Mountain Buzz banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
So a 1" strap/buckle sewn to a 4" strap? that's brilliant!!

I wonder if they make a 2" corner protector...would fit more common straps. I have permanent 2" loops sewn to sling my cooler and drybox. Once you figure out the height with NRS loop straps, I tend to never really change it...and made the 2" straps that same length, popped the crossbars off the frame, slipped the loops on, and put the frame back together. Saved the loop straps for other uses.
As you noted, once you have the length figured out, you never have to change it. I don't sew and didn't want to pay anyone to sew my cooler loops for me......so I used four pop rivets with backup washers and made my own cooler loops using 4" wide truckers straps. It's works great since all my frames are welded and you can't take the frames apart.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I box stitched cooler straps on my welded Cambridge frame. That was a pain in the ass but worked when done. I eventually cut them off and use these now with 2" straps:

I will sometimes raise my cooler up for low water MFS trips but don't like it that high the rest of the year. If you put the tails on the inside against the cooler, I've not had them slip in years. If I didn't move the height on a trip or two a year, I'd sew or rivet again.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
I just use a drop bag and loop straps for the top.
Plus 5 on the drop bag. 100 times better than a strap sling, irregardless of whose little bent pieces of aluminum are on it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Folks.

my brother bought me an amazing gift. The yeti 125. I’m trying to rig it to my frame and am having trouble with it wanting to roll forward and back. I can put two additional frame members alongside, but I’m not sure that will help with the rotation. It’s too tall to sit on the shelf portion of the cooler. Hanging from straps seems the only way....?

any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you! View attachment 65207
I have had the same problem with the pivot on my cooler, am trying bike inner tubes on the straps that hold the cooler, thus far it makes it better, not perfect but very easy, that and loop straps over the top.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Folks.

my brother bought me an amazing gift. The yeti 125. I’m trying to rig it to my frame and am having trouble with it wanting to roll forward and back. I can put two additional frame members alongside, but I’m not sure that will help with the rotation. It’s too tall to sit on the shelf portion of the cooler. Hanging from straps seems the only way....?

any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you! View attachment 65207
You will definitely want loop straps over the cooler any for extra safety. Wouldn't want to lose that in a capsize. The loop straps will stabilize the cooler as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I found the best way to rig a Yeti is to sell it and buy a canyon.

·
Never enough free time
354 Posts
I made a board for under a cooler that works better than anything I've seen. I hang it with 4 straps going around the outside and looping the section of your in between the holes. When you strap your cooler down its very stable.

Sorry I have no pic of it rigged View attachment 65276
I have the NRS straps, have used a drop bag, but have been running something like this for a couple of years and find it to be may favorite.

·
Definite maybe
828 Posts
I have the NRS straps, have used a drop bag, but have been running something like this for a couple of years and find it to be may favorite.
Me too. Its rock solid.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Unfortunately, it's really, really hard to get a stable cooler using straps. I ended up going to a fabrication shop and having hanging brackets made out of stainless steel. They look similar to the NRS adjustable mounts, but they are one continuous piece. The cooler is now super stable, doesn't shift around even when you stand on it. I've been haranguing cooler makers for years to make a drop in cooler for boating, i.e. something that rests directly on the frame. Canyon Coolers kind of does this, but the dimensions of their coolers are wrong for boating. They are geared towards a broader market.

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
180 Posts
Unfortunately, it's really, really hard to get a stable cooler using straps.
It did take a lot of adjusting when I was setting up my frame, but my cooler is rock solid using the NRS straps. The cross bars are set with minimal clearance from the cooler, so the cooler doesn't sway at all from front to back. Once the loop straps are tight over the top the cooler is locked down and doesn't sway at all side to side. Overall, it makes a very nice platform which I would say is just as stable as my strapped down dry box and running boards.

Since there are more than one way to skin a cat, I'd love to see your setup! I am always open to seeing new ideas and ways to problem solve.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts