Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for pictures of river dogs on boats, in the water, or relaxing in camp (no generic cute head-shots, please).

Ruby tested the new light cat frame today, with the D-deck rigged. I bumped a little sleeper in a flat stretch and she fell off headfirst— first time. Surprised us both.

On the D-deck, reporting for duty: navigation, sniffing, licking ears, whatever.

Ruby on watch. Note the relaxed attitude and faded PFD: she's a river vet for sure.

Water = happiness. On Deso last fall, in her element.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Oh no you didn't, a thread for dog pics, here's a few beginning with the dearly departed king of all river dogs Barkley Gallatin, then he and his protege Hanna Platte, queen river bitch and finally the new pup in training Percival Gunnison a.k.a. Percy, Sweat P, Mr. Peepers, P Funk, Pain in The Ass who has taken a liking to the boat as well as swam a mile of river behind me in my kayak this weekend, pretty flat water. So if he survives his first year on the river and his first camp trip with Kona he should be a good river dog also.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Kona

Since Class 3 mentioned Kona I figured I better post some pics. Unfortunately since I am at work these are the only pictures I have.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Shoot, I need to post photos from home, I think I've posted practically all I have at work. Wait, here's two, maybe not on the boat, but on pacos. And another of Hazel, almost the bowsprit

Attachments

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OarBM— is that spotted feller Wilson? Didn't you post a shot of him "hunkering down" as the boat hit some big stuff? Great shot.

Here are a couple more of Ruby on Deso last fall, doing her favorite thing in her favorite spot.

When she hears a rapid, she jumps up, ready for action. (Not yet.)

Mmmm— water's pretty flat, boss. You can handle it on your own.

(Watching a dog snooze makes me happy.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
how do get your dogs to chill on the raft? she loves to swim but freaks out once in the boat...even on flatwater.

any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Goodbye sweet girl.

Well, after my post a day or so ago, our girl declined rapidly last night. We had to put her to sleep today. We are all very sad...after 14 years of campsite guarding, bow riding, unconditional love and loyalty...the river won't be the same.

Treasure every moment you have.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Well, after my post a day or so ago, our girl declined rapidly last night. We had to put her to sleep today. We are all very sad...after 14 years of campsite guarding, bow riding, unconditional love and loyalty...the river won't be the same.

Treasure every moment you have.
Nothing makes me cry like losing a good friend. I'm so sorry, we are preparing for a similar situation someday in the future. Here's a photo of our girl, Gladys. 14, was once a river dog, last summer she was relegated to a PFD-lake-swimming dog, and even had to get hauled up on mom's lap for a rest. Oh how we love them, oh how they are angels. Gladys's nickname used to be "officer brown", now she is retired from her "patrol" duties, even though she doesn't know it.

Warm thoughts, and visions of lots of kisses and hugs.

About the scared dog. We traumatized Hazel, and when we got the pup, Lila the next year, we went real slow for both. Started with 2 lake days, just rowing around doing nothing. Learning to stay in the boat and not jump out until given permission. Then a flat water day, another flatwater day, and then on to class III. They both love Class III now, but we'll never risk anything high so as not to scare them. Lots of treats also, I think we gave dog cookies anytime we got by splashy water so Hazel would positively associate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Toni - so sorry to hear about your loss; it's never easy. 2 of our best buds have moved on to that great pasture in the sky, too. Its the unconditional love and simplicity of the relationship that makes it hurt so bad. You never seem to get over the loss, you just learn to manage without them.

ihowemt - thanks for the advice. our first and only attempt was on flatwater. i dont think she was scared as much as she was anxious and confused. she's a strong swimmer and knows how to read the water (its amazing how dogs learn that). we let her jump out to see what she would do and she swam right for shore. we had to eddy out to get her back in the boat. I'll try some treats but she loves swimming more than food so not sure which will win over!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
ihowemt - thanks for the advice. our first and only attempt was on flatwater. i dont think she was scared as much as she was anxious and confused. she's a strong swimmer and knows how to read the water (its amazing how dogs learn that). we let her jump out to see what she would do and she swam right for shore. we had to eddy out to get her back in the boat. I'll try some treats but she loves swimming more than food so not sure which will win over!
Our little Lila is a bird dog to the Nth degree. Our first day out it was slightly raining, and the swallows were everywhere!! She jumped out of the boat, and swam to the middle of the lake chasing them everywhere. She had that crazed look like she did not know who we were She had her pfd, so she was OK, but we still rowed out to get her back in the boat. That was a bit stressful, and we're always watching her closely when we see birds (which is all the time). We did lots of clicker training, and so we were able to use that to reinforce her paying attention to us, even if it was for only a split second. Sometimes we kicked up the quality of treats, hot dogs, chicken, turkey, cheese, and sometimes we'd plop one after another in her mouth until the bird was gone. Now she's 2 1/2 and still a pill, but mostly under control. Good luck, and may patience be with you :grin:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Toni- too bad. Sounds like she had a great, long life on the water.

Ruby was scared at first by rapids and wave-noise, but she settled down as her first season progressed and now she's dead keen– every time I get the boats out, she sticks to me like marine epoxy or jumps on the D-deck and roosts there, insistent.

Worst problem we've had with dog behavior is yelping, writhing, and scratching by a dog who wanted to leap off the boat for every duck, songbird, jumping fish, etc. Seemed like she didn't recognise the difference between the river and dirt: she'd try to run across the water and then acted surprised when she went under, snorted water, etc. Maybe you could train a dog like that to boat, but you'd want to wear chaps and a canvas shirt.

·
Registered
169 Posts
"Its the unconditional love and simplicity of the relationship that makes it hurt so bad. You never seem to get over the loss, you just learn to manage without them."

Thanks for all your thoughts. That is so true, coming home to no greeting today was heartbreaking. Thinking of taking her ashes on our Middle Fork trip.

Skeeter, we covered our dry box with foam so that she would have some grip. For her, the best thing was to have her own solid spot, she was never a fan of being on the floor. She also needed to be allowed to stand on all fours for balance in a rapid...claw marks will always keep the memory alive!

After a few swims in Sock it to me, we tried making sure there were dry bags rigged on the sides for a bit of a buffer. Never really needed a break in period, she took to it right away, and always got right back on after being tossed off. Though, as long as I was calm, she was calm :)

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
Teesha started as a kayak dog. She used to run down the banks of Boulder Creek and Waterton canyon my first few years boating. She'd swim a little, but never recklessly (like me). Although Boulder PD put an end to that activity with a dog at large ticket years ago, she took right to the raft when we got one.

I will miss her terribly. Thanks for the nice posts everyone.

I can only hope that her (future) successor is half as cool.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts