Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the chance to paddle with the R&D crew of RMR on the Taylor River last weekend. It was my first chance to get to see how these budget rafts are put together, and meet the people behind them.
I paddled their duckies and a 10.5 foot raft prototype. I was pretty impressed:)
The material and seams look to be bomber, and the raft seems to be of same quality of boats twice the price.
The R&D guys were fine tuning the selfbailing floors on both the raft and the duck, finding just the right spot to attach floor to tube. It's actually not as straight forward as you might think to get the floor in the sweet spot.

If your thinking about buying one of these boats, I'd say go for it. Once your paddling I bet you forget that it cost half as much as some of the boats out there. I can't wait to see the final version of the 10.5 footer, the new floor design looks like its going to be pretty fast on the water.

The guys behind this company are good dudes, It was great to paddle with Denny, Zack and their newest sales rep Bobby Bower.

·
Froggy
7 Posts
Have to admit.. they seem like a pretty good looking product. I'm in the market for a new boat and am pretty much sold on the Aire 156r, but the price of the RMR 16 footer is sure tempting!

Had the chance to meet Denny and buy some gear from him a couple of years ago.... seems like a stand up guy.

My biggest issue is simply where the boats are made. Even with the price, I'm having a hard time getting past this.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Went thru the same thought process about this time last year: RMR sure do look nice and I think they are an excellent boat especially for someone just getting into the river scene.

We were upgrading from an AIRE Trib 14' which we ran for 6 seasons: it is still going strong just with a new owner-my brother.

Went with the 156R and very happy about that decision one year later.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are they doing drop-stitch floors?
The boats they were testing on the taylor all had baffeled floors. They were working on a different floor design that had a diminishing taper at bow and stern for smoother entry.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My biggest issue is simply where the boats are made. Even with the price, I'm having a hard time getting past this.

Thoughts?
I think that all of the "budget" rafts out there are made somewhere other than the US. I know lots of my boating gear is made abroad, I don't mind as long as its well made.

Denny told me that it's a pretty small crew of guys in China that are actually welding the boats together and they are getting really good at the process.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
Tributary is likewise an imported product. Personal decision and no real criticism either way.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts

Thoughts?
Tributary is likewise an imported product. Personal decision and no real criticism either way.[/QUOTE]

NRS boats are not made in US of A but cost 2 x as much :confused:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Slowly converting from catarafting to rafting so I have kept my eye out on the various brands.

Price point and overall look appealing on these guys. But as I boat more one thing stands out to me......these are heavy beasts. We spend alot of time maneuvering empty rubber and that extra weight is just unappealing. Most of the people i know who own these rigs wouldn't do so without it trailered and inflated. A fact that doesn't work for a lot of us in the desert SW.

Always good to see more players in the field. Will keep an eye on their developments as I assume, from their popular response to their product, that RMR will be around for a while.

Phillip

·
Registered
462 Posts
But as I boat more one thing stands out to me......these are heavy beasts.

2 weeks ago a guy with a 13 foot RMR (I think 13ft, pretty sure it was smaller than my 14 footer) rolled up to the put in as we were about to push off. I asked to take a look as I've never laid hands on one yet.

I offered for us to help him get it off the trailer into the water (he had a high trailer so he couldn't back it in far enough to get it IN water). We had 4 men each grab a side handle and my first though was it must still be strapped down....NOPE. The thing was CRAZY HEAVY. Even when the bow of the boat was in the water and just two of us left on handles, the two of us could barely get the boat off without sliding along his trailer.

Granted I normally run a 14ft revo, which two of us can easily carry into the water. But I also have a 14ft 1981 hyside-which I used to think was bad, yet 2 guys and my gf can (and do) carry into the water (I do not trailer unless with others).

Otherwise, the build seems good, nothing glaringly deficient although he didn't seem to have confidence in the thing. When I asked if there was anything he didn't like or had any problems he said "WHY!?!? Have you heard bad things??" Me: "No, just wondering as they are pretty new and I have never met anyone who had one". Then he was all "do you think this thing will make it through silo (a rapid) ok?"...and "well it's all I could afford" etc...I felt like he thought I was trashing it, but I certainly wasn't, but someone has given him a complex over it.

Anyways. I had at one time considered one and the build seemed good enough to consider. BUT the weight was such a factor that my mind was made up that there was no way I would deal with that cumbersome of a boat. It seemed to draft REALLY low too>surely a function of the weight and the smaller size boat-but it definitely seemed a little extreme at first look.

I might consider one if I: Trailered, Stored inflated, was strapped on cash and well didn't already own 5 boats...

I would like to take a look at their duckies if the price is right.

·
Registered
181 Posts
cons...heavy and slow

I have taken my 16' RMR on two trips so far. The first was on Ruby HT and the boat was what I would consider lightly loaded. We floated along with a 13' boat and the 13' boat would leave me in the dust.
Then on a Main Salmon trip the boat was heavily loaded and again, I had trouble keeping up with the smaller boats (14') in our party...

I think the boat suffers from too much floor drag...from the OP, sounds like they are working on it...But for the money (Denny practically gave me the boat on a closeout special) you can't beat them. Just don't plan on winning any races

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have taken my 16' RMR on two trips so far. The first was on Ruby HT and the boat was what I would consider lightly loaded. We floated along with a 13' boat and the 13' boat would leave me in the dust.
Then on a Main Salmon trip the boat was heavily loaded and again, I had trouble keeping up with the smaller boats (14') in our party...

I think the boat suffers from too much floor drag...from the OP, sounds like they are working on it...But for the money (Denny practically gave me the boat on a closeout special) you can't beat them. Just don't plan on winning any races
Maybe they have the fast floor on the 14 footer already, I think that the all girl raft racing team from CB took first in their class at the upper gauley race paddling a RMR boat.

·
Registered
103 Posts
RMR Boats

I've boated mostly catarafts, but I bought a RMR 14' a few years ago. The first raft I've purchased. When I bought it there wasn't to much out about the brand. The few things on the buzz, but not much. I bought the boat originally because of what people mentioned on the buzz. A few good things they said about the boat was the tracking, that the seams are welded, and the price. After rafting on the boat, I have to say. It's a pretty good handling boat. Yeah, maybe a little on the heavier side, but 2 people can move it if set up for paddling. When I have the rig on it, the boat takes 4-6, depending on the load. I've had the boat down the Green and Grand so far and its made the moves down the river. Even got out to check the water line on the boat! All in all, its a good boat. I like the beefiness of the boat, yeah it could be lighter. The boat handles good as well. I'd like to ride on a new boat, to see how the new floor rides.

Personally, you can't go wrong with the price. RMR has also been upgrading their boats. So, that's a good thing. Time will tell how much the company sticks by their boat. They have a 5yr warranty on boats. So, hopefully we'll hear about how many boats go into the shop and why, on the buzz . I hope they will be around for while, because I think their making a good boat.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the 16' and I keep it trailered. It is definitely not as fast or agile as my Scout, and it does weigh more. The raft with a frame, trailer frame, 2 spare 10' Carlisle oars, and rear and captains floors takes two people to load and unload without a lot of trouble. You need 4 to carry it to water.

I would buy one again (though I would definitely advise people to wait for the end of season sales). I am pretty happy with it.

Kyle

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bought a 16' this spring and I, too, have been impressed. I used it on the Main and a low water Middle and was very happy with the performance. It did seem a tad slow, but I liked how it tracked. Dad has a Aire 156D that I was able to oar sis by side. I (and my wife) liked the RMR better. So I'm very happy. As far as weight, I didn't think that there was a whole lot of difference between mine and dads boat.

·
Registered
457 Posts
My sister bought one it seems like a great boat but when we were paddling it I was shocked on how slow it moves.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Heavy boats???

So everybody is talking about how heavy RMR boats are compared to other boats out there. I'd like to point out that RMR's website says a 16' weighs 195lbs and I believe my 16' Sotar weighs about 145 lbs (cant find the weight on their site). I just cant believe that when 2 -4 people split an extra 50 lbs it's that much harder to lift a boat. More importantly when your on the water with passengers and gear how much does your boat weigh total 1,500-/+ lbs? The extra 50lbs doesn't mean squat rowing down the river. The style of your boat - continuous curve or consistent tubes, tube diameter and DS floor or baffles has to have a much more noticeable effect on the handling vs. 50 extra lbs of rubber. Who cares how much the boat weighs, it's great that RMR is making what is seems to be a pretty good boat for a GREAT price because let's face it all of the other cheap boats out there aren't really "bomber". Certainly don't let 50 lbs keep you from buying a RMR - and that's coming from someone who just bought a Sotar.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Who cares how much the boat weighs

If many of your put ins and take outs require you and 1 other person to hold a raft with frame over your head as you try to slide down or climb up a 20 ft, 60 degree muddy bank covered in greenbrier, blackberry and rhododendron...then you would care too.

I am interested in their tubes and their duckies comin' out for sure. They do seem like a great bargain; a big, heavy, great bargain.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts