Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off a Grand Canyon trip and we literally ate the same "Lunch meat, cheese, and lettuce" sandwiches for every lunch the whole trip. I don't mind it occasionaly, but it got old pretty quick.

Curious if ya'll have any innovative ideas for lunch that doesn't involve having to get a stove out or excessive dish use.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Taco salad with Costco chicken is a fav. You can also do tostadas with a can of refried beans and some basic fixings. If you boil the noodles the night before you can make a pretty awesome pasta salad with a bit of chopping and a bottle of Italian dressing.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
BENT BEARD
13 Posts
We grill portabellas with Red and yellow peppers the night before. A little cream cheese with the fixings in a wrap or tortilla. Wrap in foil and throw in your day cooler for the next days lunch.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Lettuce wraps. Cheese, Toby's, tomatoes, tuna in foil packet and some mustard. Also I really like Costcos premade pulled pork. Some buns, slaw in a bag and chips and you're living.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've had good success with sticking with sandwiches, but adding in chicken and tuna salad (handy because you can get the meat in foil packs that don't need to stay cold), mixing it at breakfast. It only adds a bowl and a few utensils to the lunch set up and clean up. It also adds variety to flat meat (love that term) sandwiches to accessorize a lot, having some combination of humus, olives, pickles, roasted peppers, PB&J, Cholula, Sriratcha, chips, etc at each lunch (less complicated than it sounds).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Chicken or tuna salads. They can be wrapped up or not. I'm a chef so they're not your average Safeway salads. Peanut butter and jelly are staples. I usually have some "gourmet" condiments that will at least make your flatmeat more interesting. Guacamole or hummus are nice additions too.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Notice that paulster and I have similar menus. Time for a river trip cook-off!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Smoke some pulled pork at home (or buy some from a good barbecue place), bring some kings hawaiian rolls and coleslaw, a little good barbecue sauce and you've good a crowd favorite without much work and dishes on the river. Or you can have pulled pork sandwiches for dinner and leftover sandwiches the next day.

·
Registered
328 Posts
How about leftovers from a previous meal? Obviously there needs to be enough and handled (cooled) properly to minimize the risk of a food born illness. The last thing you want is an outbreak of salmonella half way down a wilderness canyon.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be honest.... Tuna Salad, and to a lesser degree Chicken but still not great, turns my stomach and I'd rather go without then eat that. Personal preference though.

I really like the Pulled Pork idea...might do that the next time I'm responsible for a lunch. I've thought about Taco's as well...might have to do that. I had my first "walking taco" (taco fixings poured into a individual size Dorito bag) on a Yampa trip recently and that might work for a lunch. Better warm, but would probably still be good cold.

We did BLT's one day on my grand trip. We tried to make it a bit new towards the end with different sauces and mustards, but at the end of the day it was still pretty much the same meal.

I do like the Cheese, Meats, and veggie platter idea too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wow! Lunch IN the Dorito bags! Love cutting down lunch dishes and there are so many options. What can I pour over a bag of fritos? Wavy lays casserole bags? Damn!

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts
I always make a big batch of thai peanut noodle salad for day one lunch. With mostly canned ingredients it would be great for any time on a longer trip.

Besides the rice noodle stick it has snow peas, canned baby corns, little mushrooms, bamboo shoots etc. You could easily add canned chicken for more protein. I am with you on the tuna salad thing. Eat that for lunch and every hard oar stroke the rest of the day you will be tasting it.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow! Lunch IN the Dorito bags! Love cutting down lunch dishes and there are so many options. What can I pour over a bag of fritos? Wavy lays casserole bags? Damn!
I know right?

I tried them with Doritos and Cheetos...both great. I'm sure Frito's would be awesome too.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Pasta salads have been a big hit. I mix it the night before in a big ziplock and distribute in paper bowls at lunch. I add some ham, green pepper garbanzo beans, salami, provolone & Romano cheese etc. to tiny shell pasta and add some Newman's Italian dressing. Kept overnight in the cooler it's a cold lunchtime treat.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I prefer everybody brings their own lunch trips. I pack in my day cooler fruit, nuts chocolate, crackers and great cheeses. A summer sausage, smoked beef tenderloin and I'm set. Never cared about pulling over for lunch, much prefer to enjoy snacking in a slow section and enjoying the peace and the scenery as I float by.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I prefer everybody brings their own lunch trips. I pack in my day cooler fruit, nuts chocolate, crackers and great cheeses. A summer sausage, smoked beef tenderloin and I'm set. Never cared about pulling over for lunch, much prefer to enjoy snacking in a slow section and enjoying the peace and the scenery as I float by.
I agree on that...but its not always my decision and sometimes TL's like group lunches. I prefer the floating lunch too, but some people really love stopping and putting a full spread out for some reason.

If its BYO I'll usually get a large pack of Salami and some cheese, and then some snack foods and kinda just graze when I'm hungry. At home, I'm kind of a one meal a day kinda guy so it can be weird for me on river trips where I get 3 square meals a day. I do like to cook though...so I enjoy that aspect.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I have a friend or two that smoke salmon and other meats and then vacuum pack them. Made for several great lunch stops on Deso last year. Cut open a vacuumed packed smoke salmon and hand out the pieces to put on crackers or bagels. Smoked sausage, cheese and crackers are another favorite.

Another idea is to mix a can of refried beans with a can of diced chili's and some chopped onions and put them into a large zip lock bag. An hour or so before lunch stop, put the bag in a black bag and lay it in the sun. At lunch you take your warm bean mix and squirt it out on a tortilla with cheese and salsa.....maybe some lettuce too. Add chips and salsa and a margarita......

1 - 20 of 73 Posts