Mountain Buzz banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
My frame has morphed a bit since this pic last year (raised the seat to better handle 9' oars) but this is it. I also have a hoop that I've decked. I did row on the So. Fork Boise once with front cooler and it was great until the cooler got emptied and then it was all over the place. I'm sure others have more Phatcat rowing experience but weight sensitivity (floor drag, unbalanced loads) with an oar frame seems like an issue.

Will post again when I actually have a chance to run it with gear - seems I am always being asked to run larger gear boats or I'm R2ing.

View attachment 80549
9’ oars seems really long for a Phatcat. I run 8.5s and could even go to 8’. You’re spot on about weight sensitivity though; my biggest issue is that I can’t move the seat forward enough until my legs run out of room when doing day runs.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My frame has morphed a bit since this pic last year (raised the seat to better handle 9' oars) but this is it. I also have a hoop that I've decked. I did row on the So. Fork Boise once with front cooler and it was great until the cooler got emptied and then it was all over the place. I'm sure others have more Phatcat rowing experience but weight sensitivity (floor drag, unbalanced loads) with an oar frame seems like an issue.

Will post again when I actually have a chance to run it with gear - seems I am always being asked to run larger gear boats or I'm R2ing.

View attachment 80549
I use the cooler up front to keep things balanced, I agree that the trim is sensitive.
Drink a beer, add a rock. Repeat as ness.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I pulled the trigger on a RMR PhatCat frame with two trailer pieces for overnight trips. I am so stoked to get "The Mothership" back on the water! I used the splash guard that came with the boat (and bought an extra) as make-shift drop bags for a cooler and dry box. This rig will make backpacking-style river trips (previously done on my NRS Outlaw IK) a lot more comfy!

Flooring Floor Leisure Grass Swimming pool

Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant Hood Grass

Grass Motor vehicle Net Electric blue Personal protective equipment

Green Grass Flooring Recreation Gas

Vehicle Tire Green Motor vehicle Automotive design

Grass Gas Motor vehicle Recreation Net

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I pulled the trigger on a RMR PhatCat frame with two trailer pieces for overnight trips. I am so stoked to get "The Mothership" back on the water! I used the splash guard that came with the boat (and bought an extra) as make-shift drop bags for a cooler and dry box. This rig will make backpacking-style river trips (previously done on my NRS Outlaw IK) a lot more comfy!

View attachment 81660
View attachment 81661
View attachment 81664

View attachment 81657
View attachment 81663

View attachment 81656
I like the double trailer frame setup. Easy to do a day float, but still quick to rig up an overnight. Nice work

·
Registered
14 Posts
Best looking Phat Cat rig so far, nice work!
Drop in a polymax floor, it's a huge improvement.
Thanks! The floor is definitely on my radar! I'm eyeing some marine plywood as well to strap to the outsides of the trailers for four small flat rigging surfaces. Still in the discovery phase of that project! Stoked to get this bad boi on the water!

·
Registered
65 Posts

View attachment 81660
View attachment 81661
View attachment 81664

View attachment 81657
View attachment 81663

View attachment 81656
What dry box is that? Looks like a nrs canyon but according to their website specs that shouldn't fit in my Phatcat.

Also curious what qt size that yeti is. I use Bison coolers and their 50 won't fit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What dry box is that? Looks like a nrs canyon but according to their website specs that shouldn't fit in my Phatcat.

Also curious what qt size that yeti is. I use Bison coolers and their 50 won't fit.
Hey! It's the NRS Boulder dry box and the yeti 45 liter. The dry box fits an efficient kitchen and some food and i strap a two burner Coleman stove to the top. The cooler is almost too big but with the drop hammock to hold it a little above the frame it works out pretty good.

I have fed 4 people for two nights with the 45 but I think the yeti 35 would be more size-ideal if you can pack it efficiently... Can still fit plenty of frosty beverages and a frozen meal or two in that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey! It's the NRS Boulder dry box and the yeti 45 liter. The dry box fits an efficient kitchen and some food and i strap a two burner Coleman stove to the top. The cooler is almost too big but with the drop hammock to hold it a little above the frame it works out pretty good.

I have fed 4 people for two nights with the 45 but I think the yeti 35 would be more size-ideal if you can pack it efficiently... Can still fit plenty of frosty beverages and a frozen meal or two in that.
Thanks! Nice to know the Boulder fits. When I measured the space in my phatcat, it is smaller than the Boulder spec on the nrs website.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts