Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm guessing months...holes thru the bridge deck...straight thru (one hole 6'x6'...other lane 10'x20') I design and build roads with CDOT...thats gonna take awhile.

I would say thru the summer for both lanes to open..

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm guessing months...holes thru the bridge deck...straight thru (one hole 6'x6'...other lane 10'x20') I design and build roads with CDOT...thats gonna take awhile.

I would say thru the summer for both lanes to open..
I agree it is going to be a long time before both directions are open. A 10' x 20' hole through that pecast structure did some serious damage to the structure. Remember all the sensitivity they have to exercise when working in the canyon when it comes to plant life and damage. I imagine they will have to replace the worst section of the bridge and that will not be an easy task at all. The 6' x 6' in the lower might be fixable. CDOT's site has 4 good pics.

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
this is not good, what do they think this will do for traffic both ways? closed permanently? i hope not. what about detours? anything reasonable? i'm nervous... was looking forward to sho-sho and glenwood wave early season. fuck...

·
Registered
517 Posts
One thing is lucky...it occured coming right out of the Hanging Lake Tunnel, where all the lanes are on one platform.
Maybe they have one lane of traffic with a flagger and delays using the paved shoulder. The next step would be to fix the that 6'x6' hole first (few months?) this would then divert two lanes of traffic to one side of the road. Lastly they would have to fix the massive hole for 4 lanes of traffic to open (half a year ??)

i would say some serious delay thru the summer. They do plan on allowing traffic during the repairs. HWY 50 over Monarch is now jacked and closed due to gaper traffic...only wyas around are Hwy50-Monarch and thru the Riflle-meeker detourium

There is more info and additional pictures on Glenwood Post website

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm thinking some west sloper set off a charge up in them thar hills ...just to keep the front rangers off the rivers out west now that runoff season is just around the corner! Let's see if the CDOT boys get that hiway fixed before the flows drop to tubing level

Be careful what you ask for...

·
Registered
834 Posts
I hate getting delayed with stop and go traffic in that canyon. That place is a game of Russian Roulette.

When I am parked in there for the latest overturned semi from Arkansas people are getting out, stretching, walking their dogs down the road, smoking cigs, peeing off the side, and all I can do is look up and watch for the avalanche of rocks coming to kill us all.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Cottonwood Pass isn't maintained in the winter, and won't open until April.

·
Registered
418 Posts
bummer.

Earlier, someone asked if they just dumped the rocks over the side. Simply, the answer is no. Army Corp of Engineers would be less than pleased if you tried that one.

·
Registered
457 Posts
They're going to have to drill holes in the rocks stick some dynamite in and blow it up, then they can load it in trucks and haul away. How do you get that job? Sign me up!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bummer.

Earlier, someone asked if they just dumped the rocks over the side. Simply, the answer is no. Army Corp of Engineers would be less than pleased if you tried that one.
Yeah, I emailed the guy in charge of the canyon and suggested that they just make another class V below Life After Death. He didn't seem to think that would happen.

Bummer. I'm sure there are all sorts of flood issues and fish issues, but that stretch would make a great first man made class V playpark.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just went from being an hour and a half away from aspen to being five and a half hours and I still have two days left on my classic pass. SHITTY. Cottonwood pass is a good road when it is dry but goes to total shit when its wet. I bet its a month before they get it open at all. They are also talkn about some serious hang fire. Maybe the bike path is alright? We can just bike our boats down.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Large rockfalls into rivers seem like a natural cycle to me... along the lines of forest fires, beetle infestations, volcanoes, etc. They are disruptive to whatever life and cycles were depending on the status quo but provide opportunity to other life and cycles that are just as natural as whatever was there before.

I say push it all over the edge into the river. I like it when rapids change overnight. I'm waiting for something huge to fall into my local run that has had the same lines forever.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts