Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up an AIRE 156R but I need a frame. I have an NRS Fat Cat frame that I was thinking of repurposing into a raft frame. I like the idea of building one so I can customize it etc...BUT would it be more economical to just sell the Fat Cat and and then customize an NRS raft frame? Or get a custom welded frame by one of the numerous builders out there?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I will be repurposing my NRS cat frame for a new raft. It's already set up for my cooler and dry boxes, and it will save me money. I see no need to buy new at this point. The only down side is that I'm trying to sell my cat tubes, and it would be easier with the frame as a complete set-up.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Agree with cataraftgirl on the frame.

I have had two NRS frames.

Put them both together by buying the parts needed to do it my way.

Discuss the project with Clyde at NRS. He gave me a bunch of help with options, swapped a bunch of emails and when every thing looked right, I ordered what I needed.

The good thing about NRS frames is a lot of the parts can be used on different setups.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. A fat cat frame with two seats retails for about $1,300 whereas a big horn II is about half that, that's why I'm not sure if cutting up the fat cat is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Thanks for the input. A fat cat frame with two seats retails for about $1,300 whereas a big horn II is about half that, that's why I'm not sure if cutting up the fat cat is the way to go.
I see your dilemma. Looks like the fat cat is 72 X 107. So I'm guessing that those specs mean it's probably too wide and too long for the 156R. The length may be close, but width of the cross bars may be a problem. For me, cutting cross bars isn't an option, so I'm glad my 66 inch cross bars will fit the raft I'm thinking about getting. However, if you have the tools/skill/time, you may be able to do it yourself. Since you live in Moscow, maybe see what NRS would charge you to cut the cross bars down to fit your raft. I'd put the frame on the raft first to see how far off the fit is, then decide which direction to go.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I see your dilemma. Looks like the fat cat is 72 X 107. So I'm guessing that those specs mean it's probably too wide and too long for the 156R. The length may be close, but width of the cross bars may be a problem. For me, cutting cross bars isn't an option, so I'm glad my 66 inch cross bars will fit the raft I'm thinking about getting. However, if you have the tools/skill/time, you may be able to do it yourself. Since you live in Moscow, maybe see what NRS would charge you to cut the cross bars down to fit your raft. I'd put the frame on the raft first to see how far off the fit is, then decide which direction to go.
Cutting down is probably not something they would do but they might reinstall new lo pros at the end of a cut down tube. Trying to reuse a lo pro is hard to do but you can make nice side rail racks out of them

·
Registered
184 Posts
The only down side is that I'm trying to sell my cat tubes, and it would be easier with the frame as a complete set-up.
Or if you were willing to ship!

I'm not sure, but I think you could sell a Fat Cat Frame for enough to get a new NRS raft frame. I wouldn't cut yokes, or use them in a raft.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Alternatives to the NRA

Agree with cataraftgirl on the frame.

I have had two NRS frames.

Put them both together by buying the parts needed to do it my way.

Discuss the project with Clyde at NRS. He gave me a bunch of help with options, swapped a bunch of emails and when every thing looked right, I ordered what I needed.

The good thing about NRS frames is a lot of the parts can be used on different setups.
Google "cataraft parts"

You'll find an array of reasonably priced parts that will fit the N folks pipe size. With the money you save, you can put you kids through college.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I see 3 sets of questions that need to be answered.

1. Do you still have the cat tubes? If so, will you ever use both your new boat and cat at same time with friends or family, or just use the cat? If yes, no parting out cat frame.

2. Do you have storage space for both frames? If yes, never hurts to have more options in your quiver. If no, make space for both!

3. Do you expect to receive large amounts X-mas money or a X-mas bonus? If yes, put that towards your new frame. If no, listen to all the advice given here then just throw it all away and do what you want!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Frame

I see 3 sets of questions that need to be answered.

1. Do you still have the cat tubes? If so, will you ever use both your new boat and cat at same time with friends or family, or just use the cat? If yes, no parting out cat frame.

2. Do you have storage space for both frames? If yes, never hurts to have more options in your quiver. If no, make space for both!

3. Do you expect to receive large amounts X-mas money or a X-mas bonus? If yes, put that towards your new frame. If no, listen to all the advice given here then just throw it all away and do what you want!
Tubes have been sold. I will not need a cat frame. I think it will be fun to rebuild the fat cat frame into a raft frame although I think it would be cheaper to sell and buy. Thanks!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'd sell it. You'll be saving someone else money and getting a NEW frame out of the deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aire 156R with 72" NRS frame

I have an Aire 156R and a 72" wide NRS frame that I "customized". I believe that the length is 84" - I could have gone as long as 88", but I like the ability to slide the frame forward or back depending on load/passengers - it is a 4 bay frame with a nice-sized cockpit (the bays front to back are: table w/ drop bag, dry box, cocpit, cooler) . I went with AAA inflatables 10.5" oar towers that are on the inside of the 72" wide frame and I run 10' oars (the distance between the locks is roughly 72-74"). I built custom side decking and a center floor and I think that for me the set up is perfect. i'm 6'2".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts