Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I feel like people are reserving dates before they plan to arrive at camp for the Green River. The reservable campsites are available 6 months in advance so as of today reservations are for July 11th.

Someone has Big Pine 1 and 2 reserved from at least today (the 11th) to the 16th?? Who stays at the same campsite for 5 days? What makes me worried is that people are reserving campsites for days before they intend to arrive. I believe this same thing is happening on Ruby HT as well??

Product Rectangle Font Line Screenshot

·
Registered
13 Posts
I could be wrong but from my impression last year floating during the week, it was commercial fishing guide companies reserving multiple days at the same camp and just bringing customers through. Saw the same thing on the Little Hole sign up board for the non-reserveable sites where someone initialed 5 days in a row at the same site.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Can't tell if it the same party is booking one site for that many days? If you put in July 11 to July 25, you can book that many days, but cannot modify the reservation for 17 days from today

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm not familiar with their system but with that pattern I'd suspect those were blocked out for some other official or sanctioned use? I'd be surprised if you could book the same camp for five nights.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could be wrong but from my impression last year floating during the week, it was commercial fishing guide companies reserving multiple days at the same camp and just bringing customers through. Saw the same thing on the Little Hole sign-up board for the non-reservable sites where someone initialed 5 days in a row at the same site.
If this is the case then yes they would be okay to reserve those dates... that being said I think the commercial guide companies should have a different process to reserve these sites. They could just reserve a specific spot all summer if they are doing it through the public site.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought there was a maximum amount of days that you could reserve an individual site? If there isn't, how is there not? Another gold star for rec.gov....
I'm not familiar with their system but with that pattern I'd suspect those were blocked out for some other official or sanctioned use? I'd be surprised if you could book the same camp for five nights.
I just got in and it allowed me to select 14 days in a row at the same campsite.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just got in and it allowed me to select 14 days in a row at the same campsite.
To be honest, I've never tried to reserve more than 2 nights, and just always assumed there would be a reasonable cap... This seems like a pretty glaring exploit that should be addressed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Rec.gov created one system of reservations for regular campgrounds and just transferred it over to river campgrounds. That system allows you to begin reserving campgrounds 60 days out, with one loop hole: If you want to stay multiple days, you can start your reservation 60 days out and reserve up to 14 additional days beyond that date. This means that if I want a spot for 7/14/22 I can reserve it starting on 7/1/22 by first reserving that spot for 13 days before. I have to pay the full amount for a 14 day reservation. Then I wait for a few weeks and log back in, cancel the first 13 days, and get my money back. This allows me the ability to get the site I want before the 60 day window opens.

The likelyhood of river runners staying at one site for this long is slim. I'd rather they modify the reservation system for river campsites to open all sites for a 1 week period (Wednesday to Tuesday) 60 days out for the entire stretch (or in the case of RHT, for both RHT and Westwater). If you wanted to stay multiple nights within that week, you'd have the same chance as everyone else. And if you wanted to stay multiple nights Tuesday through Wednesday, you'd have to try and do it in two separate bookings.

Finally, to the multiple people that are going to message me asking me to remove this because even though the loophole is shitty, by telling everyone else, it will make it harder to get permits... as I've respectfully told you, I think the system is broken and I'd rater everyone have the information (that is readily available on the internet already) if we aren't going to fix the root of the problem. So unlike last time, I'm leaving it up.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Here is the list of campsites, bold can be reserved, the rest are first come, first serve:

Stonefly I & II
Sand
Bootleg
Cats Paw
Cottonwood

Grasshopper I & II
Jackson Creek
Cicada
Trails End
Big Pine I & II

Pugmire Pocket
Red Creek I & II
Treetop

Note from Rec.gov: Prior to occupying your campsite, campers must check in with the booth attendant at the Little Hole Boat Launch Area or the Campers Registration Board (located at the host site) if the booth is closed. All site changes must be documented on the Camper Registration Board. If you find your reservation date/site is in error, please contact the site host or call (435) 781-5244 if a site host is not available.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
there is a reason it is called Wreck.gov
It never was intended to be used for boating, it was coded for land based sites as was already pointed out.. One reason Westwater and Canyon lands resisted adoption for so long, but at the end, they fought the good fight and lost to the government mandate that it be used...

Reactions: VanHalli

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yep, the "B Section" of the Green has gotten pretty bad compared to just 10 years ago, in regards to campsite availability. And yes, outfitters seem to dominate the camping there now...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yep. It is outfitters. They set up the same green high-ceiling drop tents and keep them there as they rotate their clients through. Not sure if they have to play by the same rules or are given days and sites in advance like RHT. At least at RHT you CAN NOT modify your entry date, first day any more, so this stops the practice that gwheyduke speaks of. Personally, I think all campground reservations should go to this system.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Also, there are plenty of outfitters, locals, and even people that pass through that put their name on the big board weeks in advance. Just look at the board next time you are through and you will see the same names al over the place...or the same handwriting.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, there are plenty of outfitters, locals, and even people that pass through that put their name on the big board weeks in advance. Just look at the board next time you are through and you will see the same names al over the place...or the same handwriting.
How far out can you reserve the first come camp sites? I believe its one week in advance?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts