Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the kayaking season is upon us and there is a conflict between getting out and having fun and the stay at home directives in most western states. The only way I see getting around this (short of having an open bed truck or motorcycle to shuttle with) is kayaking with people in places where bicycle shuttles are possible or solo kayaking. My hope with this forum thread is that people will suggest river stretches where these two options are possible.

I'm ready to head out to boat for the next few months. My intent is to camp solo and boat with people then bicycle shuttle. Also open to soloing up to Class III water. I'd greatly appreciate some good beta on where it is possible to boat, bicycle shuttle and camp nearby, I'm out of here. thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The San Miguel fits your bill perfectly. Camp and launch from Caddis Flats. It's an easy bike shuttle to the Beaver takeout; 8 or 9 paved miles is my guess. Same deal with the upper, from Deep Creek to Placerville.
I wouldn't consider this a destination type river but, if your passing through and it's over 500CFS, it's worth a day or two.
The Taylor is also prime for this. Dam released I think 300CFS is my cut off on this.
Have fun, keep to your self, stay safe.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Browns Canyon on the Arkansas down to the Stone Bridge takeout is a good,easy bike shuttle. That takeout gets you a few more river miles and rapids but also is allot easier than biking up and over a mountain to get out of Hecla, the takeout above it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
So the kayaking season is upon us and there is a conflict between getting out and having fun and the stay at home directives in most western states. The only way I see getting around this (short of having an open bed truck or motorcycle to shuttle with) is .../QUOTE]

Why do you want to ' Get around this ' ? Why not co-operate with ' this ' , where ' this ' means what 99% of the population of this planet want right now ? Which is a feasible, scientific and realistic plan to eliminate, or at least control, this virus and others from our societies. Are you organizing a distension of the course of actions so far ? Are your personal motives convincing enough to sway the other 99% ?

Or are you just another dick who wants to do what they want when they want ? And not give a f$%^ about the other 99% ?

·
Registered
780 Posts
So the kayaking season is upon us and there is a conflict between getting out and having fun and the stay at home directives in most western states. The only way I see getting around this (short of having an open bed truck or motorcycle to shuttle with) is .../QUOTE]

Why do you want to ' Get around this ' ? Why not co-operate with ' this ' , where ' this ' means what 99% of the population of this planet want right now ? Which is a feasible, scientific and realistic plan to eliminate, or at least control, this virus and others from our societies. Are you organizing a distension of the course of actions so far ? Are your personal motives convincing enough to sway the other 99% ?

Or are you just another dick who wants to do what they want when they want ? And not give a f$%^ about the other 99% ?

Hmmm.... Guessing the latter...

·
Registered
86 Posts

Enough with this already. Seems like the OP is being responsible. I'm sure he cares about other people like the rest of us, but is just looking to get out and boat. Give it a rest already with the shaming. Keep it on Facebook.

OP: The Animas in Durango is a great bike shuttle run. Class III, great play spots and is looking to come up next week. I'll be doing the same as it's my home run. Dispersed Camping will be a bit of a challenge close by, but will be more available when then open gates to alot of FS roads on 5/1.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sanjuan/alerts-notices/?cid=fsbdev3_002309

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the record, and as the original author of this post, I have quarantined myself for the past eight weeks and have only been out of the house to solo to mountain bike and take walks. Proposing to go camp by myself, and boat by myself, or with others and then bicycle back to my personal vehicle or campsite poses no threat to the general public. I am as responsible as they come.

·
Registered
241 Posts
No worries, Phil. Sounds pretty responsible to me. I think CO Dave may have a stick where the sun don't shine, as he berated another poster based on assumptions (check out the recent Dominguez thread).

The Uncompahgre around Montrose has a lot of self shuttle potential, as do the Gunnison, Taylor, and Lake Fork of the Gunnison.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think Westwater on the Colorado Utah border is one of the best bicycle shuttles. Easy permit, easy shuttle. Think they are currently allowing only day trips but that will probably change soon

·
Registered
133 Posts
Viruses are pretty danmed small. And they self-replicate. All it took to get this started was one (1.) mutated virus that got to a human or animal and away we went. It is highly unlikely that every stinkin' individual sample of this virus will be eliminated from the galaxy anytime soon. I believe we are stuck with it for a while. I hope I'm wrong; if so, I'll be very (and happily) surprised.
If people want to take a bicycle ride as a shuttle for a river run, I doubt seriously if it would be possible for that to make a difference in the outcome of this viral attack on our species. I could be terribly wrong ... I often am. Then again, I'm often terribly right. All this IMHO, of course. If lions and tigers and dogs can host the virus, we're screw'd.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Arkansas: Royal Gorge - highway, road bike
Arkansas: Numbers- dirt, mountain bike
Arkansas: Pine Creek - adds a couple miles of highway
Anthracite Creek: Lower 7 Miles - dirt road, mountain bike
Roaring Fork: Paved bike trail Aspen to Glenwood
Colorado: Barrel Springs & Shoshone - paved bike trail
Colorado: Westwater - dirt road, mountain bike
Colorado: Upper C - dirt road, mountain bike
Colorado: Upper, Upper C (aka Gore) - dirt road, mountain bike
Eagle: Paved bike trail full length
Gore Creek: Paved bike trail
Crystal: Paved bike trail on lower?
Animas: Paved bike trail on town run
Lake Fork Gunnison: dirt road, mountain bike
Poudre: Paved busy narrow highway (no thanks)
Gunnison: Town Run - short highway section, some gravel
Boulder Creek: Paved Bike Path for Lower Canyon & Town Run
Piedra: Lower Box (First Box) - dirt road, mountain bike
South Platte: Waterton Canyon - dirt road
South Platte: City Run (aka Dirty South) - paved bike trail
Yampa: Cross Mountain Gorge - rumor has it there is a single track short cut
Yampa: Steamboat Town Run - Paved bike path

I've been giving this some thought myself.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My only thoughts are that I live in northern Colorado, and have been trying to do my part to stay away from others and stay healthy, and there are many parts of the state that I do not feel welcome. I don't think summit county wants me, nor does clear creek county. I don't think San Migel or Chaffee wants me, and Eagle too, probably others. I am fortunate that Larimer is big, diverse and cool, and comes with a river, among other facets for me to get out.

I might have a hard time seeing folks from out of state getting to play in my backyard, while I don't feel welcome there. BTW, some counties are ticketing out of county license plates...out is state plates are low hanging fruit.

I'm not really trying to say do or don't, mostly just wishing my memorial day camping reservations weren't cancelled, and A-Basin would open back up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Selway River. Of course, if you wait until after May 15, you need a permit, but there are some early cancellations sometimes if the road is bad enough.

Only 14h 41m of brutal muddy snowpacked mountain biking to run the shuttle.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
My only thoughts are that I live in northern Colorado, and have been trying to do my part to stay away from others and stay healthy, and there are many parts of the state that I do not feel welcome. I don't think summit county wants me, nor does clear creek county. I don't think San Migel or Chaffee wants me, and Eagle too, probably others. I am fortunate that Larimer is big, diverse and cool, and comes with a river, among other facets for me to get out.
Yep, Chaffee and Gunnison are still closed and there have been some citations issued. Lucky for me Numbers and Fractions are within 10 miles of my house.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts