Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in SWMO. I paddle class 2 now and I am wanting to move up into the class 3/4 in some Arkansas runs. I have done a lot of rec kayaking and I am wanting to learn to roll, eddy, surf, etc. when I get the skills I need I would like to give the IVs a try on the Ark river in CO. I have found good deals on a remix 79 and a Jackson Superhero. Both are in excellent condition. Any recommendations on which might be best to start/ learn in? Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Either boat would be fine for learning. And fine for medium IV flows on the Ark.

I have a remix and am most impressed by big water performance. Very fast. Punches big holes w/ ease. Not a creeker but unless you start doing V creeks you might be better of with the Remix. The 79 is a big boat. I'm 180lb and the 69 has plenty of volume.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I have paddled both and personally I liked the design and handling of the Hero better but liked Liquid Logic's outfitting better. Either should serve your purposes just fine. I say go with whichever is less expensive, assuming they are in similar condition.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm probably the only person on its board who doesn't like the LL outfitting. Seems links an old sofa to me. Mushy and imprecise. But then for many years dish for me was some ethafoam in a fiberglass seat.

I have a remix79 and while it's not my favorite boat, it does everything pretty well and you can continue to grow in it for several years. IMO the superhero, which I've only paddled a little is slower and not as good for big water runs. But I like Jackson's outfitting better.

There, my $0.02.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I agree about LL outfitting feeling like worn out la-z-boy, but I hate the Jackson rope system...

·
Registered
20 Posts
So for my two cents.
My brother & another friend both have Remixes and they have moved onto a Bazooka & a Hero. The general characteristic they have both expressed (paraphrased) is it's a good intro boat but once you figure kayaking class III on up you'll want something a little more responsive.
The people I know with the Hero's like their boats and have been able to fill out their stable with river-playboats & playboats rather than working on a new river runner/creeker.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I actually agree about the LL outfitting. It is indeed comfy...but it is a bit too comfy. It is too soft and cushy. I don't particularly like Jackson outfitting either as I have had a the rope come out of the cleat in numerous less than opportune times. I also do not like the happyfeet; there is too much give. The outfitting that I like the most currently is the new Dagger outfitting.

As far as the Remix 79 vs. Superhero...They are both fine boats to learn in and step up to bigger/harder stuff in. The Remix is obviously longer and has a bit rounder of a hull. The Superhero is shorter but has more volume. The Superhero is very stable. Remix would be better for big water where the longer waterline will help with speed and thus hole punching. I would also recommend checking out a Mamba 8.6 if you can find a deal/demo.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm probably the only person on its board who doesn't like the LL outfitting. Seems links an old sofa to me. Mushy and imprecise. But then for many years dish for me was some ethafoam in a fiberglass seat.

I have a remix79 and while it's not my favorite boat, it does everything pretty well and you can continue to grow in it for several years. IMO the superhero, which I've only paddled a little is slower and not as good for big water runs. But I like Jackson's outfitting better.

There, my $0.02.
Boy, I just read this again and it looks like my phone auto spell went on vacation. I'm not even sure what I'm saying in some parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts