Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using thole pins and clips for almost 40 years.
I want to switch to oar locks but cannot seem to get the thole pins to budge in the frame.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I concur. Heat the hardware with a torch and keep lubing it with penetrating oil (liquid wrench). Seems counter intuitive as heat expands metal but it pulls the oil down into the threads. Sometimes it takes rounds and rounds of this. Bigger wrench/ more force theory is great also however be aware of consequences of sheering off hardware. Might work to your advantage OR might create a new nightmare. I would make sure frame is off your rubber too (sorry if that’s obvious) as torch heated oil dripping on it may not agree.

·
Registered
35 Posts
.....I just reread original post. Doesn’t sound like threads are issue. Heat-lube, beat r out! Pipe wrench with cheater bar maybe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I concur. Heat the hardware with a torch and keep lubing it with penetrating oil (liquid wrench). Seems counter intuitive as heat expands metal but it pulls the oil down into the threads. Sometimes it takes rounds and rounds of this. Bigger wrench/ more force theory is great also however be aware of consequences of sheering off hardware. Might work to your advantage OR might create a new nightmare. I would make sure frame is off your rubber too (sorry if that’s obvious) as torch heated oil dripping on it may not agree.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Aluminum frame/steel thole pin?

Drano or oven cleaner are strong bases and will dissolve aluminum oxide but not aluminum.

Acids dissolve rust (and slower with steel).

If you use one or the other, you've got a couple days for it to penetrate...don't leave either for MONTHS and clean it well with fresh water when you get it apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts