Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts

Sorry about the sideways picture.

8.5 foot oars for sure. 48" frame sits it on the top of the tubes. I've had no issues with that set-up. Ran 8 foots at first but scratched the water way to much. Had my set-up built by Riverboat Works, they had some great ideas. In the picture you can see that the front bay holding the cooler is a trailer frame, so not connected to the main frame. Love this idea so when doing quick high water day trip, I don't have to carry the cooler or that part of frame. But, cool thing is when I'm paddling it on a mellow low water Browns Canyon run I can throw the cooler in the back for a snack and drink. They also built me a larger hanging platform in the back to haul more gear, you can just barely see it in the picture. Super cool boat! Makes a great kid boat for multi days.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Phatcat with frame

Ive been following this thread for a bit: A lot of interesting interesting rigging ideas shown off here. Figured I'd show off my setup here. I love this boat for the daily r2 or solo row and it turns out the little boat can haul way more gear than I ever expected. I've done a Cat and Gates of Lodore hauling a pretty good load. Can't wait for it to be safe enough for them to lift the stay at home order the COVID to get back out.
cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Ive been following this thread for a bit: A lot of interesting interesting rigging ideas shown off here. Figured I'd show off my setup here. I love this boat for the daily r2 or solo row and it turns out the little boat can haul way more gear than I ever expected. I've done a Cat and Gates of Lodore hauling a pretty good load. Can't wait for it to be safe enough for them to lift the stay at home order the COVID to get back out.
cheers!
How long is and wide is your frame? Does Gary have your frame specs or could you e-mail me them? Are those the 8 x 8 oar towers? What length oars? Lots of ? because I like the frame design

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey Bighorn,
My rowframe is 82"x50". I got 8"x8" towers that I then cut down about 1.5".
Oars were 8' to start. Went to 8.5' this year and I'm much happier.
If I had the 8.5' oars at the start, I might have not had to cut the towers.
I'm pretty happy where I'm at but, if I started out with the 8.5' oars and kept the 8"x8" towers, I think I'd be closer to the 1/3-2/3 rule on the oars giving me better counterbalance (squaretops) and more leverage.
Hope this makes sense.

On a side note, I recently added a hanging floor. HUGE improvement!

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
I WANT that floor!! what did you use as the metal reinforcement? Is the plastic mesh something similar to this? https://www.qcsupply.com/93334-dura...1iB6WmjCjkekPzOTodnbUnYOscjJVBjcaAkaBEALw_wcB
Hey Joe, sorry I missed your post.
Yes, the black plastic is kennel flooring. The aluminum is a backpack frame that I picked up at our thrift store for $3. It was contoured to fit the shape of your back so I had to pound it flat with a mallet. Zip tied it to the kennel flooring and hung it from the frame with loop straps.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Building up a frame for our PhatCat and digging all the ideas here! For those of you running Carlisle bladed: what width for this boat? 6.5" or 8"? I'm worried that the 8" blades might be a bit tough to push through the water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here .... Got some great ideas on this forum ... Thanks to all for the good advice... I can’t wait to finish mine up... Stoked to get this thing out. I built my frame using FrontierPlay’s fittings. I also used the dura flooring to keep my feet out of the swamp. Party table for the kiddos on the front. Nothing fancy but I thing it will suit my overnight trips just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
View attachment 59065 My boy on the Smith in Montana. I went with the Riverboat works set up. It worked out great.
It may not matter with a frame as the tubes appear asymmetrical, but is this rigged up backwards? I thought the logo patch sits at the rear of the boat. Maybe its only important for R2 setups.

Edit - Oh sheesh I'm an idiot. PhatCat logo on one side on back tube and one side on front tube.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just read on the RMR FB site that they have finalized a design for a phatcat frame and it will be available online shortly for purchase. I guess this thread had an impact.

I am in the process of painting my frame and will post what I built when it's complete. Thanks to all those who have offered ideas - great guidance. We just took it R2 down the MF
@ >2.5 feet and I have to say, super capable boat and made for drama free paddling for newbies running lowish water. My son and his buddy found themselves in the meat of the hole in Tappan Falls and the boat saved their asses bigtime. Can't wait to row it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
New here .... Got some great ideas on this forum ... Thanks to all for the good advice... I can’t wait to finish mine up... Stoked to get this thing out. I built my frame using FrontierPlay’s fittings. I also used the dura flooring to keep my feet out of the swamp. Party table for the kiddos on the front. Nothing fancy but I thing it will suit my overnight trips just fine.
I love the little viewing area complete with some cold bevvys to watch the progress! How are things going with that build?

·
Registered
42 Posts
My frame has morphed a bit since this pic last year (raised the seat to better handle 9' oars) but this is it. I also have a hoop that I've decked. I did row on the So. Fork Boise once with front cooler and it was great until the cooler got emptied and then it was all over the place. I'm sure others have more Phatcat rowing experience but weight sensitivity (floor drag, unbalanced loads) with an oar frame seems like an issue.

Will post again when I actually have a chance to run it with gear - seems I am always being asked to run larger gear boats or I'm R2ing.

Hood Tire Automotive tire Watercraft Plant

21 - 40 of 53 Posts