Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been plannin our rio grande trip over the holiday break and am undecided on a shuttle provider. Any opinions or experiences?

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
I am actually doing the same thing and looking for the same thing. I'm going to make some phone calls on Monday to some outfitters down there, but suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
614 Posts
You guys are not being very specific about where you are wanting to go, but this time of year I'll assume you are interested in the Big Bend, TX stretches. The RG is the second longest river in the US.

There are three outfitters in Terlingua for runs in the Park: Far Flung, Desert Sports, and I can't remember the third. For the Lower Canyons run contact Ted Thayer in Marathon: 432-386-2928

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
I'm planning to do Mariscal, San Vicente and Hot Springs Canyons from the 23rd-the 28th of December. I've been watching the gauges and I'm starting to be concerned about there being enough water. For one thing, I'm not sure which gauge is more relevant.
RG at Castolon (near my putin) is at 1030; RG at Rio Grande Village (the takeout) is at 2040.
Does anyone know, A. why there's a 1000 cfs difference and B. which gauge would be more relevant? Even with the few tributaries, this seems like a big difference in 28 miles.

Also, does anyone want to come along?

·
Registered
614 Posts
The USGS gages have been messed up since the September flood.

Check flows on the Park's report here: Big Bend National Park - Daily Report (U.S. National Park Service)

There are graphs in CMS here: U.S. Internation Boundary & Water Commission

The water is low and continues to drop. Based on experience with Lower Canyon rapids, you'll be pushing over rocks in Mariscal at the two named rapids. The rest of the river will be boatable, but slow with 200 CFS.

We don't leave any water in the river and the Mexicans are following our example.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
:(Thanks for the info- it's not looking good.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Flows last year for December were 300 CFS. September and October last year had good water and flooding this year. Canoes are generally the best way to go.

·
Registered
247 Posts
use the RG gauge regardless of your putin/takeout. I have boated eveything down there several times, and have never taken a raft. Its always been a canoe trip. August is monsoon season, but hotter than hell of course. basically, you need your gear loaded, and need to be able to GO NOW, when it rains in Northern Mexico for it to be a viable raft trip.

colorado canyon has the best gradient/current of anything out there, and i would suggest combining colorado canyon/santa elena canyon into a 5-6 day trip. have fun

OB~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts