Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. First post and in need of some advice.

Putting in at Argo and wondering if an 18 foot cat is too big for the middle chute at Rainey and then of course Blossom. Been reading some conflicting reports about such a big boat at such low flows, currently 1050 CFS. I do have a 12.5 foot sotar raft I could take instead but prefer the bigger boat for the extra space.

TIA and any all help appreciated.

cheers

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey guys. First post and in need of some advice.

Putting in at Argo and wondering if an 18 foot cat is too big for the middle chute at Rainey and then of course Blossom. Been reading some conflicting reports about such a big boat at such low flows, currently 1050 CFS. I do have a 12.5 foot sotar raft I could take instead but prefer the bigger boat for the extra space.

TIA and any all help appreciated.

cheers
Run rainee. At 1100, I ran it in a 12'6 cat along with numerous 14-18' rafts with no problem. Mule creek canyon will be tight with the 18' and you'll probally bang the canyon walls but no biggie. At blossom you'll need a solid ferry angle with stern at the vw rock and bow pointed south. Either Boat would be fine but with the 18' you'll need to be on point with the sticks. With a 12'6 it's a fun float.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yes you can run your big boat at those flows but unless you have a huge desire to struggle your way down the river why not take the sports car? I have run our 20ft Maravia at flows down to 1800 but have always run the main at rainy. It's doable but way less enjoyable than little boats at low water. The half Pounders where already heating up a couple of weeks ago so take a fishing poll and resupply ice a paradise if you need to save on weight and space. Either way you'll have fun just a lot less work with small boats.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think middle chute is an option for your big boat. Just deal with the fish ladder. Blossom will be fine, tight but forgiving/ not pushy at trickle flows. I'll be there mid oct. enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fish Ladder will not be passable in your boat. Middle will be very tight. Best will be the Main in an 18'. Easy scout.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
503 Posts
Wondering if an 18 foot cat is too big for the middle chute at Rainey and then of course Blossom.
An 18-foot boat is too big for the Rogue under almost any circumstances. Sure, you can squeeze it down the river, but it'll be like driving a bus in a skateboard park. Take the small boat and have some fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts