Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, you all know the rules already.

I just had a conversation with a Sheriff at Rockwood becuase there are some people not respecting the rules and this should serve as a reminder. It seems the engineers are calling EVERY time they see trespassers and have called at least 3 times in the past week.

Just so you know it is ILLEGAL to hike the tracks into Rockwood. The charge for recreational trespassing comes with a fine and a court appearance! DSNGR will not accept the liability of allowing us to use the tracks.

CRS 18-4-504 relates to "Third Degree Trespass", which constitutes either a petty offense, misdemeanor, or felony depending upon the classification of the property involved, and the circumstances of the trespass. This statute requires a Court Appearance. Upon conviction, fines can range from $50 to $750 and can include a sentence in county jail. (private property also does not necessarily have to be posted in order for trespass laws to be enforced)

It seems we have not had a problem for years out of respect but there is one developing. If I were you I would not walk the tracks before 11:30AM or after 2:30PM till 6:30PM especially during the summer and super fuckin especially within the next few weeks. Understand that they are pissed and the cops are now also there on patrol.

Please do not ruin our "access" by disrespecting protocol, the DSNGR, and the boating community to which you belong.

DO NOT walk on the tracks before 11:30am
DO NOT walk on the tracks from 2:30PM to 6:30PM

c-u-in the box and be safe

admin it would be nice to see this as a sticky for a week or two b/c it is especially important right now

·
Registered
211 Posts
Why not pay the $100 for the season pass. That way you don't have to walk the tracks, trespass, dodge the trains or end up with a ticket. And your'e fresh at the top. If you paddle the Box 20 times that's $5 a pop. I think it's a nice offer from the train do something like this considering they didn't have to. I think they were trying to come up with a reasonable option for dealing with these conflicts. I think this is a better protocol than saying F---- the train, I'll take my chances.

·
Registered
580 Posts
So does this mean it is generally okay to hike the tracks between 11:30 and 2:30, and after 6:30pm? Or just that your chances of getting caught are less because the trains won't be around at those times? What is the Sheriff's opinion on how to access Rockwood? Will they not charge you in those "safe" times? Please clarify, thanks.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't see how the train pass will help you get out of rockwood. You still have to cross a small section of tracks. Maybe for the put-in, but that is a lot for a short run.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
It doesn't cost much to put your boat on the train. They will drop it off at Cascade- you get to hike in and extend the run to include Lunch and Dinner box. Hang out at the takeout until after the last train.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ryan,
It is never generally okay to trespass. That being said I can say the trians into and out of rockwood depot are "almost always" through at those times. Last train to Silverton Departs Rockwood before 11:30am and the last train back from Silverton departs rockwood before 6:30. This is summer schedule and the winter trains are much less frequent. The sherriff in the past has said such things as you suggested but after last nights conversation they are agreably sick of it and he was not nice at all. Two boaters hiked against the trains earlier and were called on, had we been in the tan truck I am pretty sure we'd have gotten a ticket. Since we were not the ones called on he did not have much choice but to scald us and let us go.

DE you bring up a good point. Perhaps that is why they did the $100 pass. However I am to understand that they sold out within a few hours and also someone mensioned they may not do it again. I can add that you would then have to be at rockwood before 11:30 to catch the last train up. What about after work box sessions?

·
Registered
820 Posts
The season pass is useless for afterwork runs, which is whole point of doing Rockwood by itself.

Someone should at least let the train's customers know that those cute kayakers that they all waive to are being prosecuted by the Train.

The point is, don't hike until after 6:30, and no, its still not legal.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The exposure being brought upon by folks hiking the train tracks in and out will ruin ALL runs accessed from this parking lot. There's a trail out of Rockwood that has two options: the first one is to stay in the draw which will lead you to the parking lot (original trail), the second one forks off to the right and takes you up a scree slope to the tracks where you end up hiking out several hundred yards of railroad property (newer version). Opt out for option one. Stay in the woods, use the older trail, be smart, stay in stealth mode, and please keep in mind how much the local paddling community hits these runs. If you're from out of town and don't have a clue, call someone for the beta.
Cops at the parking lot...WTF!!!!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I was just wondering if you did hike after 6:30 if the Sheriff would be there waiting for people to bust, or if everyone has gone home by that time and everything is cool. I know Sheriffs who would enjoy that sort of thing.

·
no tengo
1,873 Posts
There's a trail out of Rockwood that has two options: the first one is to stay in the draw which will lead you to the parking lot (original trail), the second one forks off to the right and takes you up a scree slope to the tracks where you end up hiking out several hundred yards of railroad property (newer version). Opt out for option one.
He is not talking about the hike out but the hike in. One legal hike in is from Haviland Lake on the worlds hardest trail to find - or one could hike in to Cascade. When running rockwood we usually load gear on the train to Cascade and then hike or train people to this point as well.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've only been out at Rockwood once, but it seemed like you had to cross the tracks at an unmarked crossing somewhere which I believe would be trespassing.

The only options were about how long you were going to be walking beside the tracks. I can understand how less time along the tracks would be better.

Was there an access that didn't involve walking across the train tracks?

The exposure being brought upon by folks hiking the train tracks in and out will ruin ALL runs accessed from this parking lot. There's a trail out of Rockwood that has two options: the first one is to stay in the draw which will lead you to the parking lot (original trail), the second one forks off to the right and takes you up a scree slope to the tracks where you end up hiking out several hundred yards of railroad property (newer version). Opt out for option one. Stay in the woods, use the older trail, be smart, stay in stealth mode, and please keep in mind how much the local paddling community hits these runs. If you're from out of town and don't have a clue, call someone for the beta.
Cops at the parking lot...WTF!!!!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
People,
It is a necessary evil to hike in along the tracks to do Rockwood after work. The alternatives are either too long or too dangerous. What I want to make clear is there is a respectful way to trespass that limits exposure.

That is to follow the not before 11:30am and not between 2:30 to 6:30pm rule.

And yes, on the take out stay low in the valley (sort of staying left) and this limits the amount of time you spend on the tracks on the way out. Typically it is the way IN that is the issue, just respect the time slots and we can continue to boat rockwood after work.

-rg

·
Registered
44 Posts
let me get this straight

"It is never generally okay to trespass." The sherriff in the past has said such things as you suggested but after last nights conversation they are agreably sick of it and he was not nice at all. Two boaters hiked against the trains earlier and were called on, had we been in the tan truck I am pretty sure we'd have gotten a ticket. Since we were not the ones called on he did not have much choice but to scald us and let us go."
Not quite sure I'm getting it here - so you got caught red handed by the 'sherriff' hiking out of the box? But, how the hell would the train engineer know what color vehicle is matched to color of boat? And, how the hell would the sherriff not presume that you were the two boaters called on? Are there some survailence cameras I'm unaware of?? Plus, the sherriff 'scalding' you, instead of just writing a ticket for trespassing does'nt match up well with "they are agreably sick of it and he was not nice at all."

So did he 'say' that he could not or would not write a ticket if the engineer did not call - be clear please this time with the answer. No disrespect intended, just trying to figure out what the real deal is in there. . .

Dodging the train is NOT fun -Rockwood Box is

...and yes, I think the train operation should note that we kayakers make an exciting, intriguing, part of the trip for those thousands of tourists who have half of the Rockwood paddling community in a photo album at home. . .

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fischer, you are not getting it at all.

Stay the fuck off the tracks before 1130 am
stay the fuck off the tracks between 2:30 and 6:30

hope that helps

·
Registered
44 Posts
gee thanks, think i'm getting it now. . .

fischer, you are not getting it at all.

Stay the fuck off the tracks before 1130 am
stay the fuck off the tracks between 2:30 and 6:30

hope that helps
ok chief, thats pretty clear huh? However, when your ready to jump off that high Rockwood horse your ridin you can answer a question asked by a Rockwood indian, Which you still did not- . IT IS STILL trespassing between "the ok times" so what makes it ok in your book there buddy? Obviously some words that passed between you and the old marshal????

p.s. no need for the harsh language, some of us have virgin reading eyes. k .

·
Registered
808 Posts
it is still trespassing dude, but during those times it pisses them off much less. not too complicated. simple actually.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Rockwood

Hey Fischer,

My virgin eyes caught the "H" word in your first post...Ha..just teasing..give me a call Fisch.

Oh rg5hole...Would you answer the ? please

MtnGuyXC/Steve H.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess I didn't get the question coach?
I am not very bright, so what I write must be pretty simple, and if you don't understand it, well?

The title of this thread is TRESPASSING PROTOCAL, figure it out.

On the other hand, if you want to get some dirt on the old 5hole and see how the echo of the boof I stomped off of Red Wall scared off the sherriff you will have to buy my book: The Chronicles of Boof subtitle; Get Your Camera and Watch This Shit!

"Rockwood indian" rolf!!! there is simply no better way to pass the time at work...thanks buzzards!

rg

·
Registered
44 Posts
yeah, I'm the slow one -

I guess I didn't get the question coach?
I am not very bright, so what I write must be pretty simple, and if you don't understand it, well?

The title of this thread is TRESPASSING PROTOCAL, figure it out.

rg
geee yeah huh guess i'm just still not getting it, .........doh. . . .

Well first of all big guy we can all go back and read the questions. . .You know the ones phrased in an inquisitive fashion, oh and that end with the tell tale '?' symbol we all know and love. . . . yeah those ones, there were about four you could choose from. . . SO-

2nd off, Since you're so darn good with the Trespassing protocal why dont you be so kind as to also fill us all in on the FIRE protocal, I hear your well versed in that subject also.-

1 - 20 of 35 Posts