Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I bought the NRS Co-Pilot knife. I ran 2 sections fine & on my 3rd run when I took out I noticed my knife was gone. I had it mounted horizontally on my Astral 300.

Is this a fluke deal or is that knife release design flawed?

Anyone else experience this sort of deal? Sucks I paid $50 for a knife that I used once to open a beer for someone.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This happens a lot with river knives, especially rafting. You will see a lot of people who have thin stretchy cords tied through the handle of the knife with a loop that slips around the tip of the sheith.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Some of those sheaths are cretainly better than others. happens alot being pulled back in and climbing back into rafts. That surface of your pfd not a great place. (if thats where it was...) Have had mine on my shoulder strap for 20 years no problem

·
Registered
377 Posts
I lost my Gerber river knife of 15 years last year scouting Castle Creek, and I had the thin bungy cord on it. I think the thick brush popped it off of me. I carried it handle down with the bungy over the tip.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have a gerber knife and I just installed it onto it's third PFD. I would say I have had the knife for 14-15 years with out a problem. I even have it mounted vertically to make it easy to reach with either hand. So either you did not have the knife secured properly, or the design does not hold securely enough. I would keep that in mind when looking for a replacement. Nothing would be worse then needing the knife and reaching for it only to find it gone!

·
Super Moderator
2,873 Posts
I lost my Gerber river knife of 15 years last year scouting Castle Creek, and I had the thin bungy cord on it. I think the thick brush popped it off of me. I carried it handle down with the bungy over the tip.
Ditto that setup for 18 years now after losing two knives my first year of guiding I came up with that and haven't lost one.

Several times I have heard clunking or felt something funny and looked down to see the knife still in sheath but dangling a bit. Thank God for small bungy cord.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If people lose them so easily why doesn't a company make them a little harder to get off. Maybe a 3 point release system. Ya its a little more difficult to get it off but at least you know when you need it its still on your vest.

I personally don't like the idea of me rolling, accidently releasing my knife & now its held on by a tether as I finish a rapid. One thing I know is I won't buy another NRS knife. I need to see a Gerber in person but I am leaning toward that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The teather just keeps it in the sheith. If the knife is far enough out to cut anything then the bungie has to have come off. You just slip the loop over the top of the sheith to take it out.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I know a lot of people who wrap a rubber band around it. Emergency situation, the band will snap, otherwise, it is a backup for the sheath locking it in.

Check out the Bear Claw too. Heard a lot of good things, and there was a post on here by a guy who thinks he would be dead if not for its design.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I do the rubber band trick and also attach the sheath on my vest so the handle is up--that way gravity isn't working against me--and it still seems readily available (Bearclaw on an X-tract).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I lost 2 Gerber's (River Shorty I think they were) before I bought a Benchmade with a thumb latch. I also bought one of those key rings that have two loops (one on each end) and a push-button connection in the center for seperating keys...attached one end to the knife and one to the sheath. That was about 5 years ago. Seems to work well.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have a gerber knife and I just installed it onto it's third PFD. I would say I have had the knife for 14-15 years with out a problem. I even have it mounted vertically to make it easy to reach with either hand. So either you did not have the knife secured properly, or the design does not hold securely enough. I would keep that in mind when looking for a replacement. Nothing would be worse then needing the knife and reaching for it only to find it gone!
I agree. The knife was one of the old stainless ones with no plastic on the handle and a 1/2 serrated blade on one side. You know the model I'm sure. I cannot imagine it coming loose accidentally since the release is recessed, but I'd know if it was dangling on the cord. Either way, I do not have it anymore. I'll be sure to check the retaining system more frequently on my replacement knife

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes they can fall out at inoportune times!

Per my recent Animas river strainer survival story: The guide that swam across the river to help me had his knife fall out of it's pfd sheath when swiming. I believe it was mounted handle down.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I checked out an NRS Pilot in the store and thought it seemed to release way too easily...just lift up on the handle a little and it pops free.

I've had good luck with my Gerber river shorty...it may be ten years old. I have it mounted handle down. I've occasionally caught my paddle under it and it hasn't budged.

·
Registered
844 Posts
WE HAVE A WINNER!

I've had good luck with my Gerber river shorty...it may be ten years old. I have it mounted handle down. I've occasionally caught my paddle under it and it hasn't budged.
Hey, that's my knife buddy!:p

I have smacked it a million times when I am running my raft as a oar boat, kayaked with it for all these years and have never had a problem. No bungies, no rubber bands needed!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey, that's my knife buddy!:p

I have smacked it a million times when I am running my raft as a oar boat, kayaked with it for all these years and have never had a problem. No bungies, no rubber bands needed!
That's what I thought, until it was gone. My earlier version was very secure also, but somehow it disappeared even with a bungy. Checking your knife every time you put on your pfd would be my a advice.

·
Registered
206 Posts
lost my benchmade

I had a benchmade river knive for a long time. it had the thumb release too. i lost it jumping off of a cliff on the colorado. i've jumped off a lot of cliffs with that thing on and never had any problems. now i have looked at the new gerber rivermate with the rubber handle. i like the sheath's locking system. i want to hold the bear claw before i decide though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the bear claw and I love it. The only down side that I see is If I has to cut something with a pointed knife I would be F-ed big time. But other than that the feel in my big hands are great.
Any body likes the nrs pilot knife?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I cant imagine figuring this out while pinned underwater.
I've just got a regular rubber band, so there's nothing to figure out. Just pull hard and snap it. Shouldn't be an issue when you're all amped up on adrenaline in an emergency.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts