Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any first hand experience with this product? Not a lot of info out there. I've seen these on a couple of boats in the past. I'm not a real big fan of umbrellas on boats as I think they are more of a pain than they are worth. This product seems a bit different. They are pricey though!

Kyle

·
Registered
28 Posts
No link here but I assume your talking about something like this. These are bomber and the only way an umbrella is worth it. Pricy yes but next year you'll forget you ever spent the money, you'll be more comfortable, and your cooler ice will last your entire grand trip in July.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I can’t comment on them but I just rolled past 4-5 boats on Deso last week and they all had them. Every single one. May be worth the huge price tag...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I'll be damned - Paonia does it again.
I only wish they had a photo of the mounting bracket.
Looking forward to seeing someone weigh in on this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
These are tractor umbrellas. Easy to find with a google search or on ebay or amazon. Prices range from $115 to about $165.

PW

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a buddy who runs with one and loves it. Definitely holds up better than a traditional umbrella.
I do have to agree with CaverDan. Biminis are pretty sweet. I used to make fun of them a bit with my buddies but actually borrowed a 16' Rocky Mountain Raft from a buddy for a San Juan Trip and it was set up with a Bimini. I figured I would give it a whirl. I loved it. Definitely handles wind well, only took it down one day when it was nuking. I also rigged up my misters on the frame of the Bimini and left it there for the rest of the trip. Very Cooling.
My only complaint about Biminis....and Umbrellas is it is hard to see all of the Canyons when they are up. I found rowing backwards and standing up gave me the best view and the most shade, depending on direction. I will not make fun of Biminis anymore. However I am not going to rig one up for my Dory. Big Hat all the way there.
I mainly use umbrellas to keep my coolers in the shade at camp. My ice did amazing on the San Juan under the Bimini. Cocktail ice on day 10 in 100 degree heat thanks to shade and good coolers.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I like the quickness of an umbrella, the coverage of a bimini, and agree with Ron--the view from under a big hat.

Dories move so much in the water, I think I'd get motion sickness watching the view change from under a bimini...but like it on my raft.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Are you sitting on a flip seat?

I'm 6'-5" and wasn't hunched under a 54" high eBay bimini. Tons o' shade.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,239 Posts
I have had a tractor umbrella thats just like the River Buddy except it is a Kabota umbrella from Southwest Ag Supply in Durango a long ass time ago. It's seen a lot of river miles and still solid. I also have a bimini but I tend to prefer the umbrella for day trips. Tractor umbrellas (like the r River Buddy) dont turn inside out in the wind they spin backwards like a weather vane so they last way longer than beach type umbrellas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another option that we use is the Sportbrella XL. They’re bomber and have wings that you can strap down to the front/back or side to side to keep it stable and add more sun protection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bimini all the way - I should have done it years ago. Two clicks on the front strap buckles and it flops to the back and out of the way if needed. Won't run a river without it now. $100 on Amazon. Not bothered by wind. Soooo nice to sit in the shade.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My main complaint with bimini style shade is that it's not high enough, I get a neck ache hunching under it
I don't have a bimini (yet) but my buddy mounts his to an extra set of NRS oar towers. He gets an extra 10" or so. If I get one I'm going that route.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts