Mountain Buzz banner

River Etiquette ???

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  ColoradoBoy 
#1 ·
My ??? is what do you do when you are making your way down the river and you come upon a group of people fishing. Who has the right of way and how do you proceed thru the area???

#2 ·
There is no right of way in the sense that we usually observe it (upstream boater has right of way, larger craft have right of way over smaller, etc.)

The best thing to do with fishermen is to not spook the fish - if you do, they will be gone for a good long time. I usually let my boat just drift and stop paddling till I'm well past them. I've heard it both ways, but supposedly it's actually better to pass close to them to avoid messing up their chance of a catch. Someone who fishes should comment on that...

I rarely speak to fishermen. Most seem to value solitude in the wild - something most of us also enjoy, and I try to respect that with a simple nod. I don't get what they do, they don't get what I do, but we both love the river, so I just try to keep it chill.

FWIW

#3 ·
I've always been told that fishermen have the right of way and not to talk to them unless they talk to you. Usually a nod is good enough for them and as long as your not doing anything to spook the fish they seem like they don't mind boaters going by. I try to stay on the other side of the river from them as long as there is a channel to get through. With making an approach not to bother the fishermen I have never had any problems with them.

#4 ·
It is important to keep boater-fisherman relations as smooth as possible, especially since they have a lot more money than us (we dont want them lobbying to prevent our access on various rivers/runs).

To do this, stay as far away from them as possible while paddling (i mean floating) by, keep quiet, dont bump rocks near them or make thrashy paddle strokes etc, etc...

More than a few times I have gotten to the good playspot on the run to find someone fishing there. When this happens.....well, you gotta do what you came to do.... anyone got an opinion on that??

#5 ·
I do both. When rafting, I move as far away as possible and nod or give a friendly "Any luck?". Most fisherman are happy to brag if the day has been good. :)

As a fly-fisherman, it sucks to have a kayak or raft to go through. It can spook the fish for sure. But it's public land and as long as the people are cool when they go by and not splashing and having a water fight then I'll be totally friendly. Everyone has a right to be there.

#6 ·
bkp77 said:
I do both. When rafting, I move as far away as possible and nod or give a friendly "Any luck?". Most fisherman are happy to brag if the day has been good. :)

As a fly-fisherman, it sucks to have a kayak or raft to go through. It can spook the fish for sure. But it's public land and as long as the people are cool when they go by and not splashing and having a water fight then I'll be totally friendly. Everyone has a right to be there.
DIPLOMAT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.