Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16' Achilles from the early 90's. The tubes are wicked solid and hold air for days. On the Upper CO last weekend, I hit a water pumping pipe that jutted 12' out into the river about 6" below the surface. It apparently had shrappenel like edges in the middle of it and cut a 14" slit in my floor. I sewed it and duck taped over that. It held out water for the last day of float. I'm going to fully patch it soon.

Is it worth trying to find a 16' self bailing floor to put in her?
Where would I find one and could I install myself?

Thanks,

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have an old Shoshone from the 80's that I recently had converted to a self-bailer. Inflatable Technologies in Denver put a drop-stick floor in it. I'm satisfied and though it cost a grand, it was a lot cheaper than getting a whole new rig and having to convert my existing frame and gear over. A friend of mine did his old Avon Pro at the same time and he's happy also.

·
Registered
442 Posts
What size are the two boats? I am considering doing the same on my 15' but thinking of getting a new boat.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pipe is on the left hand side of the river near ranchland. I floated the Catamount Bridge to Cottonwood stretch. It was about 3 miles downstream of Pinball rapid.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ya I would love to keep my old boat going but its 24 going on 25, thats pretty old for a raft, I think I'm going new. I would repair yours not sure where to find a floor, try AAA inflatables in Denver. Cool people they will tell you to how fix the floor yourself before they try to overcharge a repair for you, like some boat shops in the area will do. Not to mention DRE, what a Joke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts