forum was intended for, supporting boaters pursuing their passion. Thanks for the intel, but move your beef along pleasel

·
um...er...oh...uh...wa
14 Posts
not sorry,

A rehash?
Do a search, there are no other posts on MB about this.

private messaging is not the place for my post.
I think it belongs in an open forum so others can learn from my misfortunes.
you can spend your shuttle money with anyone.
even OTT/WC.

any other rules I need to abide by?
You could always use the ignore button...
Or even the delete button...
If you don't like what I write, don't read it. You're not forced to read it.

Or you might even notice in my first post that I did give you a recommendation.
Use Morrisons

@phumpher & @eweiseth, While I appreciate the honesty I was hoping for recommendations not not a rehash of what appears to have been a shitty experience. As unresolved issues are quite clear here how about taking it to private messaging so the rest of us can do what this forum was intended for, supporting boaters pursuing their passion. Thanks for the intel, but move your beef along pleasel

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I think it is good for boaters to tell the community when they get good or bad treatment from a vendor.

It is up to each of us boaters to figure out how appropriate or in -appropriate a post or response to a post is.

I am not taking sides on this incident. Reading the original post and the shuttle company response lets me make up my own mind on what to do

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it @phumpher , and i do appreciate your story and recommendation. I'm on a number of forums and was trying to recognize that the back and forth you were getting doesn't add any productive info to my original post. Wasn't trying to minimize your experience or feelings. As an ex commercial guide I took your experience and concern very seriously. It sounded to me as if you were unresolved about it.....
But hey, who am I to say who can or cannot air their laundry on social media. Whatever floats your boat....pun intended

·
Registered
364 Posts
Getting back to the question, I've had good luck with using the Galice River Store for my shuttles. Very professional drivers many are retired firefighters and cops.

·
um...er...oh...uh...wa
14 Posts
rivermedic,

You are right, the back and forth was not productive. I could have written much less and still made my point.
Sorry, I wish I was a better writer of stories.

I never really wanted to hammer Erik about this bad shuttle experience.
I thought I had moved past it a while ago, seems I haven't and it's still a bit of a sore spot.
I think he has lost far more business and income from his treatment of us than he saved by not taking care of us after the problem.

I hate living in a world of negativity, and I ask for your forgiveness in changing your search for a shuttle company into a diatribe about a bad shuttle experience.

We (the group of boaters that my wife and I float rivers with) have had superb experiences with Morrisons.
We, like Wavester, have also had great experiences with the Galice Store. Debbie and her crew are fantastic.

Over a couple of decades and dozens and dozens and dozens of Rogue trips, we had used Sharon McCall without a single problem.
I was dismayed to read a story about how one of her drivers had wrecked a car and they left the owner of the car without a resolution.
I started looking for a new shuttle company after that.
I was sad to hear that Sharon had become ill and gave up her shuttle business.
Seems our experience was somewhat unique, seems that there were quite a few rafters who did not like Sharon.

We tried BLT.
Their service was ho-hum for us.
One of their drivers had backed one of our groups trailer into a rock and destroyed a taillight, tore off the welded taillight protector and mount.
All of the pieces and the "rock" were in the Foster Bar parking lot.
The trailers owner would weld a new mount onto the trailer and had asked BLT to pay for a new taillight. About $20.
BLT responded that it wasn't their fault and that they had a signed waiver.
I don't get it... kiss away $500-$700 worth of shuttles a couple or three times a year because you'd rather not take care of your customers over a broken piece of plastic.
Anyway, I started looking for yet another new shuttle company after that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have used BLT, Orange Torpedos and Galice. Have not had an issue with any. Have heard of many people having issues with Galice (and they cost a bit more). I follow BLT on Facebook and do get the sense that they take better security of the car while you are on the river. And, yeah, accidents can happen....with any of them. I bet you can find a similar story for each service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Launching a 6 day on the Rogue early Aug. Recommendations for shuttle service?
Thanks....
Got it @phumpher , and i do appreciate your story and recommendation. I'm on a number of forums and was trying to recognize that the back and forth you were getting doesn't add any productive info to my original post. Wasn't trying to minimize your experience or feelings. As an ex commercial guide I took your experience and concern very seriously. It sounded to me as if you were unresolved about it.....
But hey, who am I to say who can or cannot air their laundry on social media. Whatever floats your boat....pun intended
Hi there, Lots of comments popping up here. I used Debbie at Galice for years. I guided for Morrison's for 12 years. Eric at OTT (Torpedo) knows the river business well, and I am sorry to hear of a mishap. All that said, I have known Lynn at BLT for many many years and when she jumped in the shuttle bizz after Sharon (affordable) finally called it quits, I ran with her. I have been up and over Bear Camp Rd. hundreds of times and know it to be a bugger of a road...esp. when crazy tourists driving motorhomes hog the entire road coming at you on a blind curve. Yes you could do it yourself, but then your car will sit at Foster for your entire trip. Not Good. Lynn has an easy way to drop off the key, no taping to rear tire kinda stuff. She has done me well for several years.
Larry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi there, Lots of comments popping up here. I used Debbie at Galice for years. I guided for Morrison's for 12 years. Eric at OTT (Torpedo) knows the river business well, and I am sorry to hear of a mishap. All that said, I have known Lynn at BLT for many many years and when she jumped in the shuttle bizz after Sharon (affordable) finally called it quits, I ran with her. I have been up and over Bear Camp Rd. hundreds of times and know it to be a bugger of a road...esp. when crazy tourists driving motorhomes hog the entire road coming at you on a blind curve. Yes you could do it yourself, but then your car will sit at Foster for your entire trip. Not Good. Lynn has an easy way to drop off the key, no taping to rear tire kinda stuff. She has done me well for several years.
Larry

·
Registered
2 Posts
rivermedic,

You are right, the back and forth was not productive. I could have written much less and still made my point.
Sorry, I wish I was a better writer of stories.

I never really wanted to hammer Erik about this bad shuttle experience.
I thought I had moved past it a while ago, seems I haven't and it's still a bit of a sore spot.
I think he has lost far more business and income from his treatment of us than he saved by not taking care of us after the problem.

I hate living in a world of negativity, and I ask for your forgiveness in changing your search for a shuttle company into a diatribe about a bad shuttle experience.

We (the group of boaters that my wife and I float rivers with) have had superb experiences with Morrisons.
We, like Wavester, have also had great experiences with the Galice Store. Debbie and her crew are fantastic.

Over a couple of decades and dozens and dozens and dozens of Rogue trips, we had used Sharon McCall without a single problem.
I was dismayed to read a story about how one of her drivers had wrecked a car and they left the owner of the car without a resolution.
I started looking for a new shuttle company after that.
I was sad to hear that Sharon had become ill and gave up her shuttle business.
Seems our experience was somewhat unique, seems that there were quite a few rafters who did not like Sharon.

We tried BLT.
Their service was ho-hum for us.
One of their drivers had backed one of our groups trailer into a rock and destroyed a taillight, tore off the welded taillight protector and mount.
All of the pieces and the "rock" were in the Foster Bar parking lot.
The trailers owner would weld a new mount onto the trailer and had asked BLT to pay for a new taillight. About $20.
BLT responded that it wasn't their fault and that they had a signed waiver.
I don't get it... kiss away $500-$700 worth of shuttles a couple or three times a year because you'd rather not take care of your customers over a broken piece of plastic.
Anyway, I started looking for yet another new shuttle company after that.

I own BLT and never heard back from anybody about a trailer light. We Would have gladly reimbursed. I do apologize, I don't know where we would have backed into a rock! Please have your friend contact us!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts