Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm permitted to packraft Desolation canyon solo in UT on the 22nd. and am looking for a ride in. I was planning to park in Green River and hitch up north and get a ride in from a shuttle service, but none of the shuttle companies are willing to transport a person in. So if anyone has connections that way I'm willing to pay a fee for this, but not the $200 the shuttle companies want for a full shuttle service.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Hopefully you find a ride through the forum or another....

...as the area is unfriendly to and very remote for hitch hiking. I have hitched extensively across the country for adventures and Utah has been the most inconsistent place for rides. Having played and worked in the area of Deso I can't think of worse place to try and do so, especially so early in the boating season.

I wish you the best of luck. If you don't pre-arrange a ride I would arrive with at least a full day or more before your launch to hitch hike and know that last bit from Myton to Sand Wash could leave you stranded.

Phillip

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
The shuttle companies insurance will not cover passengers if I remember correctly. They are not being mean, just can not take the risk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going 3/22 and I understand the reason but just did not see that hicup comming. As for red tail they require a 2 passenger min or charge a shit ton I assume.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
711 Posts
Maybe the shuttle companies will pass on your request to the people whose cars they are shuttling. Then, maybe one of those people will contact you to make a pickup arrangement where you can ride in with them.

Check with Melanie at River Runner Transport, 800.930.7238 or [email protected]

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am open to folks joining as well, but new the the river scene and how to add people. Previous long distance hiker so Im used to traveling pretty light. Also weighing the option of hiking in from the hwy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
David, I Already left my info with them at rrt, but thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You've got to pay the money!

I am going 3/22 and I understand the reason but just did not see that hicup comming. As for red tail they require a 2 passenger min or charge a shit ton I assume.

It's extremely unlikely you're going to hitch a ride from the town of Green River to Sand Wash in March, let alone in the summer. River runners just don't get off the river and go back to Sand Wash or even remotely close to Sand Wash on their way home.

You need to accept that it's going to cost money to have your vehicle shuttled from Sand Wash down to the takeout or fly.

I understand your desire to enjoy this trip in exclusion, but you're excluding yourself from the shared expense of the river shuttle. On my trips, the river shuttle expense is divided among several people.

It's also unlikely you'll see anyone else on the river this early into the shoulder season.

·
Registered
58 Posts
IMHO, somebody will be driving to Sand Wash pretty much every day. I've hitchhiked all over rural Utah in my youth. Granted, it would be a long hike from Myton to Sand Wash. But I bet within 24 hours you would get a ride.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
IMHO, somebody will be driving to Sand Wash pretty much every day. I've hitchhiked all over rural Utah in my youth. Granted, it would be a long hike from Myton to Sand Wash. But I bet within 24 hours you would get a ride.
OP, did you find a ride?

Both March 21-22nd have people launching at Sandwash per the calendar so there is hope there. But there are only two launches a day and only Saturday the 21st is booked out totally. I assume you are the only launch on Sunday at this point which means trying to catch that crew driving in friday for their Saturday launch.

I don't know about most folks but my crew is almost always packed to the brim for our desert floats. I love helping (most) hitch hikers when I can but its rare I have space when driving down roads like those into Sandwash. San Juan, Westwater, Ruby/Horsethief: sure thing. Deso, never have I had spare room.

The OP is best served to consider the hitchhike in five segments: Swasey's to I-70; Hwy 191 to junction with Hwy 6 (just past Helper); Hwy 191 through Indian Canyon to Duchesne; Duchesne to Myton; Myton to Sandwash. Only two of those segments are super friendly to hitchhiking, 191 to Helper area and Duchesne to Myton. Fewer people travel to Duchesne than use Hwy 6 to access cities to the west so it could be a major holdover at that junction, but a ride can likely be found within a couple hours. Myton to Sandwash could easily leave you stranded and not making it in time for your launch. Swasey's is relatively dead that time of year and could take several hours. Doubling or tripling the normal drive time would be a minimum amount of time I would use to predict the trip.

All in all....I wouldn't start hitching any later than Friday morning. You could find someone to take you all the way or grease multiple rides in the 200+ miles you are trying to link but I wouldn't put money on a quick trip. Its an epic hitch hike any time of year and more so in the shoulder season for Deso.

More power to ya if you pull it off. I hope the trip goes off without a hitch and you get to enjoy the brilliant solitude of the canyon.

Phillip

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I kinda got it figured out going to take the multi sport approch. Talked withe the BLM and am going to check in at the Price office taking care of the check in at sand wash. Then drop a bike off at the 191 junction with 9 mile creek rd. Drive what is said to be a good and mostly paved road up nine mile creek and hike 7 miles in to the river via jacks creek cayon rd. Run the river from Jacks creek canyon to Green River. Then hitch only 50ish miles to the junction and bike back to the truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mikesee, I didnt come across that site but found that same trip report on the apa site. Lets see how it works solo. It didnt take any convincing of the BLM, they were just fine with the alt. Check in.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I kinda got it figured out going to take the multi sport approch. Talked withe the BLM and am going to check in at the Price office taking care of the check in at sand wash. Then drop a bike off at the 191 junction with 9 mile creek rd. Drive what is said to be a good and mostly paved road up nine mile creek and hike 7 miles in to the river via jacks creek cayon rd. Run the river from Jacks creek canyon to Green River. Then hitch only 50ish miles to the junction and bike back to the truck.

Well done, sir. I hope the trip goes well.

How many days?

The Deso/Price folks have been great over the years, most of them are just happy to see folks rafting and enjoying the river responsibly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts