Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and also new to rafting. I have been whitewater canoeing and flatwater kayaking for many years but I'm opening a new chapter in my floating adventures. Other than a handful of guided trips down local waters I don't have any experience in a raft.

This forum has been a great resource. I have purchased my first raft and frame setup and I've also been somewhat lucky in picking up an unclaimed permit last week for the Rio Chama this July. I was online at 8 a.m., April 1st and basically grabbed the first date in July that I could land my mouse pointer on. I put in on a Tuesday and take out on Friday. I realize being mid-week in July there may not be much water in the river but I'm feeling optimistic.

I was wanting to know how many boats I would be allowed to have in my group? I only have the one permit so does that mean I will only be allowed one boat or does it work differently than that?

Looking forward to many inaugural floats this season on everything from mild to a bit wild.

Thank you for any replies and for welcoming me aboard Mountain Buzz.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All of that information is available on the Rio Chama river permit page on recreation.gov. I don't believe there's a boat limit, but you'll be limited to the NMDOH group size guidance defined by Rio Arriba County at the time you launch. You'll either be allowed 5, 10, or 16 people on your permit. As many boats as you need to carry those folks should be fine. You can always call the BLM number listed on the Rio Chama rec.gov page to get a question straight from the source.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and also new to rafting. I have been whitewater canoeing and flatwater kayaking for many years but I'm opening a new chapter in my floating adventures. Other than a handful of guided trips down local waters I don't have any experience in a raft.

This forum has been a great resource. I have purchased my first raft and frame setup and I've also been somewhat lucky in picking up an unclaimed permit last week for the Rio Chama this July. I was online at 8 a.m., April 1st and basically grabbed the first date in July that I could land my mouse pointer on. I put in on a Tuesday and take out on Friday. I realize being mid-week in July there may not be much water in the river but I'm feeling optimistic.

I was wanting to know how many boats I would be allowed to have in my group? I only have the one permit so does that mean I will only be allowed one boat or does it work differently than that?

Looking forward to many inaugural floats this season on everything from mild to a bit wild.

Thank you for any replies and for welcoming me aboard Mountain Buzz.
Welcome to the Buzz! Thanks for reaching out, we were all newbies once....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just FYI, you might not want to get your hopes up just yet. I am in a FB group where there's a thread going about Chama permits getting cancelled. (Edited to add that I see a thread going here now too.) Apparently Wreck.gov forgot to account for rollover permits in their lottery number (or something) and issued too many permits. They're in the process of cancelling a bunch of launch dates. But, in their infinite competence, when they're cancelling those permits, their software is re-posting them as being available.

I hope yours is for real, but just be aware it might not be since that's right when this person was talking about the issue happening. Take this second hand knowledge for what it's worth.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've only heard of Friday launches being cancelled for the Chama. Mine was one of them. My wife got a midweek launch and hers was not cancelled. If you are a midweek launch in July, you'll need to keep an eye on the flow too because it could be too low.

Edit: Should have read your whole post! With a Tuesday launch, I think you're fine. You probably would have been notified by now if there was a cancellation. Looks like you also know about the flow. You could have the Upper C as a backup if the flow is no good. That way you can go on a trip regardless. The Upper C doesn't require a permit and there are multiple takeout options depending on how many nights you want to do.

·
Renaissance *******
1,346 Posts
Just FYI, you might not want to get your hopes up just yet. I am in a FB group where there's a thread going about Chama permits getting cancelled. (Edited to add that I see a thread going here now too.) Apparently Wreck.gov forgot to account for rollover permits in their lottery number (or something) and issued too many permits. They're in the process of cancelling a bunch of launch dates. But, in their infinite competence, when they're cancelling those permits, their software is re-posting them as being available.
Thats Bullshit. I would go anyway and tell the ranger to shove it.... If I had the nerve

Reactions: NoCo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the input. I looked at my email and I had received a message about an error on their part with the permits but not to worry as they were correcting the situation. I'm remaining optimistic about water levels on the Chama but just in case I made a couple of reservations for a campsite up on the Poudre in late July as well. It looked like I grabbed a couple of the few remaining two night slots for the month of July up there also. I'll be much better prepared for 2022 with everything I'm learning now. I'm in the heavy research phase as I'm sure most beginners can relate to. I know I'm grateful to live in Colorado with so many opportunities available.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I learned to Row on the Poudre in the 1900s. If you can navigate the Poudre with a 16 ft raft. You’ll do well Pilgrim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I learned to Row on the Poudre in the 1900s. If you can navigate the Poudre with a 16 ft raft. You’ll do well Pilgrim.
I'm realizing my chance at good water on the Poudre mid to late July doesn't look very prosperous either but they were the only dates available for overnight camping. Water or no, that will still be fun. I'm thinking of camping up near Red Feathers in June to try to catch some better water levels for at least one weekend if I can talk a few of my friends to joining me. I fear some of my go-to spots may have been burned last summer. Further investigation required.

You used to row a 16' raft on the Poudre back in the day? That sounds great. Would love to hear more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm realizing my chance at good water on the Poudre mid to late July doesn't look very prosperous either but they were the only dates available for overnight camping. Water or no, that will still be fun. I'm thinking of camping up near Red Feathers in June to try to catch some better water levels for at least one weekend if I can talk a few of my friends to joining me. I fear some of my go-to spots may have been burned last summer. Further investigation required.

You used to row a 16' raft on the Poudre back in the day? That sounds great. Would love to hear more.
We started Kayaking the Poudre in the late 80s. I purchased an used Udisco 16 ft and started rowing the Bridges section and moving up the canyon. Upgraded equipment to a 16 ft Hyside Cat and really enjoyed rowing more than Kayaking. Started getting permits and Rowing multi day trips. Been Rowing ever since.

·
Definite maybe
808 Posts
Its going to be another year of cyber reservations on the Poudre. That sucks. The whole summer is already reserved, wreck.gov. sucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its going to be another year of cyber reservations on the Poudre. That sucks. The whole summer is already reserved, wreck.gov. sucks.
I'm afraid the entire state is likely already reserved. It's been this way for a while now. You can still get lucky with first come/first served sites though. There's often times still great campsites to be found if you just go for it.

·
Definite maybe
808 Posts
I do blm anyways. This online reservation system sucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts