Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, my son Riley has been having a breakthrough season. Not that he was slacking in previous years but he has really become a solid kayaker, easily surpassing his old man in about every aspect I know how to measure.

It will not be long before he wants to do the runs that I think are over my head.

Friday and Saturday we got on the Big South of the Poudre.

I'll write more in a bit, but here is his quick edit from the weekend:

https://vimeo.com/133917971

Big thanks to KSC and Nathan for generally being great to paddle with and having his back as well as taking a few photos and vids.

He only portaged Fantasy Flight, Cool World, and double trouble. Oh and Meltdown, but only Forrest runs that one, so I wasn't even going to count it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
For reasons way above my tehnical level of expertise, when viewed from my I phone, the embedded video is of the Big Bang group of asian rapsters. When viewed from a safari browser on my laptop, the correct video appears.

Anyway he is so stoked to have gotten in there; he really did great.

Riley is thirteen, and is likely the youngest Big South decsender by 3-4 years of age.

Those that know us, know that he never pushes his limits, and that certainly don't push him to do so either. He works his way up to stuff and stays quite safely under his skill set. He has always been cautious about anything he undertakes, from skiing to mountain biking to paddling, but once he has the skills he likes to unleash them. The grin on his face below Starter Fluid and again below the super spout in Slideways were priceless.

I suspect we may be the only father and son team to have done this, but have no idea if that's true. Regardless, I am quite proud of him and look forward to many more whitewater adventures.

His play boating is off the hook, if you haven't had a chance to see that. He's working on a play boating edit, but it may be a while before that one's out. He rushed this Big South edit to have done before an upcoming trip east.

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts
This is great to see. Awesome, Riles!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Awesome! First day on big south is fantastic. Was really hoping to see some sort of paddle twirling freewheel off double trouble, but I guess we will have to wait til 18 for that.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Awesome not only that he is running at his age, but also that he is running really good lines- and learning how to make good decisions from the elders (and boof over their empty boats when they swim).

·
Registered
688 Posts
Way to rock it, both of you!
I can't wait to start taking my boy (and now 1 week old daughter) on adventures when they get older. You two are setting the bar pretty high though.
-d

·
Registered
501 Posts
Congrats Riley!
I’ve never boated it low. It is interesting to see your footage. Although a Go Pro doesn’t quite provide justice for the welcoming grandeur of that place. (But it does show me what has practically crippled me for life on several high water pitons in Pin Cushion.) You must be almost overwhelmed with delight to now know the serenity and fulfillment that kayaking can provide. Your skill level is a testament to having started young, becoming educated and prepared, and having a reliable crew to approach each challenge with greater confidence. I hope you always will. Did you see any moose? I hope so. I’ve probably seen more than a dozen there over my infrequent trips down. Including two swimming across powerful whitewater that was likely over eight feet deep once. The Big South is a truly amazing place. Remember to always give it (and all class IV, V, V+, and VI) strong respect, though. You’re awesome! Strong work and congrats.
-Ken

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the kind words. I've had a few friends ask me if I find it terrifying that he runs hard whitewater, and I can honestly say that it does not. He really had a great time in there and was not in any way in over his head.

Ken, we did see a moose at startlingly close, bank side proximity.

The edit is of course all his as well.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Right on! Seeing moose there is icing on the cake. It is such an awesome place. You've done well, Dave. Congrats to you and Riley for having achieved the ability to see and experience that place together.

Now for a different flavor ... might you guys like to go to the UTB if it holds above 400 (and hopefully rises)? I could maybe go Saturday, Sunday, or Monday.

Ken

·
Registered
215 Posts
That is a great video.

As a dad with four sons, I totally get what a proud moment it is when they really catch onto something. What great memories both of you will have of this season.

Cheers to Dave for putting in the time, patience and incredible effort it takes to teach a kid anything. Especially to that level.

·
KB
24 Posts
Nice video and solid boating Riley! There is no way that I am ever, ever, ever going down the Big South. The moose would be the least of my worries.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the invite Ken. Riley is with my mom back east for another week., so we are empty nesting it.

Back to kayaking next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts