Mountain Buzz banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
echoing the 3 years ago thai comment:

quinoa rice packet, cole slaw mix (or chopped cabbage), can of mandarin oranges, peanuts, sesame ginger (or peanut) dressing. a wrap if more carbs desired; canned chicken or leftover tofu etc if more protein is your thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will take ground beef, potatoes, and other veggies and wrap them in foil. You can flatten them into the shape of a frisbee then stack them in a cooler so they don't take much room. I toss them into the fire until cooked, pull it out of the fire, open it up, and YUM! Only silverware used is a camping sporkife (spoon, fork, knife all-in-one).

We called them foil dinners growing up and they were a staple camping dish. I just Google'd foil dinner and I'll be damned if my fam isn't the only one who did this :D :D

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I will take ground beef, potatoes, and other veggies and wrap them in foil. You can flatten them into the shape of a frisbee then stack them in a cooler so they don't take much room. I toss them into the fire until cooked, pull it out of the fire, open it up, and YUM! Only silverware used is a camping sporkife (spoon, fork, knife all-in-one).
Dang, you go all out for lunch!

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Vacuum seal slices of your favorite pizza from home! MMMM, cold pizza on the river is DIVINE!!! Or take it out of the cooler in the AM so it isn't cold-hard.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dang, you go all out for lunch!
That's for multi-days generally. On a day trip I've taken pulled pork smoked the night or two before along with a hiking stove with fuel. Streamside smoked pull pork sammiches with hard boiled quail eggs...mmm mmmm!!!

If I'm not catching fish, I'm catching something else and eating good at least :D :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went one year ago on a trip, and my husband was responsible for cooking some food. Guess what, sandwiches, no inspiration. I was so mad at him because I gain three kg, which is a catastrophe. I had to run 10 miles per week! Gosh, that's why the last trip I took care of our meals. I got inspired from interned, blog posts as lolacovington.com, and tasty salads, including my favorite one, chicken Waldorf salad, with apples, celery, walnuts, grapes, hmmm! Or what about cream cheese chicken wraps or tomato bruschetta! ( I'm in love with Italian food). For many recommendations and inspiring recipes, check some websites! One you have got from me already.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Didn’t read the whole thread, but some of us in our group are starting to consider the BYO lunch and not stopping option. I find the lunch stop, setting up hand wash, table etc tedious and would rather just snack and get to preferred hikes or campsites sooner.
Some like to eat, some don't. And a river lunch seems to generate more trash than on your own...not sure why, but that was my experience.
Stopping and re-starting a big group also takes a lot of time.

·
My name isn't Will
291 Posts
just a thought,
for a good lunch, you could always eat whatever is available and appreciate the F'n GRAND CANYON! Maybe your white privilege doesn't allow that, sorry. F'n rafters, what a shitty thread. I'm sorry your grand trip sucked so bad, remind me never to go with you mr. "this sunny day away from work on the river is great, but goddamn its ruined by my $40 socks, the cotton/poly blend is way off, and they don't match my oarlocks. This is the worst trip ever!" F'n people! am I right?
On my second to last trip to the Canyon, we did a Painless Private. We were more focused on enjoying the canyon and hiking than complex meals. We did have some GREAT food, but just to make things simple, the TL opted for the quick and easy flat meat lunch for most days. We mixed it up a little bit with some other very simple lunches, but I will say that after 23 days of cold cuts, I really didn't want to see cold cuts for a LONG time.

Last trip down was all self-outfitted, and we did lunches on our own, usually a floating lunch. Worked fine. It's been my preference for a long time.

On my next trip, I'm planning to do another Painless Private. There's a very good chance I'll be really tired of cold cuts at the end of that trip, but I'll tell you what - I will enjoy every the scenery at every single meal and with every single flat-meat sandwich or wrap or whatever.

No - it's not all about the food, but sometimes having something a little different more often can make things even better.

Reactions: BenSlaughter

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got off a Grand Canyon trip and we literally ate the same "Lunch meat, cheese, and lettuce" sandwiches for every lunch the whole trip. I don't mind it occasionaly, but it got old pretty quick.

Curious if ya'll have any innovative ideas for lunch that doesn't involve having to get a stove out or excessive dish use.
[/QUOTE

Pasta Salad- fresh mozarella, and dried salami cubed, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives... vinegarette
Smoked Salmon Salad- chopped bell pepper, red onion, carrot, celery... mayo and lemon juice
Greek Lunch- spinach salad served along w/ humus and pita

·
Registered
2 Posts
While I generally agree that this is a better way to go the 1 issue is that everyone digs through every cooler every day for their lunches. You can do the "pull it in the morning" routine, but inevitably it seems that the cooler kids go up at noon. It's not so bad on a short trip.
Still, I generally lean toward the fend for yourself for lunch.

Cheers,
Dave
Yes, the BYO lunch makes cooler management trickier on the longer trips. We prep and pack any lunch wether it be group or BYO in the morning and pack in our soft coolers so we are not opening our big cooler in the heat of the day.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts