Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-

I have been eyeing a trip to float lower taos box this weekend. I have heard that the powers that be begin pulling water for irrigation on April 1st. So far, no change in the gauges. Does anyone have some local, up to date info on whether or not flows will hold enough to get a run in on this Sunday, 4/3/16? Our group would be looking to take a raft and a few kayaks down.

If its on and you want to join let me know too.

Thanks

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was thinking of heading that way this weekend too. I didn't know about the possibility of water getting pulled. I too would love to hear from a local if there will be less water soon...

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Yep, watch the Lobatos gauge. I would be willing to bet it will drop off in the next 24 hrs... There is a chance you might still be able to catch the lower Box tomorrow before the reduction in flow works it's way downstream.

·
Registered
579 Posts
we are elfin the poudre and camping up there if anyone wants to join.

we figure on elfin lower narrows and floating filter plant.

·
Registered
422 Posts
We went for it and had an awesome weekend in Taos! 2 laps on the racecourse Saturday, and a Lower Box Sunday. Many of us, myself included hadn't paddled here. Shout out to the Taos Diner for breakfast and Orlando's for dinner! Awesome grub! Was hoping to sneak in a UTB also, but the graph doesn't look good.

How far down will the diversion take the flows?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
We went for it and had an awesome weekend in Taos! 2 laps on the racecourse Saturday, and a Lower Box Sunday. Many of us, myself included hadn't paddled here. Shout out to the Taos Diner for breakfast and Orlando's for dinner! Awesome grub! Was hoping to sneak in a UTB also, but the graph doesn't look good.

How far down will the diversion take the flows?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
That's great to hear! It doesn't always work out so well. It looks like they took it down in 2 stages instead of just one, giving a better opportunity to catch weekend flows.

How low it drops will depend on Northern New Mexico early season runoff, but I would expect to see something in the 400 range on the Racecourse soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's great to hear! It doesn't always work out so well. It looks like they took it down in 2 stages instead of just one, giving a better opportunity to catch weekend flows.

How low it drops will depend on Northern New Mexico early season runoff, but I would expect to see something in the 400 range on the Racecourse soon.
So the actual flow in the lower box/pilar is the junction bridge gauge minus the canal gauge near del norte??

Sorry for the noob question.. Arkansas boater here looking to do a Memorial Day weekend trip out there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
So the actual flow in the lower box/pilar is the junction bridge gauge minus the canal gauge near del norte??

Sorry for the noob question.. Arkansas boater here looking to do a Memorial Day weekend trip out there.

No. Those guages are very far apart.
The LTB level is Taos Junction Bridge minus Rio Pueblo De Taos

·
Registered
133 Posts
Racecourse is the Taos Junction Bridge Gauge.
The rio Pueblo de Taos confluences right above that gauge. So that's good for the RC, but not the LTB

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Ah, I see where my confusion has come from. The site I use doesn't list the TJB gauge, so I have been looking at the readings @ Cerro and @ Embudo.....

Division

·
Registered
133 Posts
If memory serves, Cerro Gauge is about 12 hours north of TJB. The CO DWR Lobatos guage is about 24 hours north.
That way, you can know the morning before and the evening before a pulse hits the LTB and racecourse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts