Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what everyone keeps in their emergency/ repair box on their boat, aside from first aid stuff.

I had a pretty good wake up call this morning when I broke one of the military valves on my boat and lost all of the air out of my rear chamber. Luckily it happened in the garage when I was topping off before we left for the day.

Needless to say I will be adding a spare valve to my kit but I'm curious what everyone else has in theirs.

As always pics are a plus!

Thanks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
My repair kit is too extensive to list but invest 25 bucks or so in the big roll of Tear Aid brand tape type A. It will fix a hole in just about anything including your boat. Type B is for vinyl if you have some vinyl products.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dsrtrat. Is that something that I would use just temporarily and then remove it and patch my boat if it came to it? I assume so but just want to clarify.

Thanks!

·
fat guy in a little boat
409 Posts
And yeah, Tear-Aid is a temporary thing on boats, till you can get to camp and patch it for real.
Holds great tho. I have some that's been holding my tent's rainfly together for years, still holding strong.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Tear Aid works great as an emergency fix, I have seen it repair some pretty big problems. A plus is that it will stick to just about anything. For big rips sew up the hole with baseball stich, slap some Tear Aid on and repair it when you get home or have time on the river.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I just bought some Tear Aid on Amazon, and will be adding that. So far I have the tear aid, a couple of spare hose clamps for my oar clips, spare valve, tools for valve replacement and the hose clamp.

What else should I toss in there?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Duct tape, scissors, fire starting materials, bailing wire, paracord, pulleys, carabiners, frame tools, bug spray, and victory cigars!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
166 Posts
ill add, screwdrivers, chanel locks, electrical tape, tent pole repair kit, heavy duty zip ties ,scissors, glue/brush/material/roller, ratchet with 1/2 socket, 3/16 allen head, super glue but thats normally in first aid, duct tape, lots of type a like mentioned above, oar lock, spare u bolts and few split rings

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great input, thanks everyone! Now, how are you all storing all of this? And where do you keep it on your boat? Does it differ between day and overnight trips? Why?

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I keep my boat repair in an ammo can mounted to my sideboard. It stays nice and dry and it's quick and easy access. Oh and I forgot to mention I also keep sticky back googley eyes in there to put on people's gear all sneaky like.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ok, so big tips so far, googely eyes and cold beer... JB weld is awesome
stuff too,

I have everything in a 1200 pelican box, I put a thin cutting board in the bottom (for repair material) and a few 1x1 x 12 inch pieces of aluminum angle stock for splinting material.

Stuff that is in my kit in addition to things mentioned earlier

Westsystems makes a G-Flex epoxy repair kit,
Plastic Boat Repair Kit – WEST SYSTEM
It is expensive, but, when you need it, nothing beats it.

n addition to things mentioned before I bring "planer board" fishing line from Cabelas, it is a hair over 1mm and has roughly 275lb breaking strength, handy stuff for stitching things up with.

1/4 inch driver, full set of allen bits (SAE and Metric) and 1/16-1/4 hex shank drill bits (it will suck something awful to use it, but, I do have them)

FastFix repair tape (it is a resin impregnated tape, wet, wrap, and then it sets like a cast over the problem)

Eyeglass repair kit

handful of stainless screws (for oar rights etc)

·
Registered
379 Posts
A flask of whiskey plus a lot of other stuff. A lot of problems can be fixed a lot quicker after a chat over a drink of whiskey before you jump right in to fix something.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I pack a spare oar tower and lock(I should have two) if you flip in some mank odds are there might be carnage to those since they're usually the tallest piece on frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
969 Posts
I carry two pelican boxes. One as a group 1st aid kit and one as a large repair kit. I've pretty much used almost everything in my repair kit at one time or another. Some of these items are specific to my rigging but most are pretty generic.

Feedback welcome on my list. It's really an amalgam of many lists and needs over the years so I'm sure many other buzzards indirectly contributed to it :)

GENERAL:
Super glue (regular & gel)
Bailing wire (regular and heavy gauge)
Small white vinyl tape
Cable ties (variety)
Sandpaper
Repair glue
K-pump service kit
Bimini slider & hardware
AIRE patch material (tube & floor)
Calculator
PVC repair tape
3x nitrile gloves
Small screwdriver set
Type tear-aid
Aquaseal w/cotol-240
E6000 adhesive/sealant
Goop multipurpose
Jb waterweld
Sil-glyde (silicone lubricant)
All weather notebook
C7 valve
Rasping tool
Duct tape
Gorilla tape
Floor valve
Magnetic pickup

CONTAINER (A)
Fastex clips
Barrel connectors
Spare bolts for frame
Zipper pulls Spare batteries (AA, AAA)

CONTAINER (B)
Hinge pins
Hose clamps
Spare butterfly for cooler (2)
Washers
Set screws
Safety pins
Zipper sliders (AIRE)
Spare hex keys
Snap pins
Split rings
Canyon table screws & connectors

TRIPLE CONTAINER
Machine screws
Wood screws
Washers
Nuts

TOOL AREA
Multi tool
Needle nose pliers
Dikes
Full set of hex keys (SAE)
Multi screwdriver
Tooth brush
Hacksaw blades
Teflon tape
9/16” & ½” open end wrenches
Vice grips
Awl
Flux brush
3/16th t-handle hex key
Tape measure
Razor blades
Oar-lock w/nut & ring
Sharpie
Hacksaw

·
Registered
151 Posts
Funny you should mention the whisky, I recently re-upped my WFA, and the instructor told a legend about an old W-EMT who kept two cigarettes in his first aid kit.

When pressed as to why they were there, the reply was,

I smoke the first one entirely while evaluating the scene, if the victim was going to die during that time, they still would end up being lost, but I could be hurt getting to the scene, or by something on scene.

The second, I smoke when it is all over.

There is a ton of merit in stopping and thinking first. It is pretty rare that my first impulse idea is as good as the one I come up with after thinking about it for a bit.

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
Cooler hinges, cooler plugs, condoms.
Look. Consider each significant piece of equipment and what you would need if say, your frame broke, or you got a serious hole in your rig, or your Coleman quit on you, or your cooler broke, and so forth. Then, gather the materials/tools you would need to fix it, put them in something like an ammo can, paint it, label it, strap it in and then and only then, drink the whiskey and smoke the cigarette.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts