Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I am planing my first camping/kayaking trip to the roaring fork and area rivers next week. There is a campground at Carbondale called "gateway RV park". It si now owned by the town apparently. A few years ago it was called Mount Sopris RV Park.

It looks conveniently located right on the river and walking distance to Carbondale.

But it also next to 2 major highways and the only review I could find was a little negative. Has anyone stayed there in recent years? If so, how was it and how bad is the traffic noise?

I am looking for a campground to take the family to that has a fair bit for them to do nearby while I kayak. we camp in a small popup camper.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
313 Posts
we camped there over memorial weekend and found the highway extremely annoying. I would highly recommend KOA campground or Redstone campground both just outside Redstone on 133. Plus you'll be right next to the crystal river , which is great run to carbondale.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Why not go up towards aspen, camp at difficult or lost man, also there's better camping on the crystal downstream of redstone. those all have river access. I wouldn't want to camp where you are talking about.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Gunnerman and onefatdog:

Thanks for your opinions - yea I think I'll pass on the gateway RV park. Now I'm thinking more on the BRB crystal river resort which I think you are referring to.

Do you know what the run from BRB campground down to Carbondale is like? I'm looking mostly for class II class III runs since I will most likely be solo.

Thanks again

·
Registered
185 Posts
Farther up from brb is a nicer campground, downstream from redstone, i can't remember the name. brb is mostly winnebego camping. read up on the runs around there. avalance to brb is a crankin 3 now. go do cemetary on the lower fork or lower down on the crystal

·
Registered
313 Posts
the run from avalanche creek put-in to the BRB campground is a solid class III with one class III+ almost IV rapid in the run. The class IV is right along side of 133 by a pull-off. From BRB to carbondale is mostly upper II. Flows are crashing quickly and you want at least 700-800 in that stretch. have fun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Locals take

Okay man here is my suggestion, and I live in Basalt.

You can get a super awesome free national forest campsite up avalanche creek rode about 5 miles it deadends in a beautiful valley. The campsite is free because some sites were destroyed in 2011 flood. There are 5 nice shaded campsites right on the creek. It is right at the bottom of the narrows run plus hotsprings nearby.

Up Prince creek road just out of carbondale is free camping in the national forest. Not as nice as avalanche creek but 10 minutes from town. Tons of mountain biking trails plus nice creek for kids to play in.

Difficult campground right at the base of independence pass is another good option and cell service is 5 minutes away as well as downtown aspen 10 minutes away.

·
Registered
52 Posts
With regards to family safety and fun.....I would recommend either avalanche creek or the brb areas. Prince creek can get a little sketchy....if they are full
there is another forest service camp area upriver near red stone. Which has fun stuff for kids to do as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts