Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, anyone out there have an option on the new Rocky Mountain Rafts?
Material quality, construction..etc? Love to hear it>

·
Registered
193 Posts
My buddy just bought one. Looks like a very well made boat. Lots of d-rings, good handles, I like the valve placement. Thermo-welded seems with a 5 year warranty, and you cant beat the price!! ($2000) From what I hear one of the top guys at NRS started the company so it looks just like an expedition series boat but without the price tag. ;)

Happy floating!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I posted about this in another thread a few days ago, but I have had my 16ft Rocky Mountain Raft for a little over a month now and have done a few 5 day trips, with great results. The floor is really heavy duty which is a positive but it does make it hard to roll if you are not planning on storing it inflated. In fact next to my buddy's 16ft Avon rolled up, the rocky mountain boat in it's included cover is probably twice the size or more. We did the San Juan from Mex Hat to Clay Hills at super low water last month and it was great. It rode fairly high in the water and slid over the rocks nicely. We had it out a couple of weeks ago on a trip down the Yampa at about 20,000 cfs and it performed well there too. There are some nitpicky things I could complain about like the D-rings that I strap the 4 corners of my frame to, should really be angled in toward the frame instead of strait up and down, and my floor pressure release valve is a little low psi, which I hear they have upped on the boats in stock now, but other than that I cant think of any real negatives. You always hear that you get what you pay for, but on this one I think I got more than I paid for. A really good boat at a really great price.
Carl

·
Registered
144 Posts
I posted about this in another thread a few days ago, but I have had my 16ft Rocky Mountain Raft for a little over a month now and have done a few 5 day trips, with great results. The floor is really heavy duty which is a positive but it does make it hard to roll if you are not planning on storing it inflated. In fact next to my buddy's 16ft Avon rolled up, the rocky mountain boat in it's included cover is probably twice the size or more. We did the San Juan from Mex Hat to Clay Hills at super low water last month and it was great. It rode fairly high in the water and slid over the rocks nicely. We had it out a couple of weeks ago on a trip down the Yampa at about 20,000 cfs and it performed well there too. There are some nitpicky things I could complain about like the D-rings that I strap the 4 corners of my frame to, should really be angled in toward the frame instead of strait up and down, and my floor pressure release valve is a little low psi, which I hear they have upped on the boats in stock now, but other than that I cant think of any real negatives. You always hear that you get what you pay for, but on this one I think I got more than I paid for. A really good boat at a really great price.
Carl

Re: rolled size

You're comparing a hypalon boat to a PVC boat... Hypalon always rolls smaller than PVC due to the materials.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: rolled size

You're comparing a hypalon boat to a PVC boat... Hypalon always rolls smaller than PVC due to the materials.
Yeah, I should have used a different example. Compared to my other friend's 16 ft Vanguard it is still about 20% bigger. It seems like it is just a really heavy duty wrap on the floor, (which is not a negative mind you) that makes it tough to roll any tighter.

·
Registered
385 Posts
They are upping the psi on the floor valves on the new ones. They are also going to be overlapping the bottom wrap differently so the seams all point to the rear. Hell of a boat for the money. Definitely heavy. My buddy's 13 foot rm boat weighs about 10 pounds less than my 15' zephyr. Since the tributaries have priced themselves out of the market, they are probably the best price point boat available.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have some in my shop in Boulder, and we'll have more next week. They are a great boat for the money, and they paddle very well.

Thanks,
Nick Wigston

·
Super Moderator
3,961 Posts
Here's another thread on the boats with a review I wrote up after taking one on Westwater.

Seems like a really good deal for a well-designed and well-built boat.

-AH

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just bought a 12fter 2 weeks ago and it seemed like a great deal for a great boat. Its in Salida getting foot cups installed and I will take it out for its maiden voyage next weekend during fibark. Honestly, at this point nobody knows how they are going to hold up, but from the specs and for non-commercial use I think they will hold up great.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey I think that pic is of my raft! It was the maiden voyage down browns yesterday. I think that pic is from Zoom? We punched the middle of Seidels too right through the meat. I was really impressed by the RM raft, bails the water really fast and tracts very nicely. After trip #1, I couldn't be happier about my choice.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
1 Posts
Rocky Mountain Rafts Website

Our website is now live and were pushing off shore with the Rocky Mountain Rafts brand! Thanks for all of the support and appreciation for our rafts!

Also, we've hired a veteran of the Outdoor Industry to be our Director of Sales & Marketing and now we're hiring experienced Sales reps.

Yours in the spirit of the river,

Denny, Joe, & Jay

·
Super Moderator
2,873 Posts
Our website is now live and were pushing off shore with the Rocky Mountain Rafts brand! Thanks for all of the support and appreciation for our rafts!

Also, we've hired a veteran of the Outdoor Industry to be our Director of Sales & Marketing and now we're hiring experienced Sales reps.

Yours in the spirit of the river,

Denny, Joe, & Jay

your dropdown menu to show rafts from the home page sucks on my mac. I couldn't get it to give me a clickable link even though it would ghost show it on the rollover.

·
Shapp
1,824 Posts
I think you need to post up a bunch of high res photos on your website of all your raft models from various angles. Why not show off the product? 2 fairly distant pictures don't show much. I would like to see one in person. Any out in washington or oregon yet?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree you need more pics on that sight!!!!!!
Not the easiest of options, but I emailed them and they sent me a couple of pics of there cat tubes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I inflated a 14' raft last week at a shop here in Montana. Pretty heavy at 155lbs, but seems bomber. I haven't been able to find anyone who's rowed one, but am really curious. We're in a quandary; we have a beloved 13' Maravia, but our tubes are 18'' and we've got a slew of multi days coming up- we need a larger boat, but really can't afford a reputable U.S. constructed boat, but can we afford not to stick with what we know? Is our river karma at stake by buying a boat made in a potentially toxic chinese pvc/glue factory? Do the owners down in Colorado have any input/disclosure on the factory and working conditions in China? If so, would love to hear it, maybe have some fears put to rest.

kasper

·
Registered
332 Posts
I inflated a 14' raft last week at a shop here in Montana. Pretty heavy at 155lbs, but seems bomber. I haven't been able to find anyone who's rowed one, but am really curious. We're in a quandary; we have a beloved 13' Maravia, but our tubes are 18'' and we've got a slew of multi days coming up- we need a larger boat, but really can't afford a reputable U.S. constructed boat, but can we afford not to stick with what we know? Is our river karma at stake by buying a boat made in a potentially toxic chinese pvc/glue factory? Do the owners down in Colorado have any input/disclosure on the factory and working conditions in China? If so, would love to hear it, maybe have some fears put to rest.

kasper
RMR is using a welding process ("Welded I-beams, Baffles, Seams - with a welded seam tape inside and out"), which simply indicates they’re using a quality PVC material. The reason AIRE, Trib, Jack’s, RMR, Maravia (PVC encapsulated in PU) weld their rafts vs. the cheaper PVC rafts fully glue their rafts, is because the cheap PVC rafts use a poor quality Asian PVC that can’t be welded, so they have to be glued. Obviously, RMR is sourcing quality PVC if they’re welding it! Welding also resolves your concern regarding bad glue on the critical I-beams, Baffles & Seams, because there is no glue.

Regarding the weight, when other quality companies were still producing fully wrapped floors this was a fairly common weight. Achilles is the only other quality manufacture still fully wrapping its floors and their 14’ weighs 150+ lbs. Also, you’ll notice on RMRs website they’re using 66oz material on its floor and bottom tubes and Trib is using 31oz, and that alone will make it heavier. But that also indicates that RMR should withstand double the wear on the floor in theory. 66oz is really thick!

The downside is that RMR will rollup bulky, especially with a 66oz floor, but having been a Maravia owner you’re accustomed to a bulky rolled up raft like it and a PVC.

I’ve only had about 15 minutes to jump in and row a 13’ last month while on a recent trip.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts