Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
This sux. Doesn't seem like it was possible to reserve more than one night/camp before, but maybe I just didn't do it? Hopefully there are cancellations as people get the dates they want and cancel the rest. Hopefully the person who runs the white board at little hole has a spine and doesn't allow outfitters or poorly behaved private groups to monopolize the FF camps.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Hopefully the person who runs the white board at little hole has a spine and doesn't allow outfitters or poorly behaved private groups to monopolize the FF camps.
As long as they get paid…they will never change..

·
Registered
523 Posts
i've rattled on about this multiple times. Even talked with the BLM Ranger and camp host 2 years ago.
Stipulations say you can sign up for the First Comoe (whiteboard) 24 or 48 hours in advance (cant remember). BUT you go there at 8am in the morning and sites are blocked out for the full whiteboard (10 days ?). s

Sucks

and yes, the same hand writing for multiple names / sites / 10 days.

In my many overnigths trips there (20 +) the camps are typically 60% full (more in the last 2 years), while the online and white board are maxed out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is like a white dry erase board? Why not just erase whatever is clearly outside the rules and write your name down?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Also, there are plenty of outfitters, locals, and even people that pass through that put their name on the big board weeks in advance. Just look at the board next time you are through and you will see the same names al over the place...or the same handwriting.
Same hand writing? Could it be the camp host?
This is like a white dry erase board? Why not just erase whatever is clearly outside the rules and write your name down?
Pretty shitty to steal someone’s camp site because you think you have authority. We have arrived late at a couple of sites in this section and had to tell someone that plays dumb and has camp set up that we have reserved the site and they say they didn’t know how the camp system worked.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Multiple sites reserved for blocks of days. Outiftters take up blocks of days on the first come sites but always consecutive days so that they do not have to breakdown camp. Just leave everything up for the next group. Just look at the board next time you are there and it is easy to see what is going on. Used to drive up there the night before to grab a camp site, but not worth the risk anymore with a 4+ hour drive. Although the car camping sites around the flaming gorge are pretty nice.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Even though someone is doing something shady I feel like this would be even worse.

Same hand writing? Could it be the camp host?

Pretty shitty to steal someone’s camp site because you think you have authority. We have arrived late at a couple of sites in this section and had to tell someone that plays dumb and has camp set up that we have reserved the site and they say they didn’t know how the camp system worked.

I always take a photo of the whiteboard to show that I indeed signed up for the reserved campsite. This way there is no debating on who gets the site.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Even though someone is doing something shady I feel like this would be even worse.

I always take a photo of the whiteboard to show that I indeed signed up for the reserved campsite. This way there is no debating on who gets the site.
It would totally be worse. I was just feeling a little ornery last night!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I just got off the phone with the river manager for the FS. He indicated that they are aware of the issues with booking sites for the B section via rec.gov/whiteboard. They intend on having a meeting to discuss the concerns brought up in this thread.

In conclusion, they are looking to provide an equitable opportunity for as many people to use the river.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just got in and it allowed me to select 14 days in a row at the same campsite.
This has been happening at campsites all across the country. People have found out that if you have to reserve 6 months in advance, you can actually select dates prior to your intended reservation and then through your desired stay. Once you make your reservation you can then go back and modify it and cancel the days you don’t want. For example, if you want to stay at a site from the 10-14th, you would actually book from the 1st - 14th, then go back after a few days or weeks and modify the reservation to cancel the 1st through the 9th. You would just need to book exactly six months ahead from the 1st. If you wait until six months out from the 10th someone could have already booked it ahead. Hopefully this makes sense!

The problem with this is some people are not cancelling the days they don’t intend to use. The campsites are reserved but then remain vacant. Some campgrounds now have a policy where if you miss the first night the remainder of the reservation is cancelled and the site goes back online as available. Some have gone even further and put your name in a database for repeat offenders and you can be blocked from making future reservations. With the dramatic increase in people camping this will unfortunately be the new norm.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Here’s a thought I just had…could be garbage so feel free to tear it apart.

No you can’t get a refund…at all…no exceptions..this would hopefully stop people from just filling out days. Or not going. Don’t see why the gov would care due to consistent revenue.

a turn in box at the campsites with your permit?? To prove you went? Not some drive up drop off..We due this already with self service drop boxes. Just make one for each camp site. if you didn’t go or didn’t drop off your permit into the correct camp then You get a fat fine.

This wouldn’t be fool proof…but it would be like a bike lock, inconvenient enough to make most folks turn away. Would incentivize people to camp at their actual camp too. Then they really can’t play stupid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I feel like people are reserving dates before they plan to arrive at camp for the Green River. The reservable campsites are available 6 months in advance so as of today reservations are for July 11th.

Someone has Big Pine 1 and 2 reserved from at least today (the 11th) to the 16th?? Who stays at the same campsite for 5 days? What makes me worried is that people are reserving campsites for days before they intend to arrive. I believe this same thing is happening on Ruby HT as well??

View attachment 72283
Are you sure that they aren't only available two months in advance? I was trying to book a camp site and the only available dates are capped at 8 weeks out

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here’s a thought I just had…could be garbage so feel free to tear it apart.

No you can’t get a refund…at all…no exceptions..this would hopefully stop people from just filling out days. Or not going. Don’t see why the gov would care due to consistent revenue.

a turn in box at the campsites with your permit?? To prove you went? Not some drive up drop off..We due this already with self service drop boxes. Just make one for each camp site. if you didn’t go or didn’t drop off your permit into the correct camp then You get a fat fine.

This wouldn’t be fool proof…but it would be like a bike lock, inconvenient enough to make most folks turn away. Would incentivize people to camp at their actual camp too. Then they really can’t play stupid.
Fully agree. The only way to change people's behavior is by creating financial disincentive, and a no-refunds-no-exceptions policy would do just that. I'm also supportive of banning cancellations within 1 month of the reservation. Letting permit holders cancel week-of offers little opportunity for other users to claim a permit, and makes it permissible to hold dates until the last minute to limit other users on the river/trail/ect... A month-long confirmed window seems fair to ensure enough time for other users to claim a cancellation, and, combined with no-exception-no-refunds-no-transfers (no transfers to prevent poaching and scalping permits), would limit a lot of this shitty behavior by both commercial and private users.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah but....

The problem then becomes zero incentive to cancel sites you've booked and aren't using, which means no one gets to use them. Whether you have legit reason to no-show, or you're gaming the system. Those with deeper pockets will just book dates they don't need and suck up the extra cost. I would think outfitters wouldn't think twice about paying a few hundred bucks in un-used camp fees to make thousands off their clients.
What would be better (but probably much harder to implement) would be a disincentive to no-show.

Reactions: VanHalli

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah but....

The problem then becomes zero incentive to cancel sites you've booked and aren't using, which means no one gets to use them. Whether you have legit reason to no-show, or you're gaming the system. Those with deeper pockets will just book dates they don't need and suck up the extra cost. I would think outfitters wouldn't think twice about paying a few hundred bucks in un-used camp fees to make thousands off their clients.
What would be better (but probably much harder to implement) would be a disincentive to no-show.
Exactly. I've always felt the best solution would be some sort of a no-cancellation policy coupled with a no-show fee/deposit paid, that's returned once you show up for your reservation. Only problems I see with that are A) like you said, some people have deeper pockets than others and aren't swayed "trivial" $50 or $100 fines/deposits, and B) It'd probably be a little more complicated and spendy to enforce these rules. Might not be as enterprising as you'd imagine and cost more to enforce than it would generate in revenue.

Either way, with the pretty insane growing popularity of the sport, and really the outdoors in general, some consideration and conversation is going to need to happen around this, and sooner rather than later.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Yeah but....

Okay so then on top of a fat fine, have the use their social for recoding purposes and ban them for a certain time period if they don’t use their permit or record they used the right camp spots like I posted above...Boom deep pockets doesn’t matter anymore.

The problem we have here is zero accountability. So someone has to make a solution to parent individuals.

Unfortunately none of us get to make those decisions so all we can do is bitch/debate/roll over..

21 - 39 of 39 Posts