Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a river map for the Moab Daily section of the Colorado. Haven't found much online. Any suggestions for where to order one?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Moab Stretch

www.westwaterbooks.com/

Canyonlands River Guide has the Colorado from Loma to Lake Powell, and the Green from Green River to the confluence. Probably not the best guide for Cataract, but a fine guide for Loma to Moab and Labyrinth/Stillwater. Really, the BLM map will do just fine for the 13 mile Moab daily stretch and other day runs. Fold it in half and laminate it if need be.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Reading the regulations on the BLM map I see this:
-All boats over 16 feet must have a type IV throwable PFD

I'm fairly new to rafting but I don't think I've ever seen that regulation before. I have a 14 so it doesn't apply to me.

Is it a common regulation in Utah?

·
Registered
441 Posts

I'm fairly new to rafting but I don't think I've ever seen that regulation before. I have a 14 so it doesn't apply to me.

Yes, has been for years. A throw bag satisfies the reg on rivers.

·
Registered
47 Posts

It is in Colorado as well. A throw bag works on our rivers as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Cool.

Throw bags I got. Type IV throwable PFDs (which I'm guessing are those seat cushion looking things) not so much. I do know people that carry them though and now I know why.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hi,

True, BLM and some other agencies let you substitute a throw bag for the Type IV.

Be aware, however that at Grand Canyon, a throw bag is not an allowable substitute for a Type IV. Over the years, many treks have been made back to Page for a $10 "seat pad" before a trip could launch at Lees Ferry.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

1 - 9 of 9 Posts