Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some new ideas for river lunches. I somehow end up being the "Lunch Lady" on a lot of trips. We usually do wraps with meat & cheese, chips, fruit, cookies. Also do tuna or chicken salad. What are your favorite lunch ideas???? I'd like to infuse some variety into our lunch menu.
Thanks
KJ

·
Registered
476 Posts
My favorite river lunch of all time was on the Grand Canyon. Chicken curry wraps. Was a bit spicy yet refreshing on a hot day. Don't know the recipe, but it can't be too hard.

Looking forward to other replies....

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Beer, power bar, another beer.

Some trips I have been on have BYO lunches.
Much easier, no long stop, eat when you are hungry, not when the group is hungry. Works better for days with hikes.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
A couple non-traditional favorites:

Greek lunch - Mix cannellini and kidney beans (drain and rinse first) with a jar of pesto for the base. Slice some hard salami. Have a bunch of condiments - feta, hummus, cucumbers, tomatos, red onions, marinated artichoke hearts, olives. Pita bread to hold it all.

Mexican wraps - Mix canned chicken (or fresh if you can) with pinto, black and kidney beans and a package of taco seasoning. Have tortillas, sour cream, cheese, black olives, onions, salsa and hot sauce.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Pasta salads (cook the pasta in the morning during breakfast) are a pretty quick and easy option. Vinaigrette dressing is probably a little safer than mayo though.

Laurie- I like the sound of those mexican wraps.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
For cold weather trips, I like this idea- Heat up soup in the morning with breakfast, put in an Igloo drink cooler. It will still be warm at lunch; serve with hard rolls in plastic cups.

I've made several different kinds of soups, but gumbo I think was the biggest hit.

Thai peanut chicken salad- pre-cooked chicken cubes, celery, peanuts, and thai peanut sauce on wraps or pita pockets. The peanut sauce will last longer than mayo.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Bagel's with lox (smoked salmon), cream cheese and sliced tomatoes. I am going to write down these other lunch idea's also.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is similar to the meat and cheese wrap, but does work very well:

Pitas with summer sausage, cheese, and hummus

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I'm looking for some new ideas for river lunches. I somehow end up being the "Lunch Lady" on a lot of trips. We usually do wraps with meat & cheese, chips, fruit, cookies. Also do tuna or chicken salad. What are your favorite lunch ideas???? I'd like to infuse some variety into our lunch menu.
Thanks
KJ

The best lunch I have had on the river was a fairly basic wrap, but what made it so good were the chips, cookies(oreo in this instance), gummie bears, trail mix, and and apple also included. I say the extras dress up any good base sandwich or wrap and are easy to vary. But I like the snacks, made my feel like my loving mother packed the lunch especially for me.....

·
Registered
676 Posts
the best lunch i can have on the water is a heavy duty sandwich, chips, and a beer, followed by a few cookies. i like lots of veggies on the sandwich, a good hearty bread, some good cheese, and a moderate amount of meat. chips need to be salty. beer needs to be cold. cookies just need to be sweet and chewy.

·
Registered
700 Posts
PB&J sandwiches on bread (or tortillas/pitas) make a great addition to any lunch, especially if you have kids in tow. They're quick and easy and I think they taste great after a long morning of paddling (what doesn't). They also provide some quick energy.

·
Super Moderator
3,965 Posts
When planning lunches I think its important to consider what kind of microtrash your offering will generate. I recommend wraps as well for this reason - not only are they tasty, quick and easy, they don't require plates or paper napkins, and there's very little food that falls from them compared to regular sandwiches.

Also I like to think about other things when planning lunch: Does this fruit have seeds folks will be spitting into the bushes? Will juice from this fruit dribble onto the ground and attract ants? Will the crumbs from cutting this baguette litter the ground?

This has the benefit of leaving the beach more pristine and discouraging critter colonization at lunch stops and camps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
one of our staple lunches, we set up 1 tray with assorted meats, cheeses and crackers, another with vegitables and ranch dip, then a third with assorted fresh fruits. having everything prepped and divided by meal makes setting out the trays quicker and less messy (though some things like cucumbers and melons need to be cut up as you use them). this lunch never gets boring because there are so many variations. you can even do ethnic themes. not to mention the convenience of canned and dried stuff for longer trips.

though pricey, MREs are also quick and convenient. they allow everyone to eat when and wherever they want.

·
Registered
135 Posts
One tip I learned is... Whoever is on breakfast duty makes lunch right after breakfast, and passes it out to the group at that time. This way everyone can throw their lunch in the cooler, then eat whenever they're hungry. It saves time later in the day since there is no need to stop for lunch...

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks

Thanks buzzards...... keep the great ideas coming!

I'm doing lunch on an April Deso trip, so the warm soup idea sounds good. I'm also digging the different chicken & pasta salad ideas.
We love wraps because they travel & pack better than bread, plus you can cram them full of goodies.
I've done the BYOL thing, but we prefer to stop for lunch. We keep the lunch stuff in one of those smaller York Action Packers (food, cutting board, knife, hand wipes, trash bag, etc). We also keep a small table handy. When we stop for lunch it's easy to grab the lunch table & lunch box and get lunch set up. Stopping gives the kids & dogs (and us old folks) a chance to get out of the boat, stretch, pee, eat, chat, and discuss the afternoon float plan.
KJ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts