Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a ton of these threads over the last couple years, but here are some new 2015 offerings. The NRS and Astral look promising! Probably go with a Fiveten (clearance price reason), but may have to drop some dough!

How much bigger does everyone get in water shoes/boots for using with drysuits? I see some say 1 to 1.5 sizes bigger, whereas others say no change to 1.2 size bigger.

New Year, New Shoes

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Canyoneer!! Man I love those shoes, sized up by 1. Kokatat dry suit socks are pretty thin. Only downside of these shoes are bulk IMHO.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Astral all the way. Great company with excellent warranty and custy support. Their spring catalogue looks siiiiicccckkkkk with a bunch new shoes but out now are the Brewers and Rasslers and a few others. I size up .5 to accommodate drysuit or socks.

Astral Products - Footwear

Rad!

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
Footwear?
Cheapest pair of canvas shoes with a decent sole and shoe laces. Nothing fancy; you're gonna stink em up something fierce, they'll be wet always, and no matter how good or fancy, last one season.

Price; $15
Priceless!

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Footwear?
Cheapest pair of canvas shoes with a decent sole and shoe laces. Nothing fancy; you're gonna stink em up something fierce, they'll be wet always, and no matter how good or fancy, last one season.

Price; $15
Priceless!
I agree except if you are engaging in technical/exposed portages. Then I would upgrade to something with better grip. 5.10 rubber is excellent and exists in the astral line as well.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was not an early adopter of the Astral shoes, but I'm a total convert now. Lightweight, excellent wet traction, and they dry very fast. Also, there is no built up heel like so many shoes have and which I abhor in a kayak. I sized up a full size for my drysuit, expecting to be wearing thick pile socks at the same time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wear astral brewers most days, on and off the river. I would get the rasslers just to protect my drysuit socks, had a stick puncture a sock the other day. Bomber shoes.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
I buy sub-$50 mesh tennies at Sports Authority and run in them. When my knees start to hurt I make them my fall hiking shoes and hike 14ers and backpack in them. Then I fix 'em up with Aquaseal they become next season's boating shoes. This rotaton has been affordable and solid for me. I buy them 1/2 size big for all of these activities. Running and hiking makes the feet swell and boating I can fit neoprene socks and/or drysuit booties.

Spend the Astral $ on a new PFD or a rescue course and you'll be far safer than the hype about better rubber traction will make you.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Methinks I probably encountered Schutzie buying his summer wardrobe at Yellow Front (I certainly did) back in the late 70's... Two pairs of cotton shorts, couple of tee shirts, and a pair of rubber flip-flops that might last a month before blowing out the strap - for less than $20 you were set for a season. Throw in the fashion statement if you managed to engage the cashier in conversation...

·
Registered
384 Posts
hype-shmipe. As with anything, make an investment that will last for many seasons. If your feet are all slippy on river rocks and uncomfortable you're going to have a bad time.

·
addict
741 Posts
If you're a poser and need advice on coolers, any footwear will do. Shoes are better than sandals.

If you are creeking and running the shit, high quality shoes are a must. Sticky rubber is pretty helpful when you're leaping from rock to snot-covered rock to assist your buddy who is pinned and trying not to drown.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I love my Astral Brewers. They are going strong into their 4th season. Biggest solution to their longevity is seam sealing the exposed stitching. In total they have about 180+ days in them as I use them for rafting, fly fishing small streams in the summer and quick trips around town. All around comfy shoe and definitely love their ease of wearing by pushing the back down.

I tried the cheap route and found it a fruitless endeavor. $75 for the shoes and $5 for seam sealer over the course of 3 seasons....I consider that a steal. Rubber has shown minimal wear.

Phillip

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anybody try the adidas Outdoor climacool jawpaw
Just got a pair of these, they're pretty great. Lower profile than the water tennies (fit in a playboat!), sticky Stealth sole (make sure you get the lace ones, older models dont have the same sole). Quick to drain, quick to dry (overnight) and more comfortable for me than various 5.10 models i've tried.

Seems well made, though only worn 3 days so far. True to size, ordered same size as i wear in 5.10, and spot on. And, cheaper than the Astral or 5.10 offerings. Win!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wore my Water Tennies on Sat and almost tore out the pull tab on back trying to get my foot in drysuit bootie into shoe. Not built that well.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts