Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for the unicorn shelter for my days on the river. It needs to hold up to winds and not snap in half or get blown away at High gusts., it needs to not weigh too much, put up fast in times of big storms coming in, need to be able to cook in it, have river dance parties in it, maybe even have an option to lock out mosquitoes and wasps?? Mostly I need a shelter that doesn’t get destroyed in high winds and is not a bitch to put up in a hurry... any recommendations???

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Wow, that is asking a lot. Seems like conflicting requirements.

I have a friend who is geology field camp professor who has a "structure" he frequently employs for students and on some river trips. I've never been about when he's used it but I'll ask him concerning your needs for a insta-beach-party-hut/survival lodge.

I also look forward to feedback from the MB crew.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hmm. Those are high requirements and really nothing comes to mind that will fulfill all of them. That being said, my family really enjoys the North Face Kaiju 6. It’s enormous, can cook in the garage, sets up easy, partly freestanding, and is bomber in the wind. It probably weighs 25lbs and packs up in a large dry bag.

Dance parties for days.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Hmm. Those are high requirements and really nothing comes to mind that will fulfill all of them. That being said, my family really enjoys the North Face Kaiju 6. It’s enormous, can cook in the garage, sets up easy, partly freestanding, and is bomber in the wind. It probably weighs 25lbs and packs up in a large dry bag.

Dance parties for days.

Yep, but they are discontinued it seems.. Out of stock at least everywhere I looked, but I didn't do an exhaustive search either.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Nice...

Dance parties for days.
I really like that North Face with the garage, it gives you options for cooking and dance parties with a little mast bumping to make things fun and leave's your sleeping area clean. I like the bigger tents, 25 lb. is not bad at all.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
I would give Matt a call at Dragon Fly tarps. I've seen some pretty cool shelters that he has made that would basically replace a yurt. Also, his river tarps are high quality and easy to use with the rollercams. No affiliation, I just like his stuff.

https://www.dragonflytarps.com/
Is he offering mortgages on his tarps? It sure is nice, but 700 bucks for a tarp? Does it talk? Make dinner?

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Oh, and I almost forgot, 120.00 for poles and 100.00 for 4 straps? Almost a grand tied up in a tarp.. you can buy a REALLY nice wall tent with a woodstove for that money, and have enough left over to pay for the shuttle and beer!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yep, but they are discontinued it seems.. Out of stock at least everywhere I looked, but I didn't do an exhaustive search either.
That’s a bummer. It does look like they’ve been discontinued in that form. However, NF is showing another tent the “Wawona 6” that appears to be the exact same tent, but, it’s single wall. Whereas mine is a large screen tent inside of a fly. Looks like it could be even easier to setup, but I hope it’s well vented.

I can stand up in mine, and so can my wife who’s 6’. Makes for some comfortable, bug free camping. It works for us, but I hear you- the search for the holy grail of tents is ever ongoing.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Is he offering mortgages on his tarps? It sure is nice, but 700 bucks for a tarp? Does it talk? Make dinner?
Yeah... definitely crazy for the price. There is no way its worth the premium over an MSR or NRS wing.

I feel the same way about what Seek Outside charges for their stuff is outrageous. There are definitely better deals to be had out there for similar stuff. $700+ dollars for a Tipi tent...and it doesn't even come seam sealed. I'm sure they aren't getting rich off it either...but its not worth it when I get a Luxe Gear Tipi or many others for less then half the price.

I've seriously thought about getting a hot tent Tipi...definitely seems like the right size version of that might fit the bill. Seems like a "Bell Tent" might fit the bill for ya... lots of space and ventilation, seems sturdy in the wind, and you can stand up inside for those dance parties...

Many different manufacturers who make them in a bunch of different sizes and materials.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Thanks, 2tomcat2 for the link to North Face Kaiju 6 tent, it shows the double wall design of the tent. First it will allow for ventilation and keeping fresh air circulating, keeping the moisture to a minimum. My question is, what is keeping a person from putting a small Cylinder wood burning stove in the garage area of the tent for heating the whole tent during winter months? I'm familiar with wood burning stoves in huge canvas cabin tents. For two to four people this North Face tent design looks great. My son-in-law has been looking for a tent for summer camping and winter hunting trips. Plus you could cook on the wood stove also, is what I'm thinking too. Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
I might suggest Kifaru for a Tipi! Built better, original idea, warranty above all others and SO learned from Patrick.
I’ve taken my 8 man on trips, it gets hot in the sun, as do all enclosures. It rocks on early spring trips when a fire makes all the party happen!
We like our Nrs wing and the msr as well, ended up with them after extensive research and limited budgets.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've got a springbar tent and I love it, but I wouldn't take it on a raft trip. Mine is heavy as hell, and bulky. Take a look at the REI Kingdom 6 with an add on garage. Tons of room and several setup configurations. I agree with the other folks that said it sounds like you're talking about 2 different tents. The tipi style might suit you very well, but since I don't have one, I can't speak to it.

Good luck in your search. I'll keep an eye on this thread as I am a collector of tents.

HM

1 - 20 of 52 Posts