Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I think there is someone on here that might have the files stored... for the first time I ran the middle fork I punched in everything just using my GPS and the river guide.. took me about an hour... The nice thing is on a lot of GPS units you can set a proximity alarm.. So I had it set for an alarm to go off any time I approached one of the bigger rapids.. or so that you don't blow by camp.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Garmin units like the eTrex 20 or 30 are good for this (sure there are other models too). You can download Garmin Basecamp to your PC and create a trip with waypoints for campsites, rapids, river miles - whatever you like - and upload it to the GPS. Works pretty slick. I just put one together for Northgate Canyon a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of running it this spring at some point.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the proximity alert idea. I forgot to mention that I want to mark camps as well as rapids, but that is one of my concerns. I guess I can also mark the points of interest etc.

·
Registered
429 Posts
RiverMaps has a bunch of waypoints for different rivers you can download for free from their website:

GPS Waypoints

They coincide nicely with their guide books/maps as well.

·
Registered
578 Posts
We had a guy on our last Grand swear on a stack of bibles the approaching rapid was not House Rock. He was using a crappy e-trex and only took about 30" to right the flipped boat. The driver was a Grand rookie and was a little spooked the rest of the trip after a pretty good dunking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts