Mountain Buzz banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
The problem with that is there is always one person who eats WAY more than everyone else and will gobble up any leftovers...best to make a back up plan if you are trying for leftovers

·
Registered
78 Posts
just a thought,
for a good lunch, you could always eat whatever is available and appreciate the F'n GRAND CANYON! Maybe your white privilege doesn't allow that, sorry. F'n rafters, what a shitty thread. I'm sorry your grand trip sucked so bad, remind me never to go with you mr. "this sunny day away from work on the river is great, but goddamn its ruined by my $40 socks, the cotton/poly blend is way off, and they don't match my oarlocks. This is the worst trip ever!" F'n people! am I right?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I now lean (and others on my trips are agreeing) that BYO lunches are the best...with one caveat...you pull over to eat. There are so many people that like breakfast and nonlunch or vice versa, that having everyone "just do lunch" (isn't that a dating site) works really well.

While I generally agree that this is a better way to go the 1 issue is that everyone digs through every cooler every day for their lunches. You can do the "pull it in the morning" routine, but inevitably it seems that the cooler kids go up at noon. It's not so bad on a short trip.
Still, I generally lean toward the fend for yourself for lunch.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
What you got stew

Usually towards the end of a trip you have a lot of left overs and misc meat, soup, veggies, etc., it's a good time to throw them all together in a stew, you would be surprised how good it tastes when you are hungry. Make sure you heat it up to kill all the bacteria potential. Prior to starting the meal I highly recommend each person take two shots of Mezcal (from Oaxaca Province) about 30 minutes before eating and don't forget to throw the worm into the "What you got Stew" for extra flavor. That way everyone can experience the special effects of the Agave Worm for an after dinner experience that you will never forget. The worm is not there for looks. It is meant to be eaten. It is believed by many that within the worm lies the key, it will unlock the door to a world of wondrous experiences. I remember one client saying, "It was either too much Mezcal, or not quite enough, but that was the best dam Stew I ever did have on the River. The worm can set your spirit free in celebration and locks in the enchantment of the river. The worm holds different keys for different people, there is only one way to see what yours will open, try it.

I highly recommend this combo rather than using table salt prior to taking a shot of Mezcal with a lime chaser. Take 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp of smoked Anaheim Green Chile's dried and ground, and 1 smoked Agave Worm. Grind to an even consistency and take a tongue full in your mouth prior to hoisting a shot of Mescal. Look for this spice packet on the outside of a bottle of Monte Alban Mezcal, it put's those Tequila snobs to shame for less than $15.00 a bottle.

Please post your personal experience once you get that warm feeling deep into your bowels after no more or less than two shot's of that juice.

Warning, this method may result in pregnancy, crazy dancing, fit's of pleasure, and cause you to do things that you would never consider when of right mind.

"Dock lives"

·
Registered
20 Posts
just a thought,
for a good lunch, you could always eat whatever is available and appreciate the F'n GRAND CANYON! Maybe your white privilege doesn't allow that, sorry. F'n rafters, what a shitty thread. I'm sorry your grand trip sucked so bad, remind me never to go with you mr. "this sunny day away from work on the river is great, but goddamn its ruined by my $40 socks, the cotton/poly blend is way off, and they don't match my oarlocks. This is the worst trip ever!" F'n people! am I right?
Seriously? No, you're not right. This thread is spot on. Breakfast and dinner are easy to do right. Lunch is where it gets complicated. Especially if you don't want to pull over and cook. I'm with Mayhem, I get tired of the same lunch meat and cheese over and over. As soon as I saw his post I was hooked.

Totally going to do the cold pizza thing this year. I'm curious if you guys have ever frozen the slices and tried to save those for days 3,4 or 5? We bring fresh rolls or croissants and by 3 or 4, they're getting stale, so we usually switch to flat breads and tortillas. Those will keep for days longer though, so if we could put pizza in the middle, that would be a nice change.

This has already been mentioned, but I make two pasta salads each trip. I'll make them in the evening either while dinner is cooking or right after. One Mediterranean and one Italian. They're a nice change. We use paper bowls for that meal and then just put them in the ash bucket to be burned that evening.

As for T-douche, close your eyes, take yourself back to the river for a few moments, and come back nicer.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Wax Paper Squares

And for most of these lunches and in certain cases dinners, appetizers, breakfast, etc; please take WPS's(wax paper squares). These squares are about 1'x1', semi-fluid impermeable and for very little money you can buy 500 to a 1000 of them. I get mine at Costco.

Owners manual.... you grab one square and build your rollup or sandwich on it. Then, you containerize your lunch inside the square while eating your roll-up or sandwich or whatever. Then when done, discard the WPS and residues. But, between us, I like to slurp off the residues.

It is amazing how much less organic litter a group leaves behind on a beach when they use WPS's. If every group used them there would be far fewer ants, which bring the mice, which bring the rattlesnakes to popular lunch stops and campsites.

If I were the NPS I'd require them but I'm sure someone is going to have something to say about that idea, such as, just what we need, the NPS ruining our trips with their over bearing regulations. Another response has been "wastefulness" but that same person might think nothing of opening a dozen cans to prepare a meal. Just saying.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
One of my best selling lunches are roll-ups made from imitation crab meat or deboned rotisserie chicken(both available from Costco).

At home I finely dice the meat and add water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, straw mushrooms and similar oriental flair such as diced baby corn, canned bean-sprouts etc. Stir and bag and possibly freeze depending on the day it will be served.

On the river this mix is served in flour torts with garnishes added such as crispy noodles, sesame seeds, cashews, peanuts, wasabi peas(or paste) and optional liquids such as mayo, peanut sauce, hoisin sauce. Freshly diced celery/scallions are also nice spicer-upper.

This lunch is named, Oriental Roll-ups.

Now for people who don't like tuna or chicken salad they'll likely think this lunch is a loser but so far no one has turned this lunch down(well who knows what happens when my back is turned)(except for non-carnivores who might like a sans-meat version).

Don't forget your WPS's(wax paper squares) for this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tabouleh Salad

I love tabouleh salad you can make a huge batch it can handle sketch refrigeration and is good as a side with dinner or lunch. can be served in your universal mug. cucumber, tomato, wheatberry, parsley, olive oil and lemon juice

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not coming my trips

just a thought,
Mental note to self: T-Boss from Colorado

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
If only we could delete posts and moments made under influence of passing thoughts. I'm sure this is the case. None of us would likely have friends if not for forgive and forget and remembering better times. Forums(written words) are shamefully very unforgiving. Sorry to stand on a soap box.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think the SJW’s need to stay off the rivers and stay with in their safe spaces with crayons and coloring books. The real world is scary place for some.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Maybe it is a world dominated by trump type trolls?

I believe in being a SJW but perhaps I misinterpret some one with an avatar "panamared"; potentially implying someone under the influence of excessive indulgence not to be considered of social consideration, value or potential friendship.

I'm at lose for words for "red neck" types.

Your potential friend,
Ron

·
Registered
46 Posts
Frozen peas 10oz pkg,
frozen corn 10oz pkg
sundried tomatoes small pkg 2oz
diced red onion to taste
raw cashews chopped 1/4-1/2 cup
minced garlic 1-2 cloves(to taste I like garlic)
greek salad dressing enough to coat everything lightly about 1/2 cup.
easily adjustable for the size of group. I use it for late trip lunches from the coffin depending on when you open it.

You can make it up the night before or at breakfast and keep it in the cooler for lunch.
serve it in a pita or a bowl. serves 4-6 depending on appetites. I like to make it the night before and let the flavors mingle a bit but it always depends on time. It's usually a crowd pleaser and rarely are there leftovers.

Variations add foil pack tuna or salmon scallions are a nice touch early in the trip for color.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Our group never does "Group Lunches". We just pull over and everyone does their own thing (lots of sharing can/does occur). We used to do Group Breakfast/Dinners. We are moving away from Group Breakfast and only doing Group Dinners now.

I also just got off the Grand. Since it was just me on my boat (no wife/kids) here is how I setup my lunches:

• Order two large pizzas the night before I leave. Put two slices in a vacuum seal. Throw them in the freezer. Good for breakfast or lunch.
  • Always have some bagels, cream cheese, and smoked salmon.
  • Epic bacon/boar bars and hard boiled eggs (think bacon and eggs for lunch)
  • Apples and bag of baby carrots.

These have been my staples when I run the rivers without the family. The primary reason is they all pack flat (except the apples), can be premade and vacuum sealed, and produce very little trash. My wife handles lunches when she joins.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Italian tuna wraps are easy and okay to prepare the night before. It will stay fresh and safe to eat for more than one day if always kept in a cooler.

Italian tuna wrap
StarKist Chunk Light Tuna in Water two - 6.4 oz Pouches drained
2-3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, shredded
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1red or yellow or orange or (blah) green bell pepper, diced (about 1/2 cup)
sliced black olives 1/2 cup
Kens steak house "Italian with Aged Romano" enough to fully moisten tuna and veggies.
Store in zip lock until ready to do a wrap. Spoon on tortilla with a shredded bed of lettuce or cabbage (optional, stored in a separate zip lock) and eat.

Makes 4 nice sized Flour tortillas wraps

41 - 60 of 73 Posts