Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are gona be in south texas this chistmas, and thought about the Rio. I was wondering if there are realy "banditos" waiting to shoot at us from the top of the canyons like everyone tells me?

·
Registered
247 Posts
all is good, that indeed was a long time ago.

depends on your time in the area, as to what would be the best run, day run Vs. multi-day.

check out desertsportstx.com for good info on the area.

the riogrande village gauge is a good one to watch for the whole area.

OB~

·
Registered
536 Posts
doing runs like the Santa Elena Canyon...it's worth any slight risk, no doubt. the more frequent and real threat is break ins to the vehicles at the put in / take out while out floating. The put in for the santa elena is one of the bad ones and it's a good idea to park vehicles at the visitor center a few miles away or contact a shuttle service to drop you off and pick you up and leave your car at shuttle service place. not sure if rio grande adventures is still around for shuttles but they are good, if so. if not, the park service should be able to get you some shuttle info.

·
Registered
247 Posts
the put in for santa elana is NO ISSUE, as there is no overnight parking. Sante elena is indeed one of my favorites, but again, depends on time, craft of choice, and plan of action.

up canyon runs----desertsports, down canyon runs, check out stillwell ranch, or heath canyon. down canyon+ time+small craft= one of the best multi-day runs in the lower 48, its to bad that you can typically walk across most of it without getting the tops of your socks wet.

when I metion "small craft", I mean canoe.

OB~

·
Registered
614 Posts
The river peaked at 50,000 CFS three weeks ago and is down to 12,000 now. High flows are considered those above 5,000.

I'm planning a trip the second week of November and would welcome company.

I've been to Big Bend a few times and have done one Lower Canyons trip.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the invite. I wont be able to make that kind of a trip till christmas time when the vacation time is plentiful. I'd love to go with another boater or two,(strength in numbers), anybody planin a trip around that time, I'm in!

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
I was just asking about Big Bend at Xmas the other day. My mom wants to do the Lower, lower Colorado (with Devil's Elbow section) but I've been leaning more toward Big Bend. I have about 3 weeks off around Xmas and would love to plan a trip with some other boaters. The more, the merrier...

Thanks for the invite. I wont be able to make that kind of a trip till christmas time when the vacation time is plentiful. I'd love to go with another boater or two,(strength in numbers), anybody planin a trip around that time, I'm in!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I'm interesed now,i'll start looking at the calender and making plans. think there will be water enuff for the raft by then?

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
I don't know if there will be enough water, but it sounds like it's running high this year.

·
Registered
25 Posts
rio bravo

i just returned from lower canyons of el rio grande. had about 20,000cfs for the trip. lots of water now but doubtful by christmas. be interesting to see what the flood event has done to low water channel. a canoe/small boat trip during christmas break sounds great.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
Do you think a 13 1/2 ft raft is too big?

i just returned from lower canyons of el rio grande. had about 20,000cfs for the trip. lots of water now but doubtful by christmas. be interesting to see what the flood event has done to low water channel. a canoe/small boat trip during christmas break sounds great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
it really just depends on river levels at that time. it could be just enough to float you.....but you just may be setting yourself up for a long portage in some of the rockier sections further in the canyons. the river is normally quite low that time of year. check out link. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/dv/?...08375300&set_logscale_y=1&begin_date=20071011
but who knows, with another storm impacting the sierra madres in mexico, releases may continue.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
I am looking at doing Mariscal and possibly Boquillas canyons at Xmas time. Historical flows seem to be under 500, but I can't find a minimum recommended flow. Any ideas? I'm also posting this on the texas rafters' forum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
rio is running 13+ ft at boquillas put in now. best guess on good water level for small rafts is down to about 3 ft. possibly a little lower but you could be dragging over sand/gravel bars.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts