Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a full boat build next year. Have been very impressed with Down River Equipment's boats. Though, admittedly, they seem to fetch a premium in price. Any one have an opinion or review of their rafts?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
They are very sweet. Mine holds air like a champ and the material seems super bomber. Admittedly not an expert on rafts, but I have been very pleased with my 13' SB. I load it down and occasionally hit rocks.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
No worries, I know about twelve boaters that have owned DR boats for awhile, very few problems. It is a proven boat and company. Plus they are a local business. Over the years I have purchased 80% of my personal gear there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I been in these rafts set up for electrofishing - generators, water tanks for holding fish, all the electrofishing hardware, full frames with diamond plate floor from DRE...these boat were set up heavy as a garbage barge. These boat have been ground over gravel bars, bounced down banks, and run into sieves and rootballs that I would have sworn would have shredded anything, and they kept floating.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have the 14' colorado and love it.

It is a bit lighter than the outfitter models made by them as well as other companies but I prefer it as it is lighter and rolls tighter.

I have yet to have any issues with it for the past 3 years.

·
sh$t show voyeuor/host
285 Posts
I have no experience rowing one, but when I contacted them to check a serial # on a friends boat I found out some interesting things. They do not assign the #'s, but rather the "factory" in Asia assigns them, and with "no apparent rhyme or reason" according to the customer service rep I spoke to. based on that statement, it seems that DRE doesn't own their factory, but contracts out the building of their boats. This is not a huge deal, but compared to a company like Aire who when you give them a serrial # can tell you the date of manufacture, date of sale, original purchaser and the length of remaining warranty, all over the phone in less than a minute, DRE's organization and comitment to those who have already purchased their rafts seems to be lacking. Seems to be more akin to those selling "bargain brand" boats rather than high end ones. But again, I have never used one and have always heard that they are bomber

·
Registered
135 Posts
own both, and in the future i will put my money into more NRS boats; the DRs we've had all had problems with the floors; and I think the NRS last longer consistantly. Probably a fine boat and ours see more miles in a few yrs than most ever will, but you can't go wrong with NRS

·
Registered
5 Posts
dre Welding

My buddy bought one of these boats and it had leaks where the floor was welded to the tube as well a a blown I-beam within the first month of owning it. He had to get a new boat under warranty witch took some time because the new boat had to be shipped from the factory. Bottom line as said above is that DRE does not have the quality control that the larger companies have so you might get a "lemon", if that happens the boat should be under warranty and you might have to go through some hoops to get a new one but once you get a quality boat it should last.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sounds like an Aire commercial...

I have no experience rowing one, but when I contacted them to check a serial # on a friends boat I found out some interesting things. They do not assign the #'s, but rather the "factory" in Asia assigns them, and with "no apparent rhyme or reason" according to the customer service rep I spoke to. based on that statement, it seems that DRE doesn't own their factory, but contracts out the building of their boats. This is not a huge deal, but compared to a company like Aire who when you give them a serrial # can tell you the date of manufacture, date of sale, original purchaser and the length of remaining warranty, all over the phone in less than a minute, DRE's organization and comitment to those who have already purchased their rafts seems to be lacking. Seems to be more akin to those selling "bargain brand" boats rather than high end ones. But again, I have never used one and have always heard that they are bomber
They were inquiring about down river boats...not Aires

·
sh$t show voyeuor/host
285 Posts
They were inquiring about down river boats...not Aires
Please excuse me Gary for comparing an experience I had with DRE and their customer support with those I have had with Aire. I have a first hand account of DRE's customer service and warranty support so I thought I would share that information with Riodaze. All I said is that they may not build their own boats, but defiantly don't create or record the serial numbers, which can be an issue for resale, warranty or model identification. I will add that DRE's customer support staff was very nice and understanding of my situation. Sorry to compare apples to apples, excuse me Taiwanese apples to American apples, but you must use a benchmark of some sort.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Matt just for the record there are very few companies in the outdoor industry that actually have their own factory. I am not familiar with Aire but in general you can not judge a company for not owning their own factory.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,425 Posts
Disclaimer!!!!!!!!!!! I do the warranty work for all DRE boats. I dont work for them. They are a customer of mine.

Also, I am in no way criticizing or comparing other companies policies or products, merely stating my professional opinon on DRE customer service and warranty procedure.

There are a lot of quality rafts out there and quality companies standing behing those rafts. DRE is one of those companies, happens to be a customer of mine, and is the brand in question. Hopefully this answers outstanding questions and clears the record.

There is rhyme and reason to the serial numbers on DRE boats. They are assigned at the factory, in asia. Korea or china depending on the year and model. If you have a question on when your boat was made, feel free to email me with the serial number at [email protected] and I can tell you when your boat was made. I do believe that the staff at DRE doesnt know about the serial numbers as the layout has changed over the years and it isnt something they train all their staff on. Frankly, they dont need to. DRE has as good if not better customer service than anyone else in the industry. The fact is, if you have a problem with your DRE boat, they take care of it. If you have had an issue you know that as far as customers are concerned they dont mess around with serial numbers. They deal close enough with their customers and have few enough warranties that you have a name not just a serial number. They take your boat, they send it to me and it gets fixed, or replaced. I cant tell you how many boats have come to me with obvious abuse and neglect issues and they said to warranty it, sometimes after the warranty is up and or i have advised against it. The serial numbers are more for dealing with the factory in the event of an issue. DRE and Raftfix deal with that hassle, not the customer. DRE is a small local company who buys from a factory in asia and it is true that they arent watching over the shoulder of the factory workers, few "manufactures" are. All brands of rafts have issues, trust me. If i bought a raft that had an issue, returned it to the company and they gave me a new boat, i'd be stoked. What more can you ask for. If you have somehow fallen through the cracks let DRE know and I am sure you will be satisfied with the customer sevice you recieve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts