Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
doesn't need a fake name
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know that a rafting forum is probably the last place that I should be checking, but I heard a rumor that there was a rockslide in the crux section of the homathko, changing the rapids into weak sauce. Does anyone have any information about that?

·
Registered
53 Posts
apparently a group of 3 people went in there this spring. 1 had been in there before and 2 first timers. the pilot who flew them out told me last week that there had been a rock slide in one of the better rapids (he wasn't sure which one) and completely changed it/washed it out. the person who had done it before was disappointed - the two first timers didn't know any better and said the trip was still worth doing.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I talked with a those guys up in BC, they said the acts of tragedy gorge (200 ft deep or so) was completely filled (I think the bet is gone as well) in with rock and the gorge was now 10 ft deep, and a few miles of continuous class 4. They did a ski trip combined with the kayaking, and were in there for a while. They said it was worth it if your into the scenery, but not purely for the whitewater.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Based on this new info, what size cooler do you think I should go with? Should I shorten my oars? How does this compare to Browns?

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
I wouldn't take a raft in there if I were you. Too dangerous. There's bears, mosquitos, bad weather and shit.

True story, I know a guy who knows these guys that went in there and said rocks slid and moved around and stuff. Maybe call the government and see if they plan on doing anything about that. I'll bet those rocks are sharp and could puncture a raft. Use caution. Let us know which cooler worked for you and what the best campsites are.

Multi-Shredding the B.C. Coast Range « Outdoor Research Verticulture

·
Registered
142 Posts
A little bit of a side note, but how hard is the Homathko? Compared to something like the SFS is there anything significantly harder that you must run?

·
Registered
986 Posts
A little bit of a side note, but how hard is the Homathko? Compared to something like the SFS is there anything significantly harder that you must run?
What is SFS? South fork salmon? There are huge differences in difficulty with water levels, the south fork is class 4 at 2.5 feet but class 5 at 7 feet.

As with most things once you are playing ball in the class 5 arena, if you have to ask how hard it is you're probably not ready.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yea, the South Fork of the Salmon at 5' and some.

And about the class V thing. There is CLASS V and there is baby V.

And, some places are worth going to even if one has to portage a bit. I have spent 5 days hiking into a river just to boat in a cool place.

I am trying to judge if the Homathko might be something to look into. Even if it might mean some portaging.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
I wouldn't take a raft in there if I were you. Too dangerous. There's bears, mosquitos, bad weather and shit.

True story, I know a guy who knows these guys that went in there and said rocks slid and moved around and stuff. Maybe call the government and see if they plan on doing anything about that. I'll bet those rocks are sharp and could puncture a raft. Use caution. Let us know which cooler worked for you and what the best campsites are.

Multi-Shredding the B.C. Coast Range « Outdoor Research Verticulture
i dont know, i cant find a mile by mile guide with pictures and descriptions of the numbered campsites. i dont have a rapid by rapid photo guide with routes to go during all water levels. i keep looking through my guidebook for it but this run must be too easy for the authors to have included it

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yea, the South Fork of the Salmon at 5' and some.

And about the class V thing. There is CLASS V and there is baby V.

And, some places are worth going to even if one has to portage a bit. I have spent 5 days hiking into a river just to boat in a cool place.

I am trying to judge if the Homathko might be something to look into. Even if it might mean some portaging.

Agreed think the homathko falls into the not baby (unless that baby is maybe chuck norris)
Did a trip a small bit north of the homathko a few weeks ago called the dean, and that sure was purty country

·
doesn't need a fake name
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would be nice to have some information one step closer to the source. Do these mysterious "three dudes" have a blog or anything?

And how did this thread turn to raft talk so quickly? I was sort of joking when I mentioned that at the beginning. I guess I should have taken it more seriously. Rafting? Seriously? Just stop. Look at the river: 2011 Homathko River Kayak Expedition - YouTube

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Yeah, very much aware of the Homathko and its locked in gorges. And the Dean and its massive waterfalls and remote exit to the sea.

I hate rafting. I hate SUP. And just like you I hate where the buzz has gone lately. When you were a smartass about the rafting in your first post you should have realized someone was going to be a smartass in return. Sorry you didn't catch the sarcasm because it definitely at like a factor of 8. My bad!

·
Registered
393 Posts
It would be nice to have some information one step closer to the source. Do these mysterious "three dudes" have a blog or anything?

And how did this thread turn to raft talk so quickly? I was sort of joking when I mentioned that at the beginning. I guess I should have taken it more seriously. Rafting? Seriously? Just stop. Look at the river: 2011 Homathko River Kayak Expedition - YouTube
Check this link for more beta from the team that saw the landslide:

Kokatat | Expeditions

Let's mark this is as a historic moment in recent mountainbuzz history. Somebody posted a thread about a legit class V run and at some point during pages of drivel, there is actual beta offered.

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Check this link for more beta from the team that saw the landslide:

Kokatat | Expeditions

Let's mark this is as a historic moment in recent mountainbuzz history. Somebody posted a thread about a legit class V run and at some point during pages of drivel, there is actual beta offered.
My link had more words than your link so please direct all thanks and praise to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts