Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend any raft/kayak outfitters in Ciudad Valles region in Mexico? Also, does anyone know of any good surf (both kayak and board) beaches on the Pacific Coast of Mexico, in the area of Manzanillo/Puerto Vallarta?

Thanks,
BullSCit

·
Registered
109 Posts
see the other thread...

... I think that Agua Azul (owned by Grant Amaral) is the only outfitting company. He never returned my phone calls when I was down there, so I cannot really say anything good or bad about the services he provides. There was a starting rafting company a few years ago, but I don't remember their name, or if they had anything to do with kayaking... sorry.

Also read: http://www.mountainbuzz.com/viewtopic.php?t=172

tom.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A Couple Questions for You Tom

Tom,
I checked out your Slackerdom reading a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like you had a great trip. I have been in that area several times, and have also found the people incredible. I am going to be down there next week with a couple of guys and I thought we would try some rafting or some easy kayaking if we can find some, as they have never kayaked before. I remember when going back into Valles from the west on Highway 70, that there are a bunch of rafting signs that point up to the north. Do you know anything about that? We are only looking to do a days worth of something out there. But then we are heading towards Manzanillo, and I was wondering if you have any knowledge of that area, down on the Pacific Coast. Looking at the maps, there are several rivers over there and some 4,000 meter high peaks in the area, so I was hoping it could be nice.

Thanks,
Bull

·
Registered
109 Posts
some links

Hey, cool, glad you liked my trip report. It was a good time. Well, I looked around and found the name of the company that was getting formed. Their name is Aventura Huasteca, and you can find their web site at:

http://www.aventurahuasteca.com/intro.htm

I found that links through google -- and this page has more links to other outfitters throughout Mexico:

http://www.amtave.org/members.htm

I haven't done anything at all on the Pacific side, so I cannot help you there. Maybe one of the AMTAVE links will help. I have spent a 3+ weeks in the Veracruz region, though, so if you head that way I should be able to give you some more info.. Have a great trip,

tom.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One More Question

Tom,
Thanks for the website for Adventura Huasteca, as I just talked to the guy and am trying to get a package going. Is there a difference in how they rate the rivers down there? Because the package we are going for is a Class 3 raft, and a Class 2 kayak. Is this the same as Class 2-3 on the Arkansas? Because here are the two runs they would do:

1 Descenso en Kayaks en el Río Micos Clase II
1 Descenso de Rafting Río Tampaon Clase III

And the kayaks are inflatable, which probably isn't too big of a deal, especially if we are dropping some cascadas.

Thanks for any beta,
Bull

·
Registered
109 Posts
sweet :)

hey Bull, that sounds great :) I think that the ratings seem reasonable -- I'm not sure what they mean by Rio Micos.

If they mean the "Cascadas Micos" section, I wouldn't call that a class 2 -- IMHO, no waterfall is. That's probably a class 3 run, after all, there are hardly any consequences, and the water is deep, and none of the landings will recirculate you.

Rio Micos might be simply another secion of Rio Valles -- it's all the same river, but it's called different names in different places by different people.

Rating Tampaon a class III sounds reasonable as well... So I think it sounds good. I'm curious how much are they charging you per person -- ballpark.

tom.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Prices

Tom,
The prices are quite reasonable. It is around $270 per person for two nights lodging at the hotel we were going to stay at anyway and three activities (rappelling/rafting/kayaking) plus 6 meals and guide service/equipment and local transportation. We have stayed at that hotel before, and it is around 80 bucks a night, so all sounds good.

Thanks again,
Bull

·
Registered
418 Posts
Last winter when I was kayaking down there we ran into some mexican raft guides who were kayaking the micos on their days off. Don't know if this is the same company, but I assume so. They were all super nice and fun to paddle with. Their english was marginal at best, but it was still fun. I'd say that if these are the guys you will be with, that you are in good hands.

The top part of the micos has many significant waterfalls that I would not have wanted to do as a beginner. However, the guides told me that they take customers on the lower section (below the waterfall run), which is a lot easier and safer. I've never done it, but I heard it was class 2.
Have fun,
Jennifer

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Info About Rio Tampaon

Jennifer/Tom,
Do either of you have info on the Rio Tampaon, which is the river south of Highway 70? It supposively is Class III, and we were hoping to do some waterfalls or something in that general area.

BS

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
play or creek?

my griends are going down to san luis potosi this january and i was wondering if it is better to bring the creek boats or the play boats. we plan on running the waterfall section on the micos, and other similiar runs.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
River Beta

The Tampaon (also called the Puente de Dios) is Class II-III; playboats are fine but there's not a ton of play- more of a scenic run, really. The Salto is a waterfall run that you can run in a playboat, but there are no playspots besides eddy lines, and there are a few spots where the pin potential is significant. The Ojo Frio & Micos can be run in playboats as well, but dropping falls with your feet crammed into a playboat never made a lot of sense to me. The Santa Maria and the Verde both have some pin potential and are long days with very little to no playspots. The crux of the Santa Maria is similar to parts of the Upper Taos Box. Chances are the Verde will not have enough water in it in late December /;early January anyway.

Its all about personal preferences; if you have a "middle" boat in your quiver, you can take that. I take a creek boat these days, but I'm going earlier (next week) to catch higher water. If you're definitely planning on hitting the coast (there's a decent jetty break at La Pesca) & you have enough room, strap an extra playboat to the top of the truck to trade off.

·
Registered
109 Posts
some pictures...

Sounds like El Flaco said all there's to say -- I don't have anything to add. If you want to see some pictures, I do have some of those, to complement his answer:

http://www.slackerdom.com/2001/12_mexico/dec21.html

I enjoyed Rio Tampaon a lot, for me it had the added edge of going with one friend and scouting most drops, i.e. a bit of an expedition feel :) Beautiful water, and incredible huecos (swiss cheese holes in the rock) all around it. Even though it wasn't challenging paddling, it was so beautiful that I'd love to go back there.

tom.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Agreed, El Flaco covered it all. Joe, I think a creek boat would be over-kill. The water will be low, and in the 4 trips I've done there, I never needed anything bigger than a xxx.

Jennifer

·
Registered
3 Posts
it's mexico. Everyone boats everything in playboats. If you are already heading south Veracruz is worth the trip and Jalcomulco on the rio pescados is the place to be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts