Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Snow fall was less this year but didn't the the powers that be let a out bunch of water early. Now we are facing low levels AGAIN .I usually come out every year but this year most of my friends went east instead coming here . I am again going to leave early if the flow goes below 800. after the 7th of july . I am really disappointed and I may not come back next year .
The people here are fantastic and the business bend over back wards to help .
The management of this river may really need some over haul

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Hey Ranchman,

I feel your pain. Send the manager a note about your experience. The person responsible to write to...

God
ATTN: Rockies Precipitation
P.O. Box 777
Heaven, Universe

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's obvious that you have a comprehensive understanding of the complexities of the water situation here in Colorado. I applaud you for dedicating what must to thousands of hours to research and fact finding. If only the rest of our great state had such compassion and enlightenment regarding our most precious resource. Kudos!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I know the Snow fall was less this year but didn't the the powers that be let a out bunch of water early. Now we are facing low levels AGAIN .I usually come out every year but this year most of my friends went east instead coming here . I am again going to leave early if the flow goes below 800. after the 7th of july . I am really disappointed and I may not come back next year .
The people here are fantastic and the business bend over back wards to help .
The management of this river may really need some over haul
No. We had micro levels before the melt started. And if anything the rio was lower than it could have been (can't call it natural) during at least part of the melt. There was more water in Lake Creek than in the Ark for a while. Reservoirs are fuller than they have been in 2 years. Augmentation starts 7/1, I think. There are a ton of variables and factors and satisfying rafters from out of state is only one of them. Personally, I am psyched that we saw as high a peak as we did and now we'll have water enough to augment. How much remains to be seen but your post will have zero influence now and in the future.

·
Registered
774 Posts
They did not move water this winter. The flow program on the Ark doesn't start until after July 1.

Phil beat me to it, what he said.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys Just for the record I really like colo and the people are great I just read early in the year on the buzz about excess water being released and boaters complaing about management . Now I see what they were talking about
Did not mean to demean any one

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hey Ranchman,

I feel your pain. Send the manager a note about your experience. The person responsible to write to...

God
ATTN: Rockies Precipitation
P.O. Box 777
Heaven, Universe
The current administration will claim..."they knew nothing about it and had no idea anything was amiss"...."but it's unacceptable and they'll look into it".

One side will say it's a "scandal" while the other will claim "it's a waste of tax payer dollars to investigate".

All the while, the appointed secretary (in this case Mother Nature) will take all the heat (no pun intended). It's okay though because once she gets canned she'll be replaced with an even more inept and corrupt alternative.

While everyone is distracted with this scandal, the current administration will allow a new measure to pass through that'll wipe out your forests with fire.

Its best just to bury your head in sand.....

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
What is "the flow program"? Do they up the flows?
From 7/1 to 8/15? they augment the level with a goal of 600 at Wellsville. The available water this year suggests that they won't be able to hold that level but there is water being stored in the reservoirs for that purpose. Please correct this if I got something wrong...

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hey guys Just for the record I really like colo and the people are great I just read early in the year on the buzz about excess water being released and boaters complaing about management . Now I see what they were talking about
Did not mean to demean any one
At the start of 2012 they moved a lot of water before knowing it wouldn't snow for the rest of winter and there was a lot of complaining. When the Ark peaks in Jan/Feb because they're moving water then it's a drought and it's under 400 all summer it's hard not to complain. This year there wasn't excess water in the reservoirs so they weren't moving what wasn't there. I don't think you were demeaning anyone, just need to know that the voluntary flow program doesn't start until July.

The flow program is the Voluntary Flow Program. They have 35,000 AF of water to augment flows for recreation. They usually try to keep the river somewhere around 800 cfs at Wellsville. Lmyers or RDNEK know the details better than I do and I'm sure will correct if I'm wrong but I think that's the gist of it.

Phil got me while I was typing again.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The flow program is the Voluntary Flow Program. They have 35,000 AF of water to augment flows for recreation.
I don't think the people in the Roaring Fork watershed consider it a "voluntary" flow program. I think we'd rather keep our water on our side of the divide.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I don't think the people in the Roaring Fork watershed consider it a "voluntary" flow program. I think we'd rather keep our water on our side of the divide.
I'm pretty sure your water is pumped out of the bottom of Twin Lakes Reservoir and never touches the Ark.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts