Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i asked this question elsewhere and after 181 views and not a single response should i take it to mean that a 43 y/o man can wear a thong , have a stripper pole on his raft and a donkey show too and no one cares?

So what should a newb know so as to assimilate?

·
Registered
312 Posts
give fisherman plenty of space... I will usually go out of my way, to stay out of their way...

really the thing that annoys me is lines of people trying to take out... waiting for their turn to back their trailer down... and blocking the entire ramp.... then giving me dirty looks when I sneak my mini max out past them...

I get it you are patiently waiting for your turn to back your trailer down... but that doesn't mean I have to....

but yeah... the river is all about freedom to me... do whatever you want as long as its not negatively effecting other river users.. and most river folks have a good sense of humor... so if you got the balls for a thong go for it ( pun intended)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ramp hogs. Get in, get out, keep you poop in a pile and take up as little space as possible. Offer to help other folks as needed but always ask first.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't take up more space than is reasonable (at put in, take out, parking lot, small eddies at popular sites, camping etc).

Wear your thong at camp, not on the river. I don't need to see others' junk, I got my own

Respect the locals wherever you are, even the bat shit crazy ones.

Don't litter. ( includes human waste). Be a true steward of the river.

Don't assume that everyone knows how to properly use a Groover or clean a fire pan.

Always give kayakers a beer

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
346 Posts
First and foremost, respect the old timers and locals.

Don't be a hole hog at a surf spot.

Pick up ur trash. Move outta the way, don't block the access/takeout for " hours".

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
It's important for a newbie to be helpful, but please ask first. It's great when everyone pitches in to get things done, but if you touch my boat or my gear without asking first I will not be happy. If it's your first trip, ask the trip leader ahead of time about what you can bring/do/contribute. If you're a new boater, make sure you have your own safety, repair, and personal gear. Buy yourself a decent camp chair. Don't be the person who shows up for the trip with a cheap piece of junk, duct taped together chair that breaks at the first camp, then sits their butt in my chair every time I get up. Most of all, bring a good attitude. River life is all about "going with the flow" and enjoying your time with your friends in beautiful places. My motto is Psalm 118:24 - "This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it." Life is too short not to rejoice in it every day.

·
Registered
152 Posts
  • Loud late night partying guides at the put-in campground. (Its not always guides, but more often than not)
  • Passing me in whitewater
  • Sending a speeder out early or to pass us and grab the best camp
  • Nudes - especially when a group with kids is passing you or you are passing them.
  • Sober jerks
  • Drunken jerks
  • Rangers that act like entitled cops.
  • Takeout ramp A-holes, whether being discourteous by taking up too much space, or overreacting to any perceived slight (it seems like people can usually work their crap out at the put-in, but the fuses are much shorter at the take out ramp)
  • "Passengers" on a private trip who act like they're on a guided trip and don't do crap to help. Those that do more than their share get the re-invite.

·
addict
741 Posts
Rafter scum

Anyone who doesn't look upstream before peeling out of an eddy

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The obnoxiously loud vrrrrruummm of late night jackasses blowing up their boats, yelling their for more pbr"s and meth....

Ok, that's what was going thru my exhausted and hate filed attempt to sleep at more than one westy trip.

Fuck you whoever you are. You did this way more than once.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The obnoxiously loud vrrrrruummm of late night jackasses blowing up their boats, yelling their demands for more pbr"s and meth....

Ok, that's what was going thru my exhausted and hate filled mind as I was attempting to sleep at more than one westy trip.

Fuck you whoever you are. You did this way more than once

·
Registered
506 Posts
Boaters who sit in an eddy or on shore then decide to hurry and pull out right in front of you.
Boaters (usually kayakers) who tailgate in rapids.
Boaters who jam up rapids by stalling at the top.
Boats in a group who make there own schedule and think arriving an hour after the group to lunch, camp, etc. especially if they have key gear or could float by camp.
Lead boats that float past scheduled stops because they are too unaware of where they are.
People who need an hour more than the group to break down and pack there personal gear.
None of this stuff necessarily pisses me off but can be a frustration for sure. It is always about compromise when with a larger group.
Oh yeah, people who deal that it is ok to prepare food without washing their hands.

Jim

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bring your own chair! Mines dry and awesome and that's because proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance! Mind your dogs! I am a dog lover! Doesn't mean I wanna pick up your dog's poop after you left it at camp that morning. I raft with dogs and its great until your new lab puppy eats my new fly rod and reel. Then I am hungry for doggy tacos. It takes some effort in the morning to get off the beach. Get your PG in check and be helpful getting the group going. (EX: Fill everyones water bottles so the water jug can be stowed, don't wait to the last min to groove in the morning. Someone needs to stow that groover on their boat, help do breakfast dishes or pack the kitchen even if its not your "job", boil water for coffee and tea if your the first to rise even though you don't need it,... stuff like that) Be careful with your ropes. A deployed rope in the rio is a big deal. If your going to be a few minutes and you've got ropes thrown all over the place you better have a person up stream ready to warn other groups about what's around the corner. I hate ropes in the river. Scary stuff.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My kids talk........ALLOT, is that ok?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My kids talk........ALLOT, is that ok?
But my dogs are worse. I have a pair of coon hounds, when they sing...........well it's loud. Great protection against bears though. I'll leave them at home though, don't have room for their beer cooler.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Holebait

Rafts that blow through the centers of popular play features. Come on you know folks are playing in that one spot and you are still taking up the entire river.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rafts that blow through the centers of popular play features. Come on you know folks are playing in that one spot and you are still taking up the entire river.

Kayakers who hang out in popular play features all day and get pissed when they have to move out of the way for five seconds while I blow through in my raft. Come on you know folks are coming through and you are still taking up the entire river.

·
FISHTARD
74 Posts
Newb

As a newb:

I feel it is all common sense. Don't be an idiot... just give people their space. I really want to compare this thread to going through roundabouts during Xmas week in the mountains.... but I cant think of how.

Im not the best on the sticks, nor the worst. If I need time above a rapid: give it to me. If I am in your way, IM SO TERRIBLY SORRY, but Id rather be safe and inconvenience you for 5 minutes than flip n swim.

As a fisherman, Im booze cruising just as much as you are(or are not:cool:). But moving slower and normally along the bank. So don't crowd me.

Like I said, as a n00b, I feel like its mostly common sense. But then again theres not a lot of that out there. sooo.....

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Bring your own chair! Mines dry and awesome and that's because proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance! Mind your dogs! I am a dog lover! Doesn't mean I wanna pick up your dog's poop after you left it at camp that morning. I raft with dogs and its great until your new lab puppy eats my new fly rod and reel. Then I am hungry for doggy tacos. It takes some effort in the morning to get off the beach. Get your PG in check and be helpful getting the group going. (EX: Fill everyones water bottles so the water jug can be stowed, don't wait to the last min to groove in the morning. Someone needs to stow that groover on their boat, help do breakfast dishes or pack the kitchen even if its not your "job", boil water for coffee and tea if your the first to rise even though you don't need it,... stuff like that) Be careful with your ropes. A deployed rope in the rio is a big deal. If your going to be a few minutes and you've got ropes thrown all over the place you better have a person up stream ready to warn other groups about what's around the corner. I hate ropes in the river. Scary stuff.
People that merge several topics into one paragraph.
Especially when they're right on each topic.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Boaters who sit in an eddy or on shore then decide to hurry and pull out right in front of you.
Boaters (usually kayakers) who tailgate in rapids.
Boaters who jam up rapids by stalling at the top.
Boats in a group who make there own schedule and think arriving an hour after the group to lunch, camp, etc. especially if they have key gear or could float by camp.
Lead boats that float past scheduled stops because they are too unaware of where they are.
People who need an hour more than the group to break down and pack there personal gear.
None of this stuff necessarily pisses me off but can be a frustration for sure. It is always about compromise when with a larger group.
Oh yeah, people who deal that it is ok to prepare food without washing their hands.
Jim
Sort of outline form is so much better.
Sorta.

Still correct across the board.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts