Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking in to see if anyone has some wisdom or opinions to share regarding the Jackson small vs medium.

I'm new to playboating, am loving it, and want to find a Rockstar. While I fit the size recommendations of the small (I weigh 135 pounds), I am wondering if the medium might be a bit more stable as I learn to surf and spend more time in the park practicing the basics.

Thank you for any advice!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Couple different schools of thought usually on this question. First, demo if you can or at least sit in both. Smaller boats are usually easier to throw around and engage the ends. Larger boats will float a little higher and makes the edges not as easy to engage which kinda equals more stable. More volume equals more pop for aerial moves as well.

I would say if it is a full time playboat go for the small, if its your only boat and also want to run a couple rivers the medium maybe an advantage.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm going with Med. I feel the looser hull will be way better for flat spins. Which is something you want to learn first and do without thinking... Also, the med will be a easier boat to loan out at the wave giving you the opportunity to try other peoples boats on the water. Once you got spins dialed... The med will be easier to sell and get what you really want. Which will most likely be anther new jk....... JMHO.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Rockstar is a speciality boat designed for playboating so I'd optimize for playboating. Looks like you're on the upper end of small and lower end of medium. You don't say whether you're getting new (4.0) or older model. 4.0's are sized larger so would let itself more to a small. I'd opt for the small personally if comfort isn't an issue as it will be (mostly) better for playboating.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have 50lbs on you and paddle a medium 4.0. I'm definitely on the bigger end of it but I love it. At 135, I think the small will be perfect, especially as a newer playboater. It will be a lot easier to engage the bow and stern for loops, cartwheels, etc. If you are looking at older models though, I would go with the medium.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your opinions everyone, I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts