Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've heard that playboats will be no fun for river running.

But if so, then why do most people I see river running use playboats? Can it really be THAT bad if everyone is able to make do with them?

I never see anyone really using a boat like mine unless there's a beginner class on the water.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it's because some peeps cannot afford to have a boat for each type of use. Playboats are generally slower, thus why most prefer a longer boat for river running. I have four different styles of kayaks and I still want for more.

my $0.02

Bob

·
Registered
311 Posts
I like to run most stuff in my playboat, it makes easier smaller rivers more interesting. You can play the tiny little features and it makes the stuff that would be boring in a true river runner a little more exciting.

·
Registered
586 Posts
As long as you're not talking about CREEKING, I feel strongly that a playboat is a better option - and not just on easier runs.
I think playboats are great for big water class 4. They track well, you can turn on a dime and you can sub under big waves and holes that would surf a creeker.
I ran the Grand Canyon at 14,000 in a playboat this spring and it was great. Numbers at 3,200, S.F. Payette at 7,000 -- the playboat is the right call. Not to mention that you get to play and surf as well as just run the river.

·
doesn't need a fake name
481 Posts
If you're a beginner/intermediate, don't worry about it. If you need a creeekboat to run something, you probably shouldn't yet be running it. So you might as well use a playboat and try to find waves during the run. Just paddle. It will be plenty of fun.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I only own a playboat. So I run everything in it. It is SUPER fun. The only complaint I have is when you find yourself coming up on a munchy hole that you can't avoid, or if the run has a bunch of flatwater. Other then that, it is blast... splat everything, surf even little waves, throw flatwater tricks during short flatwater floats. Keeps it interesting for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts