Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it feels like the right to float issue has been resolved, with Shaw giving the raft companies in Gunnison permission to float. Lets not forget that "his river" is not the only place in the state that we have these issues. Like outbackjack has said the bill may be dead but the issue is not. The Harmels boys are now the problem in the Gunnison area. Shaw gives permission then the harmels boys deny permission. Something doesn't seem right! WE NEED TO KEEP THE PRESSURE ON THE MIDDLE TAYLOR! If you are a private boater and are in or live in the area keep floating through the middle. These landowners are afraid of us not the commercail boys.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
what is this about Harmel's shutting down permission now? I hadnt heard of this....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
harmels has not yet done this, but are threating to. Marco i read the letter also, but if harmels sues it also could be precedent setting right? privates are what the landowners are afraid of we need to keep floating on our rivers to let them know we are not going away!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I spoke with the sheriff today, he will ticket portaging, although he feels that the issue should be settled in court. I have floated the middle a few times this spring, I heard that shaw cleaned out the trees on the right side of the bridge, will verify tomorrow. I think we should all thank mr. shaw, for clearing out the bridgeand building excellent fish habitat! The best way I know of to show our appreciation is to float and fish down the river!! It is very easy to catch eddies and fish without touching a rock or anchoring, I even sat in an eddie the other day for 20 miniutes without touching anything! Anyone interested in floating with me, let me know on this forum. A larger oar rig will have trouble getting under the bridge, however , there are many smaller rigs or even paddle rafts, which fit under the bridge quite nicely. As High water ebbs, come on down to the Taylor!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
It was good to see Jack, Riot, and some other folks floating the middle these last couple weeks. I plan to start floating it again soon.

Lets make sure that Shaw and the Robberts brothers (the Harmel's boys) do not forget that we all own the river. The private boaters have the power to show everyone that we are not scared of them or their high priced lawyers and lobbyist.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like the Taylor is all clear again for boating, glad that Lewis came to his senses. I heard the Harmels boys would not do anything about the "Onesys and twosys" coming through. Glad to know one of my favorite after work runs still is!

·
Registered
31 Posts
While I am glad that the middle is "open," lets not forget that this fight is not over. The tentative "permission" so graciously granted by a few jerks who tried to take away our rivers just months ago does not constitute a solution. The legislature failed us as boaters and as shared owners of Colorado's waterways.

Because of the politicians lack of positive action on 1188, we the boating community need to continue the fight by all means necessary. This should include floating the middle or any other stretch of river that flows through private property. We also need to continue to fight the political battle and work to clarify the law and protect the rights which we have enjoyed for generations.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Looks like the Taylor is all clear again for boating, glad that Lewis came to his senses. I heard the Harmels boys would not do anything about the "Onesys and twosys" coming through. Glad to know one of my favorite after work runs still is!
if the middle is one of your favorite runs then you need to check out the stretch just upstream called the "upper". lots of fun and no bullshit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
if the middle is one of your favorite runs then you need to check out the stretch just upstream called the "upper". lots of fun and no bullshit.

As far as Im concerned, the upper Taylor includes the middle. Adds as nice, pieceful ending to a great run, from now on, the upper ends at 5 mile!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
When you go through the middle remember to bring your fishing gear. Kayaking/boating alone doesn't piss them off nearly as much as fishing their "exclusive" water.

·
Registered
123 Posts
River Outfitters Claim Victory in Rafting Dispute, Withdraw Ballot Initiatives

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, June 15, 2010

CONTACT
Will Coyne, 720-308-7931, [email protected]

River Outfitters Claim Victory in Rafting Dispute, Withdraw Ballot Initiatives

Colorado boaters celebrated a long awaited victory today when Texas real estate developer Lewis Shaw officially backed off his quest to block boating next to his property on the Taylor River, near Gunnison. With the high profile dispute over floating rights complete, the Colorado River Outfitters Association (CROA) agreed to withdraw their four proposed “right-to-float” ballot measures and pledged to continue to discuss statewide solutions with stakeholders this summer.

“Today is a great day for boaters,” said CROA President Bob Hamel. “Now boaters on the Taylor can continue to float that beautiful river that they have been floating for decades.”

Two local rafting companies and Shaw’s attorneys came to a negotiated agreement this week over the terms of floating near Shaw’s property on the Taylor that will ensure floating continues without threat of lawsuit for years to come.

The dispute on the Taylor River began in December of 2009, when Shaw’s attorney sent a letter to two long-standing Taylor River rafting companies threatening legal action against rafters that floated past his property. The dispute gave rise to HB10 - 1188, a bill to clarify the rights of boaters to float Colorado’s rivers, and four subsequent proposed ballot measures promoted by rafters and anglers.

“With the Taylor River open for rafting, outfitters feel comfortable withdrawing our ballot measures this year so we can get back home to focus on our businesses”, explained Hamel.

After withdrawing their proposed ballot measures, the commercial rafting industry committed to participating in ongoing discussions around floating rights with Gov. Ritter and other stakeholders throughout the summer and fall.

“Commercial rafters are committed to being good neighbors to adjacent landowners and conscious stewards of Colorado’s rivers“, said Hamel. “We look forward to continuing conversations with landowners and other river enthusiasts about how best to ensure that Colorado’s rivers can be enjoyed by all.”
####

·
Registered
123 Posts
Governor's Statement on River Ballot Issue Resolution

OFFICE OF GOV. BILL RITTER, JR.
WWW.COLORADO.GOV/GOVERNOR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
TUESDAY, JUNE 15, 2010

CONTACTS
Evan Dreyer, Governor’s Office, 720.350.8370, [email protected]
Theo Stein, Dept. of Natural Resources, 720.448.5567, [email protected]
Eric Anderson, Creekside Coalition, 303.892.9100 ext.12, [email protected]
Don Sabrowski, Wilder on the Taylor, 970.596.2153
Adam Eichberg, Three Rivers and Scenic River Tours, 303.204.6930, [email protected]

GOV. RITTER ANNOUNCES BALLOT ISSUE RESOLUTION

Gov. Bill Ritter announced today an agreement has been reached between commercial rafting outfitters and private property owners along the Taylor River. The compromise clears the way for sponsors of 24 competing ballot measures to withdraw their respective proposals from the November ballot, averting an expensive and divisive election fight.

The Governor had asked two outfitters, Three Rivers and Scenic River Tours, and the owners of the Jackson-Shaw property, in May to find a mutually agreeable solution to their dispute.

Gov. Ritter thanked the parties for their hard work and willingness to find common ground. “To reach this accord, both sides had to make difficult concessions, and I appreciate their willingness to do so,” the Governor said. “Today’s agreement marks an important step toward opening a dialogue between landowners and rafters. My hope is that this dialogue will then lead to a fair and efficient dispute-resolution process for the future.

“Colorado’s rivers are essential to all Coloradans, not only for the vital drinking and agricultural water they carry, but also to our overall economy and quality of life,” said Gov. Ritter, who is an avid fly-fisherman. “Anglers, rafters and private landowners may all have separate and unique interests, but they all share a common Colorado interest that is bound together by doing what’s best for our children and the future of our state.

“I also applaud the decision of the sponsors to withdraw their ballot initiatives,” Gov. Ritter added. “The decision of these parties to withdraw these ballot measures was courageous and puts the interests of all Coloradans above their individual interests.”

Said Lewis Shaw, chairman and CEO of Jackson-Shaw Co., which owns the Wilder on the Taylor fishing reserve: “We are pleased to announce a resolution to the dispute on the Taylor River involving commercial rafting and private fishing property. Gov. Ritter has offered much-appreciated guidance to both parties to reach this settlement privately, avoiding possible contentious legislative initiatives or impositions. The agreement permits rafting companies Three Rivers and Scenic River Tours structured access through the private Wilder Ranch property while respecting each parties’ positions for their mutual enjoyment of this beautiful natural resource.”

“Over the years, Colorado’s property owners and rafters around the state, working on a case-by-case basis, have found ways to accommodate each other,” said John Leede, president of the Creekside Coalition, which represents about 600 riparian landowners across Colorado. “We believe this long-standing approach has served Colorado well by balancing the needs of various interests. Our ballot issues were introduced to protect against legislative and ballot proposals from the commercial rafting community that we believed were one sided and would have disrupted the delicate balance between rafters, fisherman and property owners across the state. We are appreciative of the Governor’s leadership in resolving this issue and we will continue to participate constructively in future discussions around these issues.”

The withdrawal of the ballot measures also clears the way for the creation of a task force that will propose a dispute-resolution process to address future conflicts on Colorado rivers.

Gov. Ritter will convene a task force of stakeholders to develop a proposal for resolving conflicts among landowners, anglers and the boating public. The task force will be charged with developing a framework for resolving disputes on Colorado rivers on a stretch-by-stretch basis as those disputes arise. This approach recognizes that disputes vary from place to place and that a one-size-fits-all strategy is unlikely to succeed.

The task force will be led by the Department of Natural Resources and the Governor’s Office. The task force will include representatives from landowners, commercial and recreational river users, local government officials and law enforcement, which has historically been tasked with intervening in such disputes.

The task force will be asked to deliver a report outlining its proposal to the Governor by Dec. 31.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Joint Statement on River Ballot Issue Resolution

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 14, 2010

Contacts:
Wilder on the Taylor, Don Sabrowski, Ranch Manager, (970) 596-2153
Scenic River Tours, Inc. and Three Rivers Outfitting, Inc., Adam Eichberg, (303) 204-6930

Jackson-Shaw and Commercial Rafting Companies Reach Agreement Regarding Floating on the Taylor River

GUNNISON, Colo. –Jackson-Shaw, Three Rivers Outfitting, and Scenic River Tours announced today that they have reached a four-year agreement regarding floating through Jackson-Shaw’s fishing property on the Taylor River.

Jackson-Shaw is the owner of the Wilder on the Taylor fishing reserve. Three Rivers Outfitting and Scenic River Tours are commercial rafting companies that conduct float trips on the Taylor River.

Mediation between the two rafting companies and Jackson-Shaw began on April 22, and included two formal mediation sessions with the Judicial Arbiter Group in Denver. The second session, held on May 26, resulted in a formal agreement between the parties. This agreement was signed by all three parties on June 14, 2010.

All of the parties are satisfied with the terms and conditions contained in the agreement and are pleased that they were able to resolve the dispute through private negotiation. The parties have all indicated a desire to continue working cooperatively with one another to resolve any future differences that may arise concerning the provision of river-running services through Jackson-Shaw’s fishing property.

###​

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is this a good thing/great thing?...this just confirms the status quo...I'm tired of being yelled at by landowners because I'm pushing my raft off a rock or sandbar...We need an explicit ruling or legislation allowing touching the bottom below the high water mark and safe portaging rules.

SH

·
Registered
346 Posts
Given the thread regarding the camaras and the filiming on this stretch of river my guess is this is going to come up again. The landowner is just intending to compile evidence for a while to support his claim regarding damages.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I just spoke on the phone with Don, the ranch manager and he informed me that the agreement is between Shaw and the commercial rafting co's, and that private boaters would need permission to float through. I asked if they intended to continue to photograph and harass private boaters and his answer was "yes, on a case by case basis."

I'm not sure what their criteria are, but I'll see what we can find out.

Once again it's another chess move by this clown...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice Slave, did you tell him we will be fishing this week, I believe I will call the DOW tomorrow and find out about being intimidated while legally floating and fishing the river!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I noticed that private boaters were conspicuously absent from the release. Doesn't seem like anything was solved.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts